Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

So the magic, warriors, and hornets are trying to get Ellis to the magic. WHY??? It's going to be just like arenas, and carter before him. And they are willing to give up Ryan Anderson and reddick.

This is just so dumb to me.

Quote:
The Magic, Warriors and Hornets are in discussions on a three-team trade, two league sources confirmed.

Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Dorell Wright would be sent by the Warriors to the Magic.

Ryan Anderson, J.J. Redick, Hedo Turkoglu and Quentin Richardson would be the main outgoing pieces from Orlando.

The Hornets' exact involvement is unclear, but believed to be centered around Chris Kaman.*

No trade is imminent but talks are ongoing say sources.

Via Jarrod Rudolph/RealGM

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1ovogstKl.

Last edited by rigas; 03-12-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Frankly if I was the Bulls I wouldn't give up Deng. He's the only one on their roster who can credibly defend guys like Lebron and Durant. A package of Noah, Boozer, a 1st rebounder and whatever else is needed to make the numbers work would be better IMHO. Even with those guys gone, you'd still potentially have a front court of Howard, Gibson and Deng, which is a devastating defensive lineup, and build your offense around the inside- outside combo of Rose and Howard.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Im confused, are you guys saying don't give up Deng just in this rent a player scenario? I agree with that, but if you could get Howard long term, you ship Deng immediately, no? I'm a fan of his and the versatility he brings, but if you can have two top 5-7 players in the leauge, one being a guard and one being a center, that trumps having a player like Deng.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Im confused, are you guys saying don't give up Deng just in this rent a player scenario? I agree with that, but if you could get Howard long term, you ship Deng immediately, no? I'm a fan of his and the versatility he brings, but if you can have two top 5-7 players in the leauge, one being a guard and one being a center, that trumps having a player like Deng.
But from watching the Bulls game Deng is their 2nd best option on offense so I definitely would not involve Deng in any trade scenario. Not only that he is one of the Bulls good shooters on the team which is only a total of three players maybe four. Howard is a good center but when he is doubled team you need someone who can knock down a wide open jump shot.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I'm thinking that if I'm putting together a package for Howard, I'd give up Noah before Deng. The Bulls have 4 bigs: Noah, Boozer, Asik, Gibson. They only have one guy who can credibly defend guys like Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Melo, etc etc. Howard outright gives you everything you get with Noah, and more.

I think they're more than fine with shipping out Boozer and replacing him with Gibson. You gain bigtime defensively, and Howard's offensive output will help negate the loss of offense at that PF spot. If you're trading away Deng, you're leaving the Bulls vulnerable defensively at the small forward position which will come back to bite them in the ass against teams like Miami and OKC. Who is going to defend Lebron or Durant should the teams meet in the playoffs? Deng is also a credible offensive threat so you can't fall asleep on him at the defensive end. That scenario described above means the Bulls would be giving up their primary back-up bigman in Asik, their best perimeter defender and a reliable complementary scorer in Deng, and Boozer who once every 10 games will actually justify a max deal. My proposal is to trade Noah as Howard makes him expendable, trade Boozer as I don't think the Bulls title hopes lessen with him gone considering you're getting Howard, and throw in a 1st round draft pick. You keep Deng, and you also keep Asik to back up Howard. You've now got a killer defensive front court, and two guys that warrant and command double teams( Rose and Howard), at which point you're going to want someone like Deng around who can stick the open jumper off a double-team pass( and Rip Hamilton, when is he due back?).

I guess what I'm saying is I'd see if I could put together a package that doesn't include Deng first, and I think the Bulls have the pieces to do it. The perimeter position has become too important to let a guy with his defensive acumen go. I'd explore a few scenarios first before putting him out on the block from the get-go.

Last edited by Roman77; 03-12-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM

78,374 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm thinking that if I'm putting together a package for Howard, I'd give up Noah before Deng. The Bulls have 4 bigs: Noah, Boozer, Asik, Gibson. They only have one guy who can credibly defend guys like Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Melo, etc etc. Howard outright gives you everything you get with Noah, and more.

I think they're more than fine with shipping out Boozer and replacing him with Gibson. You gain bigtime defensively, and Howard's offensive output will help negate the loss of offense at that PF spot. If you're trading away Deng, you're leaving the Bulls vulnerable defensively at the small forward position which will come back to bite them in the ass against teams like Miami and OKC. Who is going to defend Lebron or Durant should the teams meet in the playoffs? Deng is also a credible offensive threat so you can't fall asleep on him at the defensive end. That scenario described above means the Bulls would be giving up their primary back-up bigman in Asik, their best perimeter defender and a reliable complementary scorer in Deng, and Boozer who once every 10 games will actually justify a max deal. My proposal is to trade Noah as Howard makes him expendable, trade Boozer as I don't think the Bulls title hopes lessen with him gone considering you're getting Howard, and throw in a 1st round draft pick. You keep Deng, and you also keep Asik to back up Howard. You've now got a killer defensive front court, and two guys that warrant and command double teams( Rose and Howard), at which point you're going to want someone like Deng around who can stick the open jumper off a double-team pass( and Rip Hamilton, when is he due back?).

I guess what I'm saying is I'd see if I could put together a package that doesn't include Deng first, and I think the Bulls have the pieces to do it. The perimeter position has become too important to let a guy with his defensive acumen go. I'd explore a few scenarios first before putting him out on the block from the get-go.
100% agree. Anytime you get the best center in the league coupled with a PG that is as good as any other PG in the league....you can fill in holes after that.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
I concur. Deng is a two-way kinda player. I would get rid of Boozer and Noah instead. I just find it interesting that Howard is reluctant to sign an extension with Chicago...just odd. Otherwise, a trade with Chicago would've occurred a couple of days ago. Funny how just two years ago, people in Chicago wanted to get rid of Deng...my how things have changed.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM

78,374 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
So the magic, warriors, and hornets are trying to get Ellis to the magic. WHY??? It's going to be just like arenas, and carter before him. And they are willing to give up Ryan Anderson and reddick.

This is just so dumb to me.
Other than getting lucky with the ping pong ball to get a no brainer pick like Dwight Howard I am hard pressed to cite ANY good moves made by Orlando management.

Gilbert Arenas *cough*.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Other than getting lucky with the ping pong ball to get a no brainer pick like Dwight Howard I am hard pressed to cite ANY good moves made by Orlando management.

Gilbert Arenas *cough*.
There hasn't been any. Otis Smith doesn't know what he's doing. He should have stuck with the team that got him to the Finals, with a young Courtney Lee, but instead he tried to change the team up too much. I will say they were fortunate to get Ryan Anderson out of that deal, but other than that, he has made moves that have made no sense. One thing that really gets me is how he didn't want to sign Hedo Turkoglu to that big deal, but then ended up trading for him with the same big deal he didn't want to pay him at first.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
I'm kind of surprised the Lakers didn't do the Gasol-Rondo deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball