Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando Magic Trading Dwight Howard for Bynum good deal?
Yes For Orlando 0 0%
Yes For L.A. 17 70.83%
Yes For Both Teams 4 16.67%
No For Neither Team 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,085,269 times

Advertisements

If he agrees to an extension, DH is much better for many reasons. Number 1, he is a better scorer and the big #2, is that he isn't a cancer to team chemistry like Bynum. Bynum's immaturity flares up here and there.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
They are trying to secure the #4th and #8th pick in tomorrow's draft and also will likely throw in expiring contracts to trade for Howard. Darryl Morey(Rockets GM) has had virtually no sleep the past 2 days. I can't see the Magic turning down two lottery picks that high since the Nets and Mavs can't make better offers. Still a ways to go for the Rockets to get those two picks though.
SO.....what the heck does that leave them to build around Howard?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,463,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
SO.....what the heck does that leave them to build around Howard?
They were gonna offer the Magic those two lottery picks and expiring contract of Kevin Martin and possibly Morris or Parsons, but that obviously won't happen now since they were unable to trade their 12th, 16th, and 18th picks along with a package of Lowry and Morris for those two top 10 picks.Oh well...back to the drawing board for them.

They were planning to build around Dragic, Lee, Patterson, Montejunas(European player), and Parsons... but really package or trade some of these guys(clear cap space) to get Deron Williams since Howard wanted to play with Deron. If they couldn't get Deron, they were planning to trade some of them for Josh Smith who is Howard's childhood friend. Anything to get Howard to sign the extension. Yesterday they got expiring contracts of Leuer, Brockman, and Shaun Livingston in a trade from the Bucks for the 12th pick. Scola is hard to trade due to his contract, so will keep him or amnesty.

Bottom line was to get Howard and then try to clear cap space to get Deron since they want to play together. Josh Smith was the last alternative to bring on in order to convince Howard about signing that extension.

Last edited by JL; 06-28-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
They were gonna offer the Magic those two lottery picks and expiring contract of Kevin Martin and possibly Morris or Parsons, but that obviously won't happen now since they were unable to trade their 12th, 16th, and 18th picks along with a package of Lowry and Morris for those two top 10 picks.Oh well...back to the drawing board for them.

They were planning to build around Dragic, Lee, Patterson, Montejunas(European player), and Parsons... but really package or trade some of these guys(clear cap space) to get Deron Williams since Howard wanted to play with Deron. If they couldn't get Deron, they were planning to trade some of them for Josh Smith who is Howard's childhood friend. Anything to get Howard to sign the extension. Yesterday they got expiring contracts of Leuer, Brockman, and Shaun Livingston in a trade from the Bucks for the 12th pick. Scola is hard to trade due to his contract, so will keep him or amnesty.

Bottom line was to get Howard and then try to clear cap space to get Deron since they want to play together. Josh Smith was the last alternative to bring on in order to convince Howard about signing that extension.
Ok, thanks for the run-down.

If I'm Howard, I don't go *anywhere* on the hopes that they will be able to eventually get pieces in place.

A lot of teams out there have to be looking over their shoulder wondering if they are suddenly going to have a new powerhouse put together in their division overnight.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM

758 posts, read 1,230,137 times
Pretty stupid poll because there will be no trade between Lakers and Magic because Dwight has said he does not want to go there

I am still holding out hope that Dwight will stay or the Magic will be a terrible team next year and might not make the playoffs for a long time but then again, since the drama that Dwight caused for the last year and a half, I want him gone and the Magic will be better off without the drama that Dwight caused

Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Pretty stupid poll because there will be no trade between Lakers and Magic because Dwight has said he does not want to go there

I am still holding out hope that Dwight will stay or the Magic will be a terrible team next year and might not make the playoffs for a long time but then again, since the drama that Dwight caused for the last year and a half, I want him gone and the Magic will be better off without the drama that Dwight caused
While Dwight could have handled things better at times....he has done everything he can to improve his game and perform for Orlando.

Orlando's management has done an absolutely godawful job of putting any talent around him and he is understandably frustrated. It seems like a lot of Orlando fans are blaming Dwight for the troubles and I'm not sure if that's completely fair.

Really, as a Bulls fan I look at your team and your 2nd best player would be on our bench.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,297 times
Forget about this, how bout we (Knicks) give you Amare Stoudamire, and you give us Howard?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,230,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Forget about this, how bout we (Knicks) give you Amare Stoudamire, and you give us Howard?
Hell no, Amare sucks

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, thanks for the run-down.

If I'm Howard, I don't go *anywhere* on the hopes that they will be able to eventually get pieces in place.

A lot of teams out there have to be looking over their shoulder wondering if they are suddenly going to have a new powerhouse put together in their division overnight.
Personally, i think Howard should stay with the Magic, but if he is gonna leave, i definitely want him in a Rockets uniform. The Rockets have just a much better package of players than the Nets or Mavs(only teams he wants to play) for a trade. Sure, alot of other teams(Bulls, OKC, Lakers) have better players to offer the Magic than Rockets, but the Rockets are the only team willing to trade him for a 'rental'. Last year, the Warriors were only the other team besides Rockets to do a 'rental', but they backed off since then. Those other teams wouldn't trade for him unless he did a sign and trade which he will only do for the Mavs or Nets since he wants to play there.

Rockets have nothing to lose. They have been a mediocre team and even if Howard walks this summer after being a 'rental' with Rockets, they can do two things:

1). Rebuild with tons of cap space and become a lottery team(tanking) starting all over again by letting him walk off with nothing in return(clears cap space) OR do a sign/trade for Howard to Nets/Mavs and get something in return at end of 2012-13'. With the new cap restrictions coming in 2013, lots of other teams will amnesty very good, but too high salary players. I can see it now. Great pickups for teams under the cap to get bargains.

2). Trade him by the Feb 2013 deadline to get something from the Mavs or Nets.

Howard should know that the Rockets have dealings with various Chinese corporations in China that he could get his own separate endorsement deals for further $$ off the court. Yao Ming has his own management/business firm that can facilitate such deals too.

Also, no state tax in Texas which should help the bottom line. Another thing is that he can always call up Hakeem Olajuwon for some more private tutoring...

BTW, Ric Bucher on ESPN earlier said that the Lakers are listening to all offers for Bynum too ..

Last edited by JL; 06-29-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
JL

Great read on the Rockets' chances of getting Howard:

What Is A Realistic Trade The Lakers Can Make To Get Dwight Howard? - Forbes

Basically, I think Lakers fans are delusional if they think Dwight is going to the Lakers over Houston, for the reasons below. That said, the Lakers should wait as long as possible and hope a deal between Orlando and Houston (which makes more sense for Orlando) falls through. They then might have the leverage to deal Bynum straight up for Howard, and maybe take one bad contract back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball