Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,695,863 times

Advertisements

Who cares if the Lakers are getting old?

Is it a crime to get old?

Any fan deserves to hope for the best for their team.

Who cares if the Lakers don't win a championship?

I just want the Lakers to do well, like any fan.

I am hated on here just for being a Lakers fan.

The Spurs aren't going anywhere either.

I don't need a bunch of Spurs fans telling me why the Lakers aren't going anywhere.

Let's just all enjoy the 2012-2013 season.

I know it's hard considering the Lakers have eliminated the Spurs throughout the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,001,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Who cares if the Lakers are getting old?

Is it a crime to get old?

Any fan deserves to hope for the best for their team.

Who cares if the Lakers don't win a championship?

I just want the Lakers to do well, like any fan.

I am hated on here just for being a Lakers fan.

The Spurs aren't going anywhere either.

I don't need a bunch of Spurs fans telling me why the Lakers aren't going anywhere.

Let's just all enjoy the 2012-2013 season.

I know it's hard considering the Lakers have eliminated the Spurs throughout the years.

Uhhh, it's a discussion board.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,677,614 times

Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM

77,713 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think with Dwight, the Lakers got more then a little better at the center position, in Nash the Lakers got a little better at the PG position, with the additon of some of the bench players, they got a little better bench now. With all those "little betters" adding up, it just might be enough to overtake OKC and maybe Miami Heat too!! We'll have to wait and see.
The big question marks will be:

1) How do all the new pieces gel together. Note that it took Miami a while to work out their rythm.
2) Injuries.
3) Degrading skills due to another year of age? Look at Jamison for example. His game has fallen apart since he turned 34.
4) How much better will a young OKC team be this year with the additional experience of a visit to the finals?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,598,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The big question marks will be:

1) How do all the new pieces gel together. Note that it took Miami a while to work out their rythm.
2) Injuries.
3) Degrading skills due to another year of age? Look at Jamison for example. His game has fallen apart since he turned 34.
4) How much better will a young OKC team be this year with the additional experience of a visit to the finals?

No one will ever know till we seem them on the court, but unlike Miami and their big three, the Lakers have different players for each position. Many people thought that moth Lebron and Wade were essentially the same type of player. So that is why it ook longer to win there first championship.

As for age and injury, no one knows but that is a issue everyone has to deal with gran you it might be more of an issue with age.

OKC might be better next year, again we will only find out once the season starts. But on paper, the Lakers did improve, and we will see if they improved enough. My opinion is yes.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,108,495 times
Gasol certainly can't gel worse with Howard than he did with Bynum.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,139,421 times
I just don't understand why Laker haters like to give the Lakers a hard time because they have great resources and actually like to use them? What's the crime in that? So, the Lakers play in a large market, have built a successful franchise and brand, are rewarded with various revenue streams, including a lucrative TV deal, and they shouldn't be allowed to use them because they have to feel bad for smaller mediocre markets? Really?

It's not the Lakers faults that people aren't moving to Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Sacramento in droves, thus not allowing the teams in those markets to get lucrative deals. If the Lakers want to spend they should spend. Fans of those teams complain, but if things were reversed, and their teams had better resources, would they be complaining about getting the best of the best talent?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM

77,713 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I just don't understand why Laker haters like to give the Lakers a hard time because they have great resources and actually like to use them? What's the crime in that? So, the Lakers play in a large market, have built a successful franchise and brand, are rewarded with various revenue streams, including a lucrative TV deal, and they shouldn't be allowed to use them because they have to feel bad for smaller mediocre markets? Really?

It's not the Lakers faults that people aren't moving to Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Sacramento in droves, thus not allowing the teams in those markets to get lucrative deals. If the Lakers want to spend they should spend. Fans of those teams complain, but if things were reversed, and their teams had better resources, would they be complaining about getting the best of the best talent?
There are a small number of people that make that complaint around here but they generally don't understand that there has been a semi-hard salary cap (for years) and a new extremely nasty salary tax kicking in after this season.

The Lakers were able to attract Dwight because their management has had thier Sh*t together for years, unlike Orlando and so you can have some degree of faith that they won't screw things up like other franchises have repeatedly (Knicks etc.) I mean look at the Knicks, they have all the advantages that LA has but are badly run....it's not about the money.

The majority of us being labeled haters are the same guys that pointed out that last years thread about Sessions being the missing piece of a Lakers Championship was "crack talk". Some of the people crying about "haters" were guys that just last year were telling me Bynum was as good as Dwight and I was a Laker hater for arguing otherwise. Pointing out Nash is 39? Hater. Pointing out the Kobe was has aged? Hater. Pointing out Bynum and especially Gasol were not the big problem in the playoffs? Hater.

It just seems that we get a flood of very young casual fans flooding in everytime a move is made by the Lakers and when the more serious fans point out problems with thier thinking, they get butt hurt and scream hater.

I even have one passive aggressive coward that leaves me anonymous reps calling me names lol.

The bottom line is that the Lakers don't neccessarily have better resources, they are merely very well run.
God, just look at how bad the Dwight trade was for Orlando. What a bunch of morons lol....and they are still paying gilbert Arenas 25million this year...bwah hah hah hah hahhhhhh.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,014,437 times
ok so i dont generally care for skip bayless much but he and i are on the same page nearly exactly on both howard and nash.

How Good Does Dwight Howard Make The Lakers? - YouTube

and for the record, being called a hater when someone doesnt agree with your point of view? come on i hope you better then that, but most lakers fans are not better then that.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,241,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ok so i dont generally care for skip bayless much but he and i are on the same page nearly exactly on both howard and nash.

How Good Does Dwight Howard Make The Lakers? - YouTube

and for the record, being called a hater when someone doesnt agree with your point of view? come on i hope you better then that, but most lakers fans are not better then that.
^

I'm totally with Smith on this.

Bynum was inconsistent; he should have been even better than he was. Maybe with Philly he will be. And he can't run the floor.

I wanted him to be traded all year last year.

Yes Howard will be out for almost half of the season and I don't know if the Lakers are a championship team yet.

-----

....and this is wishful thinking and conjecture, but Kobe's retirement (if he retires in 2-3 years) coincides with the end of LeBron's contract....! Sure the media wanted Mike Brown and LeBron's relationship to be rocky, but , 1. I think it would ultimately be fine; I don't think their friends, but I don't think they're enemies either, 2. The Lakers could get a new coach 3. The Lakers need another superstar. The Lakers could pay him less than Kobe for arguably a better player.

I think this is what the Lakers are building to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball