Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Lakers have to actually be ok with this loss. They where not supposed to be close. They lost by 2 in okc to a team that has played 1 game in 10 days. They go home and defend their home floor. Moral victories.
I don't think any teams are scared to go into the Staples Center. I bet they split in Los Angeles and OKC closes is out at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Lakers have to actually be ok with this loss. They where not supposed to be close. They lost by 2 in okc to a team that has played 1 game in 10 days. They go home and defend their home floor. Moral victories.
I can't spin being down 0-2 as any kind of a victory. They are the underdog here and cannot let a road victory slip through their fingers.

If anything, that was a demoralizing loss that the KB fan club will utterly ignore was his fault. If he were Lebron there'd be a thread started alread about that ending performance.

20pts on 25 shots. I blame Bynum and Gasol.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I don't think any teams are scared to go into the Staples Center. I bet they split in Los Angeles and OKC closes is out at home.
If OKC wins game 3....Lakers may not show up for game 4....like last year vs. Dallas.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
I didn't watch the game but I think this game actually gives the lakers (a bad road team) hope heading home. I expect the lakers with game 3 and maybe both home games.
All those silent lakers fans will be in here telling us how great they are again.
I been watching the NBA long enough to know when you blow a game like that there is no coming back. The Lakers will be down 4-1 or may get swept.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm thinking big-picture.... you're talking specifically about this series against the Pacers. I don't see this team winning the title this year, with or without Bosh. I'm also( slowly) seeing a slight decline in Wade which leads me to believe the Heat's best chance to win was actually last year, and we know how that turned out. Teams like Chicago and OKC are on the rise, the Spurs are VERY dangerous, and there's always any number of scenarios involving a mega-blockbuster trade that alters the balance of power. Who saw Boston getting Garnett and Allen back in 2007, or LA getting Gasol in 2008? Even with Lebron, Wade and Bosh, the Heat still are a team with holes and some stylistic clashes between their two main stars; they're going to have to add more pieces in the next few years to overcome teams like Chicago, SA, and OKC.
I agree with you that they were not going to win the title with Bosh because the Spurs are just too strong and well coached and will not lose 4 times in a series no team that's left.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
FBJ

Here is another definition of stupid coaching

The Lakers are up 75-70 and kobe throws a bad pass and Durant picks it off and cuts the lead to 75-72. Right there Mike Brown as the coach is supposed to call a timeout to calm the crowd down and to reduce the momentum of the Thunder. But the idiot just stands there and watches his team lose a lead and does nothing and before you knew it the Thunder had taken the lead. If he had called a timeout the Lakers would have gotten a better shot and possibly ended the game. But Mike Brown lets the Thunder gain more and more momentum and the fool never stops the bleeding.

So I put 75% of this loss on Mike Brown and 25% on Kobe

Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM

742 posts, read 2,067,632 times
OKC was neck-and-neck against Mavericks in games 1 & 2 at home, but blew them out of the park in games 3 & 4 on the road. While Mavs had some significant changes to their roster (and starters), Lakers have basically the same starters from last year (with the exception of Sessions in place of Fisher). So Lakers are expected to play the same way and have the same issues, but minus the guidance of Phil Jackson. Mike Brown is no Phil Jackson. He can only hope his big 4 starters bring their A-game for the entire 48 minutes.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
OKC was neck-and-neck against Mavericks in games 1 & 2 at home, but blew them out of the park in games 3 & 4 on the road. While Mavs had some significant changes to their roster (and starters), Lakers have basically the same starters from last year (with the exception of Sessions in place of Fisher). So Lakers are expected to play the same way and have the same issues, but minus the guidance of Phil Jackson. Mike Brown is no Phil Jackson. He can only hope his big 4 starters bring their A-game for the entire 48 minutes.
When I heard the Lakers hired Mike Brown I knew it was a huge mistake. Not only does he look goofy and has a goofy way or coaching.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
But that is the whole problem with the Lakers. They can't push huge hard minutes on aging guys and their bench is godawful.

So, you either play your starters ragged and they gas out down the stretch or you bring in guys off the bench that wouldn't even see playing time on teams like OKC and the Spurs.

This is why I wonder if the lakers at this stage might be better off trading Gasol and releasing artest and picking up 3 solid starters and a good 6th man.
You can run most of your O through Kobe and Bynum while having better overall D and a much stronger bench. (of course it's easier said than done when you need that many pieces and they have no time to gel given Kobe's shelf life.)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
But that is the whole problem with the Lakers. They can't push huge hard minutes on aging guys and their bench is godawful.

So, you either play your starters ragged and they gas out down the stretch or you bring in guys off the bench that wouldn't even see playing time on teams like OKC and the Spurs.

This is why I wonder if the lakers at this stage might be better off trading Gasol and releasing artest and picking up 3 solid starters and a good 6th man.
You can run most of your O through Kobe and Bynum while having better overall D and a much stronger bench. (of course it's easier said than done when you need that many pieces and they have no time to gel given Kobe's shelf life.)
Lakers/Bulls trade makes sense. Lakers need QUALITY youth and depth - the bulls have a lot to offer in this area. Bulls need a post presence who can score - the lakers have 2 guys that can do this.

You understand the salary cap way better than I do, so I don't know if its totally doable in that regard, but it at least passes the smell test imo. Both teams can benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball