Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Hoping that the Cavaliers are able to land a 1st round pick from the Lakers or Hawks or anybody else for Ramon Sessions now that they are falling fast after losing Varajeo to injury.
Agreed! I like Ramon on the teams, but he deserves to be a starter.

And I think Howard has a good chance at being shipped, just for the fact that Orlando will more than likely see him leave without getting a single thing for him. So, I could see them really trying to get a really good offer before the deadline. Who knows though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont see the lakers shipping fisher, and i dont see the cavs taking walton.
They'd only take walton to make the cap balance and get the pick....not for any playing ability.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 AM

520 posts, read 730,748 times
Don't the Cavs already have Miami's 1st round pick this year? Right now at 13-23, its looking like the Cavs will be in the lottery again, probably somewhere in the top ten picks. If they do have the Heats first rounder, than they'll most likely have a lottery pick and a late first rounder. They should just keep Sessions, unless they get a mid 1st round draft pick for him. I think it's very likely though they end up trading Sessions, Jamison, and possibly Daniel Gibson too.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
i expect howard does one of 2 things, either he stays in orlando and signs a new contract OR he goes someplace else via sign and trade over the summer (much like bosh/james but without the hype or "the decision"). i think he is "a nice enough guy" to at least help his old team that way, AND it means more money/longer terms of the new contract.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
What are they going to get for Howard in a sign and trade, maybe one above average player, a mediocre player/expiring contract and a late 1st rounder? Wouldn't that stick the magic in NBA hell of being a mediocre team with no chance of winning AND no chance of getting a high draft pick? Hell, letting him walk would be better than that. If you let him walk, you will suck your way into high draft picks and have a ton of financial room in the future.

I could be thinking about this wrong, as I know trades are a tad confusing in the NBA, and the matching salary thing is something I don't fully understand

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
the only problem with that thinking is that teams dont ever want to suck, and GMs and owners dont ever want to let a max player just walk. call it pride if you will but its like a mater of being able to walk away with your head up or hanging low in the league meetings. you know what i mean? owners dont want to meet with other owners (especially the new owner of your player).

Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
All options of ineptitude are on the table with regards to what Orlando might do.

Remember, these are the guys paying Gilbert Arenas about 20mil a year for this season and TWO MORE after that.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Don't the Cavs already have Miami's 1st round pick this year? Right now at 13-23, its looking like the Cavs will be in the lottery again, probably somewhere in the top ten picks. If they do have the Heats first rounder, than they'll most likely have a lottery pick and a late first rounder. They should just keep Sessions, unless they get a mid 1st round draft pick for him. I think it's very likely though they end up trading Sessions, Jamison, and possibly Daniel Gibson too.
No, they don't have Miami's 1st rounder this year, they have the option to swap picks with them this season, but obviously that isn't going to happen; they do have Miami's 2nd rounder which is virtually worthless being it will be at the end of the draft. They start getting Miami's 1st round picks next season and they will have another one that must be used by 2017; they also have another 2nd round pick from them, but not sure when that has to be used by.

I don't see the point in trading Jamison unless they can get something of value back, and not sure willing to give up a 1st rounder for him. I guess a team like Dallas may be able to use him off the bench, but just can't see him as a good fit.

Honestly, I'd be okay with the Cavs trading anyone except Irving, Thompson & Varajeo at this point going forward for the right deal. The only guy outside of those 3 that I see as being part of their 'core' going forward is possibly Alonzo Gee who has made really good strides this year, could see him as a solid guy coming off the bench for seasons to come.

I would do either of the trades you propose Mathguy for Sessions in a heartbeat. I think because of the trade exception the Lakers got for Odom, they can actually just take Sessions for a draft pick - don't need to match salaries - so they can just keep Fisher & Walton! Neither guy is ideal in a rebuild.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
And I think Howard has a good chance at being shipped, just for the fact that Orlando will more than likely see him leave without getting a single thing for him. So, I could see them really trying to get a really good offer before the deadline. Who knows though.
Reasons below are why I feel it won't happen.
1) 3 of his 4 choices would have problems signing him without a sign/trade. Fear of him walking is reduced.
2) Orlando will try to work a trade for a PG like Williams in order to appease Howard. They don't get it he potentially goes to NJ (the only one with cap to sign in FA) and will have a worse supporting cast than he has in Orlando.
3) Howard changes his mind daily. Dealing someone like that would be dumb since that day of potential trade he might want to still be a Magic player. They have to see how the cards fall so they don't make that mistake. Worst case, they finally reduce their cap.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
When I am hoping is the Knicks trade Anthony and Chandler for Howards.

Knicks need the defense and Howards will able to provide it. Anthony need a 1 man show, and he will get it in the Magic.

Since he returned to Knicks, they has been playing exactly how they were before he got injured: Just lack of energy to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball