Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times

Advertisements

Just because the Bulls didn't have any other allstar players besides Jordan and Pippen doesn't mean they would not have been able to beat the Rockets. The Bulls of that time had the NBA's best TEAM DEFENSE and could neutralize most teams' offensive attacks. However...

During the Bulls 3 season championship run, the Rockets were 5-1 against the Bulls during the regular seasons so it's possible the Rockets could have beaten them one of those seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
As I said to begin ththis thread, I believe the Bulls would have won both years. Meanwhile the Rockets would have gone the way of the Jazz...

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Jordan wasn't really burnt out... He left the game because his father was killed and they had talked about him playing baseball, so he gave it a shot in honor of his father. If his father is not killed, he most likely wins 8 straight... and would have played another year to try and beat the Celtics all time consecutive amount. so thanks to some crazy ass killers we were robbed of seeing that!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
It's very possible, but I'm sure Jordan would've came through for the wins. What about 3peat Bulls vs. 3peat Lakers. That'd be a great matchup.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Jordan wasn't really burnt out...
In one of Jordan's videos, Phil Jackson commented that he didn't have the same 'thirst' for the game that he once had( this was the 93 season, last of the first 3peat). So that does sound like burn-out to a degree, perhaps mental more than anything.

As far as Jordan leaving the game 'because' of his father, I've also heard stories that his retirement was actually a 'hush-hush' suspension from the game due to his gambling issues; Commissioner Stern instead of 'officially' suspending his marquee name, told Jordan to 'retire'. Of course that's just rumor, but one I've heard quite often...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
I think if you would have put Jordan on any half way decent team, they would have won it all.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Quote:
Jordan wasn't really burnt out... He left the game because his father was killed and they had talked about him playing baseball, so he gave it a shot in honor of his father. If his father is not killed, he most likely wins 8 straight... and would have played another year to try and beat the Celtics all time consecutive amount. so thanks to some crazy ass killers we were robbed of seeing that!

Agreed...Bulls would have won 8 straight

Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
In one of Jordan's videos, Phil Jackson commented that he didn't have the same 'thirst' for the game that he once had( this was the 93 season, last of the first 3peat). So that does sound like burn-out to a degree, perhaps mental more than anything.

As far as Jordan leaving the game 'because' of his father, I've also heard stories that his retirement was actually a 'hush-hush' suspension from the game due to his gambling issues; Commissioner Stern instead of 'officially' suspending his marquee name, told Jordan to 'retire'. Of course that's just rumor, but one I've heard quite often...

Please telling me your kidding with both of these arguments...

Michael Jordan was burnt out because Phil Jackson, NOT Michael Jordan himself, said he didn't have the same "thirst"...

And if all else fails for a legitamite reason to back up ones argument... resort to CONSPIRACY THEORIES...

Last edited by Mr. GE; 07-07-2011 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Please telling me your kidding with both of these arguments...

Michael Jordan was burnt out because Phil Jackson, NOT Michael Jordan himself, said he didn't have the same "thirst"...

And if all else fails for a legitamite reason to back up ones argument... resort to CONSPIRACY THEORIES...
For my first point, the 'thirst' comment came from Jordan himself, Phil was simply quoting him. Paraphrasing, Jordan told Jackson ' If I don't have the drive, if I don't have the thirst to play basketball and it's not as much fun anymore, than I'm going to lose my gift.' Those words were supposedly said BY Jordan himself. If you don't believe me, that's on you. I have no reason to lie about it. In fact Jordan, during his retirement speech, said( paraphrasing again): 'When I don't have the motivation to prove anymore as a basketball player, than it's time to move away from the game of Basketball'. For the record, the name of the video is Michael Jordan: Above and beyond. There's a section in there that talks specifically about his retirement, which is when Phil made the above comments, again Phil was quoting WHAT JORDAN TOLD HIM. It wasn't something he pulled out of his a** for s**ts and giggles.

For my second point, did I say that was what actually happened? I said it was a rumor. Reality is you have no more clue than I do of why Jordan actually retired, other than what he's stated for the record. But saying 'when I don't have the motivation to prove, it's time to move away' has nothing to do with his father's death. What he did say was that he was pleased that his father saw his last game. But it is reported that Jordan was planning on stepping away BEFORE his father passed away, after winning the 3rd championship.

So no, I'm not kidding. I'm using books I've read, videos I've seen with quotes from both Jordan and Phil to arrive at my comments. You're using....what, exactly?

EDIT: AH, the power of Youtube. Here's the entire video. Start watching it from around the 7 minute mark. Jordan HIMSELF says that no-one aside from he and his father knew he was leaving the game after the 3peat, BEFORE his father's death. Which, at most, validated his decision but was not the initial driving force for Jordan's retirement plans. He had clearly planned on retiring before his father's death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDA1QaOlX2g

Last edited by Roman77; 07-07-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
The 95 Rockets as a 6 seed beat the teams with the four best records in the NBA - without home court advantage.

Phoenix - 59 wins
Utah - 60 wins
SA - 62 wins
Orlando - 57 wins

I think they could have handled the Bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball