Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,549 times

Advertisements

Not sure how much Kobe is going to like playing with another black hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,085,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
If kamans track record stands, Kobe will not get much time on the court with him anyway. If Kobe comes back around December like was originally thought then that should be right about the time Chris goes down with some injury.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
<shrug> Kobe knows this is a dead season anyway and they will be out of the playoffs by the time he comes back.

So, this is probably going to be the Kobe farewell tour and lovefest season where the Lakers suck and Kobe puts up lotsa shots and gets the 600 or so points he needs to pass Jordan on the all-time scorers list.

After that, who knows....watch him sign with a contender for peanuts to win more rings or watch him stick with a Lakers rebuild....or maybe even just retire with nothing left to prove. How his injury recovers will impact that decision greatly no doubt. I have zero idea what he might do.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
<shrug> Kobe knows this is a dead season anyway and they will be out of the playoffs by the time he comes back.

So, this is probably going to be the Kobe farewell tour and lovefest season where the Lakers suck and Kobe puts up lotsa shots and gets the 600 or so points he needs to pass Jordan on the all-time scorers list.

After that, who knows....watch him sign with a contender for peanuts to win more rings or watch him stick with a Lakers rebuild....or maybe even just retire with nothing left to prove. How his injury recovers will impact that decision greatly no doubt. I have zero idea what he might do.
im curious, i wonder why they dont count playoff points towards all time numbers? i guess its not apples to apples? i mean some guys dont play that many playoff games vs others i guess? but then the top guys on the scoring list all played MANY playoff games. if they did then kobe would have 37257 total points to jordans 38279, kareems 44149, malones 41689, wilts 35026.

it wouldnt really mater looking at the numbers, but it would put a little more space between them. look at malone to kareem, 1400+/- to 2500+/-.

as for kobe, i doubt he ever leaves LA but i could see him retiring soon.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM

looks like the lakers are going to waive artest viaw amnesty.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
looks like the lakers are going to waive artest viaw amnesty.
Thanks! We've all been wondering whom the Lakers would finally use their amnesty on.

I figured it might actually be Gasol given the luxury tax implications and that he's going to make another 10+million more than artest this year.

However, with Kobe + Gasol + Nash that's about 63mil this year so with a bunch of low-paid guys that's probably low enough to avoid most of the luxury tax.

Where was that website showing draft picks again? Looks like the Lakers are going full-lottery and hoping to keep a protected pick?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks! We've all been wondering whom the Lakers would finally use their amnesty on.

I figured it might actually be Gasol given the luxury tax implications and that he's going to make another 10+million more than artest this year.

However, with Kobe + Gasol + Nash that's about 63mil this year so with a bunch of low-paid guys that's probably low enough to avoid most of the luxury tax.

Where was that website showing draft picks again? Looks like the Lakers are going full-lottery and hoping to keep a protected pick?
Talk is that artest being amnestied saves about 30mil. Kobe isn't happy about it.
Had Howard signed then gasol would have been the amnesty but they want that inside guy. Kaman took the mini MLE so they can only sign vet minimum players now.

Looks like they have their 1st rounder but traded their 2nd rounder.
2014 NBA Draft Pick Pending Transactions

Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Talk is that artest being amnestied saves about 30mil. Kobe isn't happy about it.
Had Howard signed then gasol would have been the amnesty but they want that inside guy. Kaman took the mini MLE so they can only sign vet minimum players now.

Looks like they have their 1st rounder but traded their 2nd rounder.
2014 NBA Draft Pick Pending Transactions
The amnesty of artest might have saved 30mil in tax, I can totally believe that given how stiff the penalties are.

Lakers look like they are just burying this season and praying for the magic lottery ball to bring them good fortune. That Higgins kid that went to KS is supposed to be amazing and would have gone straight pro if not for the new rules.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The amnesty of artest might have saved 30mil in tax, I can totally believe that given how stiff the penalties are.

Lakers look like they are just burying this season and praying for the magic lottery ball to bring them good fortune. That Higgins kid that went to KS is supposed to be amazing and would have gone straight pro if not for the new rules.
The other thing about amnesty of artest and not pau, they want to potentially resign him on the cheap next season. They didn't care if Ron walked. I bet they would rather have dumped Nash and his stooopid deal if they could have. That would have given them a perfect clean slate on payroll next season.

And Higgins is supposed to be some Lebron/Durant hybrid freak or something.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
The Warriors signed Marreese Speights, Jermaine O'Neal and Toney Douglas all within 24 hours, add Brian Scalabrine as an assistant to Jackson. I think the bench is set
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball