Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times

Advertisements

I guess he also forgot players still have to make that shot. I have seen plenty of the opposite where the 3s didn't drop and the team lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
After watching a couple dozen MM games, I'm ready to get rid of the three point shot. It gives too much power to a one-dimensional player to negate a superior team effort. (Baylor's Heslip, for example --- Baylor was being outplayed.)

Say you're ahead in a close game, final couple of minutes. You get fouled, you make both shots, the other team answers with a three. You get fouled again, you make both shots, another three. You are doing everything right, but can't win. There are ways to counter that, such as a rule that a foul within ten seconds of getting possession in the backcourt is a three-shot foul, for example. But why complicate a game that is already overly complicated. Just abolish the 3-point shot.

How many of you who are also baseball fans want to see two runs on a home run? Or in football, points for a field goal rising with the distance of the kick. Or two points in hockey for a slapshot from the blue line. How many of you want a 4-point circle and a 5-point circle and six points from the backcourt?

It's just a bad rule. Go back to two points for using your possession of the ball to get it in the basket. That's it. Reward for overall play, not degree of difficulty.
I think it is better to get of 2 point dunk and make it just 1 point. I am sick and tire of "bully" like Howards who cannot shot and all he can do is use his body and dunk

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I think it adds more strategy in the right environment. Like 2 extra pieces on a chess board.

-Look at the bulls in the 90's. Perfect example of 3's being even more dangerous. You had very dangerous slashers to the hoop....Jordan and Pippen. But they could kick it out to Kerr, Paxson, Craig Hodges? It put the defense on their toes, you had to play team ball. You can't just idle around with dangerous 3 point shooters.

I think 3's have really opened the game up. Think of Michael Cooper, Danny Ainge, Majerle, Reggie Miller. Very different style of play than earlier.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
One thing to note might be that college needs to move their 3-pt. line out a foot or so to international distance.

The pro distance really separates the shooters when you get out another 3 feet or so further.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Excuse me no dunking was a rule in NCAA.
I love that people forget about the 'Lew Alcindor' rule. On some other topics around here, Kareem was just an old guy who shot hooks all his life and was carried by Magic!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
On topic--Dont forget to mention: Live by the 3, die by the 3. One can just as easily shoot themselves out of a game as well...you think Duke wants to go back and try to better that 6 for 26 effort against Lehigh?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
agree with the last point made by IXCell & also the one by Mathguy; I would rather see something done about the ridiculous amount of charging calls that have seeped into the game over the past few years. It's crazy, at this point, it's almost like if a defender just falls down when there is any contact they get the charge call. There is so much flopping it isn't funny. What ever happened to moving your feet and being strong and 'holding your own' on defense?? But as long as the NCAA allows guys like Ed Hightower, Ted Valentine, etc. to ref, there will be lots of charges called b/c that gives those guys a chance to show-off on their call and be seen.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,316 times
As Mathguy stated the three point line in college needs to be moved out further. I am not saying it should be nearly 24 feet like the NBA, but I would make it close. Right now any player that makes it to a division I team should be able to knock down a 20 foot jump shot with regularity. No its not a dunk, but is should not be a three point shot. That shot should be automatic for most wing players.

Extending the line another three (preferably four) feet makes it more challenging shot worthy of an extra point. Plus it would open up more driving lanes to the rim as it pulls the shooters further out. That stimulates more movement. One of my main gripes with college ball is the players are all jammed in the paint. Defenders can camp out in the lane and the area around the box stays congested.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM

45,581 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One thing to note might be that college needs to move their 3-pt. line out a foot or so to international distance.

The pro distance really separates the shooters when you get out another 3 feet or so further.
Exactly.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

45,581 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
agree with the last point made by IXCell & also the one by Mathguy; I would rather see something done about the ridiculous amount of charging calls that have seeped into the game over the past few years. It's crazy, at this point, it's almost like if a defender just falls down when there is any contact they get the charge call. There is so much flopping it isn't funny. What ever happened to moving your feet and being strong and 'holding your own' on defense?? But as long as the NCAA allows guys like Ed Hightower, Ted Valentine, etc. to ref, there will be lots of charges called b/c that gives those guys a chance to show-off on their call and be seen.
Pet peeve for me.

Most of those fouls are not charges as players slide in front of the ball handlers at the last second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball