Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Look, a guy like Hakeem would absolute cream today's big men. So would David Robinson, and to a lesser extent Ewing. I mean people go gah-gah over someone like Andrew Bynum as far as 'potential'... this guy wouldn't be anything special 20 years ago, even at his best( which you rarely see as he's more injured than anything).

The reality is very few guys today have truly great fundamental games. D. Wade, who I love as a player, doesn't really have great fundamentals. I don't think Lebron does either. Look at Jordan, I mean REALLY look at Jordan. The guy was incredibly sound fundamentally, that's what allowed him to dominate well into his 30's. Too many people look at the flash without the substance behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I like Dwight Howard, but he's less dominant in this era of few really good bigmen, than the great centers of the 90's were playing in a much better era for bigmen. I mean seriously.... You had Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, Ewing at the top. Then you had guys like Alonzo Mourning and Mutumbo on the next tier, right down to guys like Rik Smits, Rony Seikaly, Vlade Divac,Kevin Willis who were 'decent' bigs. The center position had far more quality bigs 20 years ago.
Shaq spilled over to Dwights era, and was kind of in his "own era" when he was dominating. Hakeem - I'll give you, but I think Howard will put up better #s than Robinson and Ewing and yes, we should consider that he is doing it in an era in which there are less dominant bigs, but thats not really his fault

Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM

406 posts, read 580,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Personally, the big difference between then and now is the rules. Flopping is allowed. Hand checks are huge fouls now. People in the 80s were allowed to play defense.

As for players, they are OVERALL way more athletic today. Who in the 80s had a build like Dwight Howard? The amount of players with insane verts outway the few from before... guys like Robinson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, ...

Players were equally athletic back in the day. Dominique, MJ, Dr. J., Barkley, Michael Cooper, Mychal Thompson, Drexler, Terrence Stansbury, KJ. All were explosive and/or could jump out of the gym. Players don't need to be buff like Dwight.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
but I think Howard will put up better #s than Robinson
Doubt it.....Dwight can't put up the kind of all-around numbers that David Robinson put up in THIS era, I highly doubt he does it in David's era. David in his MVP prime was putting up 27-29 points a game. Dwight, even with his offensive improvement this past year, hasn't sniffed that kind of offensive production.

Hell, David never averaged LESS than 3.2 blocks his first 7 seasons, Dwight Howard has never averaged MORE than 2.9. Dwight's the slightly better rebounder but that's about his only real advantage, and it's not an extreme one. The Admiral has him in just about every other category.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
Players were equally athletic back in the day. Dominique, MJ, Dr. J., Barkley, Michael Cooper, Mychal Thompson, Drexler, Terrence Stansbury, KJ. All were explosive and/or could jump out of the gym. Players don't need to be buff like Dwight.
SHAWN KEMP!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

406 posts, read 580,630 times
Quote:
SHAWN KEMP!

I was referring to the 80s, but Kemp too. He was an explosive monster. He was Amare Stoudemire with much better defense.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
I was referring to the 80s, but Kemp too. He was an explosive monster. He was Amare Stoudemire with much better defense.
Well most of the players you referenced could equally be considered 90's players too: Jordan, Drexler, Kevin Johnson, Barkley.

And Amare can only dream of the kind of game Kemp had. That guy could snare the rebound, go coast to coast in a flash, and finish with POWER. Check this out( check the play from the 40 second mark, PHEW!):

YouTube - ‪Shawn Kemp Top 10 Dunks‬‏

Kemp would be a freak even by today's standards.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM

247 posts, read 266,366 times
The 90s had some pretty bad arse uniforms. Chicago Bulls, if you wanted me to be specific.

As time passes by, new offenses and defenses develop and the game changes for every team. I was born in 1990 and watched basketball for the last 20 years and experienced all the changes to this modern era of the NBA. :]

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Doubt it.....Dwight can't put up the kind of all-around numbers that David Robinson put up in THIS era, I highly doubt he does it in David's era. David in his MVP prime was putting up 27-29 points a game. Dwight, even with his offensive improvement this past year, hasn't sniffed that kind of offensive production.

Hell, David never averaged LESS than 3.2 blocks his first 7 seasons, Dwight Howard has never averaged MORE than 2.9. Dwight's the slightly better rebounder but that's about his only real advantage, and it's not an extreme one. The Admiral has him in just about every other category.
Dwight #s are on the up, he was at 23 a game last season, I don't think it is outrageous to think he could get to 27/game. Next season he will be 26, and when Robinson was 26, he averaged 23/game. Robinson then peaked at 28 and steadily dropped his production over the next several seasons as far as ppg goes.

As far as blocks go, I know you have watched Dwight play, they call a lot of bad fouls on him - if the Admril had to deal with that his block #s would be down.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
David couldn't guard Howard, just like how he couldn't guard Shaq. Howard's pure size and domination would be unmatched if being able to play in that era in which they actually allowed big men to battle in the post (i.e. he would never be in foul trouble). It would be insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin070388
Players were equally athletic back in the day. Dominique, MJ, Dr. J., Barkley, Michael Cooper, Mychal Thompson, Drexler, Terrence Stansbury, KJ. All were explosive and/or could jump out of the gym.
That time there are a few but not to the comparison of "these days". Barkley is a real stretch. [lame joke]Have you seen his golf game?[/lame joke]

Look guys like J.R. Smith and Shannon Brown are bench guys. Guys you named for the most part are starters including the mention of Shawn Kemp. Notice I didn't include in my original list the most athletic of the current players i.e. Lebron. Again, there are way more OVERALL athletic players today than there was then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball