Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,769,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Looking at career stats in a large number of playoff games a case can be made for West, Karl Malone,Duncan and Olajuwon all being in the top 10. Jabbar, O'neil, Jordan, Bryant, Russel, Bird and Chamberlain seem like the shoe in's. I'll expand my list to 13 and include Johnson and Erving as the 'scrubs' since Magic never won a title without Kareem and Dr J's best days were really back in the old ABA when he was the ultimate highlight real that no one has come close to duplicating IMHO..

NBA.com:

Also worthy of mention based on career stats a decent list of all time great from Robertson, Baylor, Hayes, Moses Malone, Wilkins, Havlicek and Pettit round out my all time top 20. This is tough as no Knick player made it and others like Iverson and Gervin did have the numbers. Oh well maybe Dirk, Lebron and Dwade make it down the road<g>

NBA.com

Nice to see Moses Malone's name, did he win 2 or three MVP's? Moses was a work horse plus he taught my favorite player Barkely how to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,496,908 times
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,201,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was having this discussion with friends and family over the weekend. We came up with a list, and a few of these names were challenged. I put those names in bold.

1. Jordan
2. Wilt
3. Kareem
4. Magic
5. Dr. J
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Kobe
8. Russell
9. Shaq
10. Bird

It's hard to argue that Bird, Russell, or Shaq shouldn't be on this list. They have rings. But the argument was that Bill Russell was one-dimensional and dominated the sport at a time when it was not that competitive. The argument against Shaq is that he's not nearly as skilled as Olajuwon or Ewing even though he has rings. And the argument against Bird is that Dirk Nowitzki is currently better than Bird ever was, which means he has no business being on the list (assuming that Dirk is not a Top 10 player. hint: He's not).

For the most part, I agree with all 10 selections, but I wanted to hear what other people had to say about the list. How about Duncan or Karl Malone? Is there any space for Isiah? Jerry West? Elgin Baylor?
I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Bill Russell was one-dimensional and dominated the sport when it wasn't competitive:

1) The Celtics won 11 NBA titles in Russell's 13 seasons with the team. They won ZERO titles before he joined the team and didn't win another title until 5 years after he retired (and had a losing record in the season immediately after he retired).

2) Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor are all mentioned above, and all of those guys were prevented from winning NBA titles during most of Bill Russell's career because Russell's teams won almost every year. If you mention 4 guys who were contemporaries of Russell among the 15 players or so mentioned, doesn't that say that the NBA WAS competitive during Bill Russell's career? No one says (nor IMO should anyone say) the NBA wasn't competitive when Magic's Lakers teams and Bird's Celtics teams combined to win 8 NBA titles in a 9 year stretch between 1980 and 1988.

3) Bill Russell was not a one-dimensional player. He focused his talents on defense and rebounding, but people need to realize that the 1960s Celtics had a whole bunch of good offensive players and that meant Russell didn't need to score a ton of points for his team to win. Additionally, many of Russell's blocked shots were blocked in such a way that they helped his Celtics teams start fastbreaks, which obviously helped lead to a lot of points on the offensive end for the Celtics. Finally, I think I remember reading recently that Russell finished second on his team in assists pretty much every year he played, despite playing center. If a center is doing that, he's obviously making a solid contribution to his team's offense.

I'm not sure if Bill Russell was the greatest basketball player of all-time (I actually don't think he was, but he's top 3 for sure), but I do strongly believe he was the greatest team player and winner in a team sport (not just basketball) of all-time. That latter part counts for a lot when you're talking about the greatest players; it tells you, along with a number of the items I mentioned above, that Russell did a huge amount to make his teams better.

BTW, like other people I'd put Larry Bird higher on that list, definitely higher than Julius Erving (and I say that as a 76ers fan whose favorite player when I was young was Dr. J). Actually, wherever you rank Magic Johnson, you should also rank Larry Bird, like 5A and 5B. I also wouldn't rank Kobe Bryant ahead of Magic and Bird, Oscar Robertson, or Shaq.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,114 times
Maybe if you are looking at longevity or influence on the game as a whole then I could see noting Dr. J but otherwise Lebron is a far better basketball player with a much bigger impact on the court.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,379,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Bill Russell was one-dimensional and dominated the sport when it wasn't competitive:
This was an argument against him being included in the Top 10. I never said I made that argument.

Quote:
2) Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor are all mentioned above, and all of those guys were prevented from winning NBA titles during most of Bill Russell's career because Russell's teams won almost every year. If you mention 4 guys who were contemporaries of Russell among the 15 players or so mentioned, doesn't that say that the NBA WAS competitive during Bill Russell's career? No one says (nor IMO should anyone say) the NBA wasn't competitive when Magic's Lakers teams and Bird's Celtics teams combined to win 8 NBA titles in a 9 year stretch between 1980 and 1988.
The idea was that the League was much smaller and thus lacked the depth of today's League.

Quote:
BTW, like other people I'd put Larry Bird higher on that list, definitely higher than Julius Erving (and I say that as a 76ers fan whose favorite player when I was young was Dr. J). Actually, wherever you rank Magic Johnson, you should also rank Larry Bird, like 5A and 5B. I also wouldn't rank Kobe Bryant ahead of Magic and Bird, Oscar Robertson, or Shaq.
I didn't "rank" the players. I think the numbers are throwing people off. It's just a list of the Top 10 players.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:18 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,013,353 times
Quote:
This was an argument against him being included in the Top 10. I never said I made that argument.

The idea was that the League was much smaller and thus lacked the depth of today's League.

I didn't "rank" the players. I think the numbers are throwing people off. It's just a list of the Top 10 players.
the fact that the league was smaller i think hurts the argument that it was weaker. teams could field a much better team because the league was not watered down by "spreading the wealth" of talent. think of it this way, if the nba dropped today from 30 to 15 teams (cutting it in half obviously) then players like say matt bonner would not be in the league. taking the best 210 players in teh league and spreading them out among 15 teams means teams would have better players. think about a team like miami, lebron wade and bosh, now throw in lopez, and say jameer nelson into the starting 5. or a lakers team with chris paul as the PG, and manu and duncan coming off the bench. see the talent pool is much tighter so the better players get in making the competition tougher. its like a 15 team fantasy league with no salary limits.

if you didnt rank them then it sure threw us all off.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,221,976 times
Quote:

Not true, even though there are more skilled players now, they are also spread over more teams. You don't think todays players benefit by playing the Raptors, Clippers, T-Wolves, (hate to say it) and Kings? More teams, doesn't mean the competition is deeper lol. It just means there are more teams.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM

10,647 posts, read 15,915,560 times
1.Michael Jordan

2-5 (No Order):
LeBron James
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain

6-10 (No Order):
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal
Bill Russell
Oscar Robertson
Hakeem Olajuwon

Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Not true, even though there are more skilled players now, they are also spread over more teams. You don't think todays players benefit by playing the Raptors, Clippers, T-Wolves, (hate to say it) and Kings? More teams, doesn't mean the competition is deeper lol. It just means there are more teams.

I definitely think the NBA could benefit from getting rid of 4-6 teams... Would make the competition much better. There just aren't enough talented basketball players in the world to field the current 30 team league.

We should probably just rank players with their generation... because its a can of worms comparing Russell & Wilt with Lebron & Kobe.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,256,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Flame away...
1. Magic
2. Jordan
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Russell
6. Kareem
7. Shaq
8. Kobe
9. Bird
10. Hakeem
How many rings does Magic have? How many wins does magic have? How many points does magic have? How many MVPs does Magic have?

And Kobe is not in the top ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball