Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,370 times

Advertisements

I do find it interesting that Kobe has shot them out of at least 2 games. Has Pau played great? No, but they need all those guys running on all cylinders.

And the Lakers bench with the exception of Hill has contributed pretty much close to nothing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
JL

8,520 posts, read 14,527,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Well it's been a hell of a run.

I'd be open to trading Kobe but I know if management would ever do that. And at this point in his career I'm not sure you could get a lot back in return.
Kobe will never be traded:

1). His salary for next season is 27mil and the following season, his last, is 30mil
2). He has a no trade kicker clause that jacks his salary another mil or two if he does.
3). No team will give up their young good assets for him
...if they do, they would have to gut their entire team due to his salary. No team is gonna start from scratch with a 34 yr old.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Kobe to NYC for melo straight up. Then the Knicks hire Phil Jackson to coach. Kobe/amare..... Kobe has another scapegoat, melo is a name so LA will love him at 1st.
Melo is a cancer on any team and is uncoachable. He wants to score and he doesn't make his teammates better. He belongs on a team not vying for a championship, where he can put up big numbers and collect his salary. Melo purely a numbers guy. I would not want to see him in LA.

Kobe should remain a Laker. He's still very talented, has a great work ethic, and is one of the best players in the league. He needs a better supporting cast though, and a better coach. I don't like Mike Brown is creative or talented enough to run that team. Kobe can't do it all. Bynum and Gasol are inconsistent.

I think the Lakers need to take a long look at Gasol, Bynum, and Artest. They are spotty performers. It would be a collosal mistake to build that team around Bynum. He doesn't have the character, the depth, the talent, or the athleticism to lead any team. He looks like just a big overgrown, immature, lazy, lead-legged boy to me. No substance, no intensity, overrated, limited skills. Lakers should ditch him. Gasol doesn't look the same. He seems worn, tired, too passive, and not able to be the impact player he once was. He should be replaced by someone who is younger, more explosive, more motivated. Shawn Kemp II is somewhere out there. As for Artest, he seems to play his ass off on defense. He's not very agile or good offensively. He may make a few 3 pointers if left open, or a few layups. He harrasses, intimidates, bangs, and overpowers. Not the Lakers's game. He belongs on the east coast. Lakers need to get this guy out of there, replace him with a more talented all-around player like Wade.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Melo is a cancer on any team and is uncoachable. He wants to score and he doesn't make his teammates better. He belongs on a team not vying for a championship, where he can put up big numbers and collect his salary. Melo purely a numbers guy. I would not want to see him in LA.

Kobe should remain a Laker. He's still very talented, has a great work ethic, and is one of the best players in the league. He needs a better supporting cast though, and a better coach. I don't like Mike Brown is creative or talented enough to run that team. Kobe can't do it all. Bynum and Gasol are inconsistent.

I think the Lakers need to take a long look at Gasol, Bynum, and Artest. They are spotty performers. It would be a collosal mistake to build that team around Bynum. He doesn't have the character, the depth, the talent, or the athleticism to lead any team. He looks like just a big overgrown, immature, lazy, lead-legged boy to me. No substance, no intensity, overrated, limited skills. Lakers should ditch him. Gasol doesn't look the same. He seems worn, tired, too passive, and not able to be the impact player he once was. He should be replaced by someone who is younger, more explosive, more motivated. Shawn Kemp II is somewhere out there. As for Artest, he seems to play his ass off on defense. He's not very agile or good offensively. He may make a few 3 pointers if left open, or a few layups. He harrasses, intimidates, bangs, and overpowers. Not the Lakers's game. He belongs on the east coast. Lakers need to get this guy out of there, replace him with a more talented all-around player like Wade.
LOL...you name everyone BUT the guy taking 1/3 your shots at below 40%. Kobe is AGED and is no longer what ...... oh nevermind.....it's hopeless. Go ahead, keep kobe, get rid of the other guys....it's all their fault.

Granted when they win....it's Kobe. Just not when they lose.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL...you name everyone BUT the guy taking 1/3 your shots at below 40%. Kobe is AGED and is no longer what ...... oh nevermind.....it's hopeless. Go ahead, keep kobe, get rid of the other guys....it's all their fault.

Granted when they win....it's Kobe. Just not when they lose.
Whatever, my son. I made some great points. Recognize.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Whatever, my son. I made some great points. Recognize.
Not really, you blamed everyone but Kobe and talked of trading off almost all the other starters for mythical characters.

Gotta love the Laker bandwagoners. It's like some sort of seasonal migration to the NBA threads, like the wildebeest roaming across the serengetti.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Let's recap Kobe's "crunchtime" numbers so far in this series.

Game 1: DNP in 4th quarter due to blow out.
Game 2: 2/7 in 4th quarter with no shots taken in the paint.
Game 3: 3/7 in 4th, 3 shots taken in paint.
Game 4: 2/10, 1 shot in paint.

Total shooting in 4th quarter, 7/24 with only 4 shots taken in the paint. That's about 29%.

Overall he is 37/96 or 38.5%

Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Default Now that Lakers are history, time to ditch Bynum

Ignore is great.

The Lakers are done. Hopefully, they can make the changes I suggested. Time to take that team in a new direction. I'd say that Kobe and Sessions are untouchable. Bynum, Gasol, and Artest need to get the boot at the very least. Nike Brown is done. I don't see him coming back. His team looked in disarray.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,437 times
I'd like to see a graphic, kobe in the 4th quarter, fg percentage. And clutch shots made. Versus Jordan.....who do you think is going to win that one?

-I think the lakers bench in the last 5 years was the most underrated aspect of their game. Imagine if this team had Vujacic, Walton, Farmar. Those guys, 1+1+1 didn't equal 3. It was like 5.

The lakers had some great intangibles when they had fish, odom, gasol and kobe. Things that don't show up in a boxscore.

I think tonights game against the thunder was a pretty pivotal game in the NBA. Definitely a changing of the guard. Like when the bulls emerged with Horace Grant and Jordan in the playoffs.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,710 times
I know that it will be the blame Gasol for this one, but I don't feel it's his fault. He's a big guy who is better with back to the basket, but can play outside-in as well. But Bynum is purely an inside player, so Gasol is limited in terms of his down in the blocks time. Then Kobe no longer has his explosiveness, meaning that he can't be the classic wing player, who could fill the lane, or take it to the rack from 20 feet out. Now he has to back his guy down, get into the lane by having others clear out, or exist at the perimeter. Given what Kobe/Bynum can do or not do, that leaves little if any room for Gasol to work where he's most effective. The Lakers have a problem which has no easy resolution, you've got Kobe who will be getting tens of millions of $$$ in the next two years, making him almost impossible to move, and Bynum, who they've made into the heir apparent who hasn't really developed to the point where the team needs him. Too easy to blame Gasol imo, the problems are far deeper.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball