Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It was done originally because there wasn't any such thing as color TV 60 years ago; with one team wearing white, it was easy to tell the two teams apart on a black-and-white screen. I'm not sure why it was the home team that wore white, though.
That makes sense,
but come on, it's been 50 years since that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
^ What can I tell you? It's remained in effect. There may not be any reason to continue the practice any more, but it's still done.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It was done originally because there wasn't any such thing as color TV 60 years ago; with one team wearing white, it was easy to tell the two teams apart on a black-and-white screen. I'm not sure why it was the home team that wore white, though.
Actually, the home team wore white so that the fans would see different colors on the field/court with each game. The home team always wore white, and the visiting team wore a darker color. As the visiting teams changed, so did the colors.

In baseball, home whites originated because the home team had better access to laundry facilities; the visiting team wore grey so that the dirt wouldn't show up so much on their uniforms from day to day.

The home team not wearing white is a very recent thing.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,871 times
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_(sports)

Additionally, in baseball and basketball, the home team will typically choose to wear the lighter colored version of its uniform. In fact, many teams have a home uniform which is mostly white and referred to as the "home whites".The road team will generally wear a version of its uniform with one of the darker of its official colors as the main color, or in baseball with a grey main color referred to as the "road greys". In American football and hockey, the home team tends to wear uniforms that feature their team colors, whereas the visiting team will wear white or a lighter color.

The term "home whites" originated in the early days of Major League Baseball. Typically the visiting team had no access to laundry facilities and thus the players were unable to clean their uniforms on the road. By wearing grey or another dark color the visiting team was better able to conceal the dirt and grass stains that had accumulated on their uniforms over the course of the series. The home team, having access to laundry facilities, was able to wear clean white uniforms each day, hence the term "home whites".

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
I understand,
but come on, it's been over 50 years since that was the case.
They can't tell me that that's the reason for doing it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I understand,
but come on, it's been over 50 years since that was the case.
They can't tell me that that's the reason for doing it.
Not for all but that's the "general" reason yes... It's called tradition

Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm a soccer and basketball in soccer, the home team always wears their "First" jersey when they play at home, which make sense to me since most fans in the stadium are going to be wearing the same color.

Why is it that in basketball teams wear white (the "other" jersey) at home?

By the way, that is NOT always the case in NCAA basketball in the lower divisions.

In some leagues, schools will play "back to back" games on successive days. On Friday, the home team wears the "away" uniforms at home and the away team wears the "home" uniforms.

I will admit that it threw me for a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball