Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,337,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Dwight just re-aggravated his shoulder injury. Great...

Lakers came out OK in the first half, but it's Kobe mode right now.

Ugh.
The only reason this is bad news is because it makes Howard less tradeworthy. Other than that, he can grab some bench and keep it warm for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The Lakers need a complete makeover. Get rid of Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, and Nash now - trade them and go forward. I know there's no way they trade Kobe and probably no way they trade Dwight - they need @zzes in seats. But at minimum, everyone else is expendable. They'd get a lot for Kobe and Dwight though if they could trade them to contenders for some draft picks.
Kobe is due to get 33million next year. Given the way the cap and the salary tax works etc.....as shocking as it may sound, I'm not sure many contenders can even fit him in without incurring massive financial penalties and having to of course give up matching cap space....and he is known for not playing well with others.

Nash, MWP and Gasol are all virtually untradeable.

Dwight is the only player with potential trade value IMO....but his injuries aren't helping that.

Oh well, they are staring at the NBA lotter for at least 2-3 years at this point so there are your draft picks as this looks to be a long rebuild.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The only reason this is bad news is because it makes Howard less tradeworthy. Other than that, he can grab some bench and keep it warm for all I care.
Yes, because the Lakers defense is bottom 5 or so in the league and they don't need him anchoring the middle defensively? Oh wait, you are angling for them to get more lottery balls with Dwight sitting....ok, I agree with that.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,110,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, because the Lakers defense is bottom 5 or so in the league and they don't need him anchoring the middle defensively? Oh wait, you are angling for them to get more lottery balls with Dwight sitting....ok, I agree with that.
what good will lottery balls do? they will not have a lottery pick because they traded it away TWICE!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
what good will lottery balls do? they will not have a lottery pick because they traded it away TWICE!
I believe some of those picks are protected if they get lucky enough to land top 3. I could be wrong, but that sits in the back of my mind. Lakers are generally smart enough to protect thier 1st rounders.

P.S. Did some looking.

Luke Walton trade cost them a 2012 1st round that was top 12 protected.
Howard trade cost them a 2017 pick (can't see if it's protected)
That's all I've found so far, I can't find a comprehensive list so I don't know what the status of their 2013, 2014 etc. picks is.

Last edited by Mathguy; 01-24-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,500,574 times
To answer the original OP, he needs to rest and get healthy. He also needs to get over his moodiness that we say in Orlando the last few years and this season in LA.

It sucks for the Lakers, but if I'm him I shut it down ASAP (assuming he is hurt), get as healthy as I can going into his FA year.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
To answer the original OP, he needs to rest and get healthy. He also needs to get over his moodiness that we say in Orlando the last few years and this season in LA.

It sucks for the Lakers, but if I'm him I shut it down ASAP (assuming he is hurt), get as healthy as I can going into his FA year.
^^^Agree 100%. The Lakers without his D absolutely fall apart (we've seen it) since somebody has to guard for Nash adn MWP too. Further collapse would establish what value he was providing to the team....although people that only value offense can't see it.

Leading rebounder in the NBA and all the homers are saying he and his 7-8 shots per game is the problem for the team giving up more ppg than 25 of the 29 other NBA teams. yeah......somebody needs to start noticing there is a basket at both ends of the court.

I really don't see how it matters much though. They aren't going to have him for a while anyway with this injury and by then their playoff chances will be truly dead and buried. He might as well rest up and frankly then it's a big unknown what will happen from there with him.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM

9,777 posts, read 7,499,922 times
As i stated earlier in this thread, the Lakers downward spiral started when they hired Mike Brown last offseason, and plummeted further and a lot faster after the Brown expieriment blew up and they went with a WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! coach then Brown in D'Antoni. Them hiring Brown is like them hiring Pat Riley in comparision to D'Antoni and Brown was awful which should tell you how bad D'Antoni is.

Lakers would be right up there with the Clippers/and Thunder if they had hired Brian Shaw like they shoul've last offseason.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

588 posts, read 797,217 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the Bulls have the best defensive center in the league not named Dwight Howard and a blistering defense. I mean, they held Kobe to 4/8 in the first half and 3/14 in the 2nd half for a combined 32% FG for the game so it wasn't just Dwight struggling.

Gasol has no trade value at 20mil a year. They've been trying to trade him for over a year.

You may be correct that they should just trade Dwight, and sink deep into the lottery this year and next to rebuild.
Actually, if they trade Dwight, they may get an athletic wing defender and a power forward who lines up well with Pau Gasol. This new team might actually rally up to the 7th or 8th seed, where they would just be good enough to miss having a lottery pick.

And yes, you're right that Chicago does look like an unusually good defensive team when Boozer is not in the lineup.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,110,656 times
Quote:
I believe some of those picks are protected if they get lucky enough to land top 3. I could be wrong, but that sits in the back of my mind. Lakers are generally smart enough to protect thier 1st rounders.

P.S. Did some looking.

Luke Walton trade cost them a 2012 1st round that was top 12 protected.
Howard trade cost them a 2017 pick (can't see if it's protected)
That's all I've found so far, I can't find a comprehensive list so I don't know what the status of their 2013, 2014 etc. picks is.
I believe if they are above top 3 it goes to Philly, anything else goes to the suns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball