Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,939,240 times

Advertisements

Remember how Jeff Van Gundy was not afraid to bash the refs during games in the regular season and that they should be fined a million dollars for all the stupid calls they make. Now when you listen to him he has not criticized the refs at all and does everything he can NOT to criticize the calls of the refs. Example last night is when Durant should have fouled out on the charge on Battier and Breen said "that was a charge what do you think?

VanGundy responds after the missed free throw and says...."the ball don't lie"

So I;m wondering did Stern send me a letter or the head of ESPN pull him to the side to let him know that as a play by play analyst he is now allowed to bash the refs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

742 posts, read 2,065,569 times
Stern must have a soft spot for this guy. It doesn't change the fact that van Gundy is biased (for/against certain teams), often off-tangent and off-topic, and barely insightful. He gets to commentate the Finals even though he isn't one of the better people at the job.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

531 posts, read 2,896,874 times
I can't say I noticed either way but he did specifically say that the last play with Durant/Lebron was a foul on Lebron.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I can't say I noticed either way but he did specifically say that the last play with Durant/Lebron was a foul on Lebron.
Yeah but he didn't go on and on about it and bash the ref like he nornally does on the air. He just stated his opinion based on what he saw on the replay and that was the end of it

Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,060,826 times
Conspiracy theorists unite!!!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,710,361 times
It's so obvious that Van Gundy is for the Thunder more than the Heat.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,963,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
You have to be kidding me...

Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,020,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
seriously?? Did you not hear his diatribe about how he doesn't understand why everyone hates the Heat and how they should be commended for 'taking less' money to join forces and 'sacrifice' self for the team ...Mike Breen is okay and Van Balky is below average - not sure why ESPN puts these two as there lead team; especially when you have Mike Tirico & Hubie Brown available. Wish Doug Collins would retire again so he could be back in the booth.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM

742 posts, read 2,065,569 times
Default Heat-Thunder Finals, Game 3

At yesterday's game, an 11-year-old girl sang the national anthem. She's a better singer than Jeff van Gundy as commentator. As others have pointed out, van Gundy is pro-Heat. He's also anti-Mavericks. We know that because he has laid it out there bare.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
seriously?? Did you not hear his diatribe about how he doesn't understand why everyone hates the Heat and how they should be commended for 'taking less' money to join forces and 'sacrifice' self for the team ...Mike Breen is okay and Van Balky is below average - not sure why ESPN puts these two as there lead team; especially when you have Mike Tirico & Hubie Brown available. Wish Doug Collins would retire again so he could be back in the booth.
I remember when the lead team for ABC during the Finals was AL Michaels and Hubie Brown in 2004

What happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball