Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yao will get in easily.

This is just the players list, you can also get in for being a referee, owner etc. It is NOT the NBA HOF it is the Naismith BASKETBALL HOF.

List of players in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of obscure foreign players that never even set foot in the NBA make the HOF....not to mention the ladies, college coaches and so on and so forth.

IF there were a separate NBA HOF then no....Yao doesn't get in.
Quote:
It's NOT the NBA HOF. So everything they did as an ambassador of the sport, olympics, world championships, etc etc etc counts. Heck, you can make the NAISMITH BASKETBALL HOF in a number of ways without ever stepping foot on the NBA court.

Once we clear up this point it makes the whole discussion a lot easier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
It's NOT the NBA HOF. So everything they did as an ambassador of the sport, olympics, world championships, etc etc etc counts. Heck, you can make the NAISMITH BASKETBALL HOF in a number of ways without ever stepping foot on the NBA court.

Once we clear up this point it makes the whole discussion a lot easier.
What did he do besides get a bunch of Chinese people to watch the NBA? Are we going to elect every player who is the first decent player from their country? I mean should the first decent player from Japan get in because more people watch in Japan because there is a Japanese player in the NBA?

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 07-14-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What did he do besides get a bunch of Chinese people to watch the NBA? Are we going to elect every player who is the first decent player from their country? I mean should the first decent player from Japan get in because more people watch in Japan because there is a Japanese player in the NBA?
I posted this earlier, but for your benefit will do so again:

Yao has also participated in many charity events during his career, including the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program.[140] In the NBA's offseason in 2003, Yao hosted a telethon, which raised 300,000 U.S. dollars to help stop the spread of SARS.[141] In September 2007, he held an auction that raised 965,000 U.S. dollars (6.75 million yuan),[142] and competed in a charity basketball match to raise money for underprivileged children in China. He was joined by fellow NBA stars Steve Nash, Carmelo Anthony, and Baron Davis, and movie star Jackie Chan.[143] After the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, Yao donated $2 million to relief work, and created a foundation to help rebuild schools destroyed in the earthquake.[144]

As Mathguy alluded to, there are people in the hall of fame who never even played high-level basketball. Taken on the merits of his NBA career, he's not a hall of famer. However, combine his charity work, ambassador role, and the combo of his NBA and international career( FIBA and olympic competition) and you have a case. I'm not saying he's a lock, or that he'd get in the first time he's eligible. But I think he has a case...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
For the third time, it's not the NBA Hall of Fame.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Let me put it this way, what did Cheryl miller do for the nba but she is in? What did dicky v do to get in but he is in. Hell bill waltons NBA career wasn't really better then Yao, his collage career, he might have been the greatest collage player ever. The BASKETBALL hof has room for people who impact the game. The rockets get 100,000,000 viewers and purchaser everygame. Hall Yao did more for Tracy and Stevie franchises careers then they did themselves.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
When I read an article the other day about this, all the ESPN guys said he was definitely going to get in and bringing a fan base was a major factor. I totally disagree with that logic. I thought the HOF was for the elite players. I didn't know that ticket sales and tv revenue put you in the hall. Ridiculous!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When I read an article the other day about this, all the ESPN guys said he was definitely going to get in and bringing a fan base was a major factor. I totally disagree with that logic. I thought the HOF was for the elite players. I didn't know that ticket sales and tv revenue put you in the hall. Ridiculous!!!
Take a look at the list of people in the NBA hall of fame. You'll see tons of names that aren't elite. Isn't a guy like dick vitale in the hall of fame? What was his contribution to basketball? Coining the phrase 'he's a PTPer,baby!'. Chick Hearn, the legendary Lakers play by play man was voted in for his commentary.

The reality is whether we agree with the criteria or not, entrance into the hall of fame isn't solely based on oncourt achievement,it's based on making a significant contribution to the game of basketball, which is a very broad term. One can make the argument that Yao ,with his various off-court charity work while representing the NBA, fits the description. Ultimately it's a decision for the hall of fame panel to decide....

Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sweet Jesus.

For the FOUTH TIME The NAISMITH HOF is NOT even just for PLAYERS.

I posted the picture of ralph eating paste for the last guy.....at this point I give up in disgust.

Go watch Jersey Shore. Have someone explain it.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:

HEY, pauly d is funny as hell!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Sweet Jesus.

For the FOUTH TIME The NAISMITH HOF is NOT even just for PLAYERS.

I posted the picture of ralph eating paste for the last guy.....at this point I give up in disgust.

We are talking about Yao Ming,who was a PLAYER. We're not talking about commentators, so get a life and keep your idiotic comments to yourself. I 100% realize that managers as well as others in ALL SPORTS go into their respective Hall of Fames but based on PLAY, I didn't think Yao should be in. Next time read between the lines. Now YOU can go back to watching the Jersey Shore. I didn't think a simple comment would go over ones head,but apparently someone who would watch a show like that with those brain dead idiots, would miss my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball