Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times

Advertisements

I'd say that's a relatively even matchup, perhaps slight advantages in one or two positions but no glaring mismatches.

What about my starters vs my bench?

Shaq
Duncan
Pippen
Drexler
Payton

vs

Ewing
Mourning
Lebron
Richmond
West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Clear advantadge for the 4 and 5 on your starters. I'd favor LeBron over Pippen and then the guards are a wash, especially when you look at them as a unit.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
What do you guys think - group A or B?

Group A

C - Olajuwon
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Aguirre
SG - Wade
PG -Paul

Group B

C - Chamberlain
PF - McHale
SF - Dantley
SG - Allen
PG - Kidd

While Group B has more of a legacy, I think A is just plain nasty. I've also got Gervin and Shawn Kemp on the end of the bench.
I think both forwards in group A score from same areas and aren't always interested in defense. Why not start McHale instead of Stoudemire, gives you another starting frontcourt player who is a good defender and a little more diversity on offense as he's a true post-up back to the basket player.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Clear advantadge for the 4 and 5 on your starters. I'd favor LeBron over Pippen and then the guards are a wash, especially when you look at them as a unit.
Ewing would get numbers on Shaq, bear in mind that in the 2000's Shaq never played a center as good as the great 90's centers, Ewing in that list. Advantage Shaq, but Ewing would get his, remembering that Ewing scored a lot from the midrange, an area where Shaq isn't likely to venture out to in order to guard him. Mourning defending Duncan is an intriguing matchup, given Mourning's defensive abilities.

Lebron over Pippen under normal conditions, but with Shaq and Duncan packing the paint, the onus will be on Lebron to hit jumpshots. Pippen has the length and athleticism to keep up with Lebron on the perimeter, and of course it depends on what rules we're playing under. If it's pre 2000's rules where handchecking is allowed, that affords Pippen the ability to defend Lebron more aggressively.

Richmond and Drexler would probably cancel each other out, I have to think that the Glove would give West fits defensively though.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'd say that's a relatively even matchup, perhaps slight advantages in one or two positions but no glaring mismatches.

What about my starters vs my bench?
Both solid, although I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Mourning at PF thing. I think he's a true center and he should anchor a team defensively in the paint, not get drawn out 20 feet from the rim chasing a Stoudemire or Karl Malone jumpshot.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I have to think that the Glove would give West fits defensively though.
Funny thing is this might be your biggest low-up mismatch, at least to force defensive rotations and create other openings

Payton was an outstanding postup guard, he'd even take it to bigger guys like Jason Kidd in the paint. Jerry West was 6'2, 175 lbs, he'd get murdered in there.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Ewing would get numbers on Shaq, bear in mind that in the 2000's Shaq never played a center as good as the great 90's centers, Ewing in that list. Advantage Shaq, but Ewing would get his, remembering that Ewing scored a lot from the midrange, an area where Shaq isn't likely to venture out to in order to guard him. Mourning defending Duncan is an intriguing matchup, given Mourning's defensive abilities.

Lebron over Pippen under normal conditions, but with Shaq and Duncan packing the paint, the onus will be on Lebron to hit jumpshots. Pippen has the length and athleticism to keep up with Lebron on the perimeter, and of course it depends on what rules we're playing under. If it's pre 2000's rules where handchecking is allowed, that affords Pippen the ability to defend Lebron more aggressively.

Richmond and Drexler would probably cancel each other out, I have to think that the Glove would give West fits defensively though.
I always thought Ewing was softer than people thought and a guy as big as shaq would punish him imo.

Agree on the LBJ/Pip part, whenever these types of drafts are done the LBJ/Pip comparisons are always a good discussion. It would have been great to be able to see these two in their primes square off.

I was originally thinking that while the Glove would D up West, he wouldn't give you that much production on the other end. However, after looking over his career numbers two things stand out that I had forgotten about pertaining to Payton: 1) He was a rather efficent scorer in his prime, and 2) even though I read it on the forums I always forget he was part of that Heat championship team. I feel like he retired in 2002.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Both solid, although I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Mourning at PF thing. I think he's a true center and he should anchor a team defensively in the paint, not get drawn out 20 feet from the rim chasing a Stoudemire or Karl Malone jumpshot.

Remember that while Mourning played center in the NBA, he was actually a PF at Georgetown next to Mutumbo( imagine trying to score on THAT frontline). I always viewed him as a power forward playing center. Or at the least, I don't think he's 'out of place' playing either spot. Much of this depends on the matchups...

I also have Webber waiting in the wings as well....

Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

I was originally thinking that while the Glove would D up West, he wouldn't give you that much production on the other end. However, after looking over his career numbers two things stand out that I had forgotten about pertaining to Payton: 1) He was a rather efficent scorer in his prime, and 2) even though I read it on the forums I always forget he was part of that Heat championship team. I feel like he retired in 2002.
Glove is one of the best 2-way guards to play the game, which is precisely why I picked him. He could easily play the SG spot if need be, he had those kinds of scoring skills.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM

78,384 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:

I generally agree with your assessment. I would note that Lebron has never been guarded by a player like Pippen in his prime. Remember Pippen guarding Magic very effectively in the Bulls first championship run? I personally think that they would neutralize each other since Pippen can hound Lebron a bit knowing the paint is anchored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball