Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM

207 posts, read 336,045 times

Advertisements

Wow am I the only one that has Oscar Robertson in my lineup....No love for the old school players? Also no Jerry West. I don't disagree with putting Magic at the 1 but we're talking about Mr. Triple Double himself, "The Big O"...the guy who averaged a triple-double for a whole season at point guard, yes that's not a typo AVERAGED a triple-double, and his all-time numbers are so filthy they should be illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
Wow am I the only one that has Oscar Robertson in my lineup....No love for the old school players? Also no Jerry West. I don't disagree with putting Magic at the 1 but we're talking about Mr. Triple Double himself, "The Big O"...the guy who averaged a triple-double for a whole season at point guard, yes that's not a typo AVERAGED a triple-double, and his all-time numbers are so filthy they should be illegal.
We know who he is, just have to ask is he better than any of those already picked?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM

207 posts, read 336,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
We know who he is, just have to ask is he better than any of those already picked?
Yes, that's why he's my starting pg.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Oscar Robertson doesn't get on a lot of lists because the competition he played with was so poor. I mean watch videos and these guys can't even dribble with their left hand.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Yes, that's why he's my starting pg.
HA, yeah you're the guy with dirk over Duncan, Russell, Malone, Barkley............. Ridiculous!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Oscar Robertson doesn't get on a lot of lists because the competition he played with was so poor. I mean watch videos and these guys can't even dribble with their left hand.
This. I don't think the pre-1970 NBA players compare to the guys from later decades at all athletically.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Magic
Michael
Larry
Karl
Hakeem

Most dominant at their position and could beat anyone else that played their position. Also very good team mates.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It is of note that Durant is a significantly worse defender than all on that list(besides Magic).
I'm not sure about that. Bird was a very good team defender with quick hands, hustle, and great instincts/anticipation. He was better in the post, but on the perimeter he wasn't so great against quicker guys, and today's small forwards are a lot quicker and more explosive than the ones in the 80s. Dominique lit him up on a pretty regular basis in the mid 80s (and vice versa).

Durant locks guys up on the perimeter in the 4th quarter with his athleticism, height and long arms. I've seen him completely shut down a lot of guys at the end of games. On the wing against an athletic 3 I would rather have Durant. In the post I would rather have Bird obviously.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Ok....just to be difficult....

SG - Jordan, no-brainer.
PF - Duncan
PG - Lebron
SF - Bird
Center - Olajuwon

Lebron and Bird have perimeter shooting as does prime Jordan. This opens up the middle for Olajuwon and Duncan to work along with penetration drives by Jordan and Lebron. (Duncan has a nice mid-range shot too)

The reason I moved Lebron to the PG slot is because he can play that position and is a better defender and shooter than Magic IMO.

I went with Bird because he's as good of shooter as anyone to ever play the game and has better supporting abilites than say a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller etc. I'd rather have Lebron run point and have Birds shooting.

I have 4 players that are among the best defenders to ever play their position and Bird in his prime was gritty as hell.

Olajuwon because he's proven he can match or exceed all of the great centers from his era. There are other good choices too, I passed on Wilt, Shaq, Kareem because I already have a ton of offense and don't want to clog the middle too much and wreck my spacing.

I can certainly understand picking guys like magic or Oscar etc., I just want the defense first along with a team that has offensive balance.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
HA, yeah you're the guy with dirk over Duncan, Russell, Malone, Barkley............. Ridiculous!

I see Duncan as a center more than PF, so I went with Dirk as well because I had Kareem at center who does everything Duncan does but better. Dirk adds height to a frontline, decent rebounding etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball