Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM

211 posts, read 370,196 times

Advertisements

I'm an avid basketball fan and I think it is quite a few basketball programs that should be better.

Michigan wolverines they had a decent year last year but all the yeats since the ed martin scandal horrendous especially when u know michigan is prime recruiting territory.

Virginia
Providence
Oklahoma
All should be better in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
No arguments here on University of Virginia...they were decent at one time, but now they arent. In football, a lot of good Virginia prospects are going to Virginia Tech--if they stay in state...but in basketball? Well, I guess they are just going out of state. I know it isnt easy to get quality size, but it seems like the Cavs have gone quite some time without a quality big man...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Penn State. Just cant seem to attract talent consistently or top talent.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Providence is picking up its recruiting (two potential Mickey D All-Americans), but will be hurt by the dissolution of the Big East.

Missouri's program isn't terrible, but the Tigers have never made a Final Four.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
No arguments here on University of Virginia...they were decent at one time, but now they arent. In football, a lot of good Virginia prospects are going to Virginia Tech--if they stay in state...but in basketball? Well, I guess they are just going out of state. I know it isnt easy to get quality size, but it seems like the Cavs have gone quite some time without a quality big man...
Out of state? Georgetown, Old Dominion, and Richmond have good programs that are within area. All who currently has better programs that Virginia. Heck, even their rival VT has received better talent. Note VCU has also been good over the past 5 years. If you include the borders, you have Maryland and West Virgnia, both good basketball schools, who could get the pick of the litter in Virginia/DC area if they want.

To Providence, blame the Big East. They play dominant competition in and out and they never will get better, especially since those schools can get national talent, not just kids from their states.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Penn State. Just cant seem to attract talent consistently or top talent.
I don't think PSU should be .... it's a football school .... the two large metros in the state have competative programs (pitt & nova) ... not to mention all the other programs that can occasionally flare up

they also have to deal with programs like Syracuse

they are in kind of a basketball dead zone

Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I don't think PSU should be .... it's a football school .... the two large metros in the state have competative programs (pitt & nova) ... not to mention all the other programs that can occasionally flare up

they also have to deal with programs like Syracuse

they are in kind of a basketball dead zone

Well there is a ton of talent in the PSU recruiting area. Yes Pitt, Nova, even Temple grab talent but really Nova recruits primarily from NYC (even some DC/VA) and many players from outside the cities get gobbled up by the likes of UConn (They have stolen many players from the Harrisburg area as one example that could have been gotten by PSU, Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton to name a few).

For the record I am huge Big East fan (curious on the Cuse Pitt fall out) and even the Philly big 5 but always felt that PSU could do much better in regards to hoops. Agree football will always be number one there (But Michigan can do both etc.) PSU is drinking town with a football problem

Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM

agree about state college - we used to go over there for the weekend and party

it's hard for most schools to do both and with PSU the alumni, the students, the community, everything is centered on football

it's hard for them to compete against some of the basketball powers .... maybe if they got a dynamic coach in there and a little bit more love with the facilities it could work .... but it's a pretty rare thing

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
agree about state college - we used to go over there for the weekend and party

it's hard for most schools to do both and with PSU the alumni, the students, the community, everything is centered on football

it's hard for them to compete against some of the basketball powers .... maybe if they got a dynamic coach in there and a little bit more love with the facilities it could work .... but it's a pretty rare thing

Agree on your last sentiments with the exception of facilites. the Bryce Jordan Center is quite nice though in some ways miss the old Rec Hall - in the vein of the Palestra and Cameron (well without the crazy energy they have)

http://www.bjc.psu.edu/About/

Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM

it's definitely a nice arena

I should probably be more clear on facilities though - a lot of the basketball schools have basketball specific training programs, practice centers, camp opportunities, etc that are very hard to compete with

for duke it would be the difference between Cameron Indoor and the Krzyzewski Center (which opened in 2008 & is an absolute gem - a $15M facility for all athletics, but obviously with basketball as it's central focus - both current & past players are free to train there)

syracuse opened new basketball specific facilities (Carmelo Anthony donated $3M to the cause and put his name on the facility - total cost $19M)

this is the way things are going for the major programs - it's as much about where will I train, what resources do you have for me to get better and what can you show me as far as getting to the next level

these facilities are connected to the sports alumni and they slap you in the face constantly with every ounce of success that the program has had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball