Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 02:38 AM

1,108 posts, read 450,346 times

Advertisements

I dont know, his preseason games are decent. If he gets to be a solid starter at minnimum, he can get a max contact with a small market team since a 6'10 pg is rare. He has this year and next year garunteed, im not sure if he can resign later this year for his next contract with the nets, but it be funny if he played hard and gets a max contract, then becomes his old self and have mental problems.

Could be he is playing for a max contract, could be his back problems is fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 06:04 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
I’m sure his biggest fan will lavish his praise soon enough, but Ben’s issues have been mental more than anything. He’ll have to prove it during the season, and especially the postseason if he makes it, before he’ll be anything but a bust. I don’t see anyone giving a max contract either way…no one’s impressed by his size or “potential” anymore.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:29 PM

30,179 posts, read 11,815,563 times
He is going to have to have a breakthrough season. 20 points a game triple double average and the team overachieves with a top 4 finish in the east. And at least wins one round in the playoffs. They are not going to compete with Boston and Milwaukee but could be one of the better 2nd tier teams in the east. He and Bridges could make a good tandem. Both are excellent defenders. If the season breaks like that yes he would get a max contract. He is 27 just entering his peak. Bridges is 27.

But if he still exhibits tendencies of before. Missing stretches of games for no reason or being too passive on offense or a lack of effort. Not a chance.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I’m sure his biggest fan will lavish his praise soon enough, but Ben’s issues have been mental more than anything. He’ll have to prove it during the season, and especially the postseason if he makes it, before he’ll be anything but a bust. I don’t see anyone giving a max contract either way…no one’s impressed by his size or “potential” anymore.
If he averages 15, 8 reb, 7 ast, he can get a max contract, 1 small market team will throw a max contract at him. All he needs is to prove he is mentally ok.

If van vleet got a max... I mean, i would take ben over van vleet with that stat line. That size at pg man...

Old 10-14-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
He is going to have to have a breakthrough season. 20 points a game triple double average and the team overachieves with a top 4 finish in the east. And at least wins one round in the playoffs. They are not going to compete with Boston and Milwaukee but could be one of the better 2nd tier teams in the east. He and Bridges could make a good tandem. Both are excellent defenders. If the season breaks like that yes he would get a max contract. He is 27 just entering his peak. Bridges is 27.

But if he still exhibits tendencies of before. Missing stretches of games for no reason or being too passive on offense or a lack of effort. Not a chance.
If ben gets good, that will eat into bridges's numbers. But still, look at my other post. Van vleet got a max. I dont think he will get a low offer, even if he is the same, he will still he in the league for a while.

Look at Michael carter Williams, he is still in the league and he cant shoot, his height as a pg is keeping him in the league.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:08 AM

30,179 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
If ben gets good, that will eat into bridges's numbers. But still, look at my other post. Van vleet got a max. I dont think he will get a low offer, even if he is the same, he will still he in the league for a while.

Look at Michael carter Williams, he is still in the league and he cant shoot, his height as a pg is keeping him in the league.
His numbers are probably good enough for a max if he is at his career average. He had a year where he averaged 17PPG, 9 and 8. Its whether he is fully engaged on the court and his health both mental and physical. You are not going to pay max money for a guy averaging 6 points a game and misses half the season like last year.

Bridges could average 30 and Ben 20. If Ben is more of an offensive threat that opens things up for Bridges. Add to it his defense.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:34 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
If he averages 15, 8 reb, 7 ast, he can get a max contract, 1 small market team will throw a max contract at him. All he needs is to prove he is mentally ok.

If van vleet got a max... I mean, i would take ben over van vleet with that stat line. That size at pg man...
First off, Van vleet shouldnt have gotten a max deal. He's not that good. And yes, on paper, Simmons is a better player than Van Vleet. The difference though is that Van Vleet has put together a pretty solid run of consistency. Decent numbers year after year. He also has a ring with Toronto as well. Zero in the controversy department either. No one is expecting him to come in to Houston as the franchise guy who saves the day, even with the big contract.

Simmons on the other hand, WILL be expected to be the man, especially if he gets a max deal. We've seen how things go when he has that type of spotlight on him. If anything, I think the pressure will be far worse now than it was back then. In Philly, you could point to the fact that he was a very young guy just finding his way in the league. Today, he's a veteran in every sense of the word. No one is going to buy that excuse. He's going to be expected to swoop in and hit the ground running with production and wins for the team.

He could avoid a lot of the pressure if he took a smaller contract, but his ego, costs and probably his agent as well will insist that he go for those max deals. Any team that signs on for that will be in for a whole lot of drama, controversy and ultimately disappointment.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
First off, Van vleet shouldnt have gotten a max deal. He's not that good. And yes, on paper, Simmons is a better player than Van Vleet. The difference though is that Van Vleet has put together a pretty solid run of consistency. Decent numbers year after year. He also has a ring with Toronto as well. Zero in the controversy department either. No one is expecting him to come in to Houston as the franchise guy who saves the day, even with the big contract.

Simmons on the other hand, WILL be expected to be the man, especially if he gets a max deal. We've seen how things go when he has that type of spotlight on him. If anything, I think the pressure will be far worse now than it was back then. In Philly, you could point to the fact that he was a very young guy just finding his way in the league. Today, he's a veteran in every sense of the word. No one is going to buy that excuse. He's going to be expected to swoop in and hit the ground running with production and wins for the team.

He could avoid a lot of the pressure if he took a smaller contract, but his ego, costs and probably his agent as well will insist that he go for those max deals. Any team that signs on for that will be in for a whole lot of drama, controversy and ultimately disappointment.

Van vleet had kawhi and pascal siakam for that ring. Houston is overpaying him for the future, not the past. He has no shot of a all star team.

Players dont care if they are overpaid, they dont just feel bad for the team and just cancel their contract and sign a smaller deal. Many players agents are fighting for the best deal possible. Klay Thompson now is having big issues with what he wants and what golden state wants to pay him. Lillard is massively overpaid on his last 2 years of his contract.

Ben simmons might be playing for a contract since this might be the year where he can sign a big one. Many players have done so throughout the history of the nba, just have a positive attitude, work hard, eat right, take risks, and once that contract is signed, just return to your old self. All ben have to do is sign a max deal with 1 desperate small market team, thats it. He doesn't need to prove to the whole world he is the man and get max offers from all 30 teams, and he can choose one. You dont need to be a all star to get a max deal. He doesnt need to be the man on his new max deal, many teams overpay. Rashard lewis, gordon hayward, djounte Murray all got max deals and they were not the man on their teams.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:43 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
I've always felt bad for Simmons. He just got drafted by the wrong team. Make him the man, but surround him with 3 shooters and a rebounder, give him space to operate in the paint. That team wins 45-50 games a season. People forget now, but he's a great defender, and at one point might have been the best big man passer in the game (now that title is owned by Jokic). Expecting him to stand in the corner and wait for Embiid to pass him the ball was just not taking advantage of all that he's great at, instead it exposed all his weaknesses. I've said this before; if you put Giannis in Simmons position with Embiid and the Sixers, he also would struggle pretty much the same way. Getting exposed constantly destroyed Simmon's confidence and he regressed, developing a horrible attitude along the way that didnt generate much sympathy from anyone. I do wonder if too much damage has been done for him to ever recover that spark he had in his first couple of seasons.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I've always felt bad for Simmons. He just got drafted by the wrong team. Make him the man, but surround him with 3 shooters and a rebounder, give him space to operate in the paint. That team wins 45-50 games a season. People forget now, but he's a great defender, and at one point might have been the best big man passer in the game (now that title is owned by Jokic). Expecting him to stand in the corner and wait for Embiid to pass him the ball was just not taking advantage of all that he's great at, instead it exposed all his weaknesses. I've said this before; if you put Giannis in Simmons position with Embiid and the Sixers, he also would struggle pretty much the same way. Getting exposed constantly destroyed Simmon's confidence and he regressed, developing a horrible attitude along the way that didnt generate much sympathy from anyone. I do wonder if too much damage has been done for him to ever recover that spark he had in his first couple of seasons.
You dont have to feel bad for him, he cashed in a max contract already, and is working on another one, while all of us here are typing on this forum.

Simmons issue is he has great ball handling and passing skills, and his height. If he plays pf, the ball handling skills are wasted. He can play pf and not shoot the 3, but he will just be a average player at best.

Giannis on the other hand, can play inside all the time and do the euro step and dunk with ease. He doesnt need to shoot the 3, while ben need to shoot the 3 if he has the ball in his hands. If he cant develop a 3 i can see him just being a starter his whole career, as long as his head is in the game. His rebounding and size on defense, with constant switching, is a big plus to his game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball