Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,975,735 times

Advertisements

This thread is basically to state which star players you think would have ended up doing just as well, or even better with another franchise. State the player and the franchise. Consider all things like skill set, personality, and management.

For example, I think Kevin Durant would have been great with the Spurs. He just really strikes me as a Spurs kind of guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,737,862 times
Durant would do great on any team. He will probably go down as the most unstoppable offensive player of all time, and he's unselfish and plays within the team's offense.

Lebron would be great on just about any team, especially teams with great shooters at PG and SG, since he needs the floor spacing to be really effective. I've always wondered how he would play with a strong front court too, but up to this point he has never played alongside anything more than an average front court.

Duncan would be great on any team. If they already have a great PF, he could play C. If they have a great C, he could play power forward. His biggest assets are rebounding and defense and you can never have too much of those. You can dribble too much, shoot too much, pass too much, etc. but unless you're a wing player not getting back on defense, you can't rebound too much.

Dirk would do really well on other teams, but especially ones with a big, strong, athletic center who rebounds and plays defense. I always wanted to see Dirk and Shaq on the same team later in Shaq's career, and then Dwight Howard and Dirk more recently. I think that would be a deadly combo, unfortunately neither ever happened.

Just about any great player would be great on any other team. It's mostly the ones people think are great, that really aren't, like Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson, that wouldn't be effective on certain teams.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,975,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Durant would do great on any team. He will probably go down as the most unstoppable offensive player of all time, and he's unselfish and plays within the team's offense.

Lebron would be great on just about any team, especially teams with great shooters at PG and SG, since he needs the floor spacing to be really effective. I've always wondered how he would play with a strong front court too, but up to this point he has never played alongside anything more than an average front court.

Duncan would be great on any team. If they already have a great PF, he could play C. If they have a great C, he could play power forward. His biggest assets are rebounding and defense and you can never have too much of those. You can dribble too much, shoot too much, pass too much, etc. but unless you're a wing player not getting back on defense, you can't rebound too much.

Dirk would do really well on other teams, but especially ones with a big, strong, athletic center who rebounds and plays defense. I always wanted to see Dirk and Shaq on the same team later in Shaq's career, and then Dwight Howard and Dirk more recently. I think that would be a deadly combo, unfortunately neither ever happened.

Just about any great player would be great on any other team. It's mostly the ones people think are great, that really aren't, like Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson, that wouldn't be effective on certain teams.
I'm not talking about being great so much as that greatness translating into success (rings).

For example, LeBron may still be ringless if he stays in Cleveland.

And Durant, while obviously a great player, still has a lot of uncertainty around him. I'm not quite sure if he'll get a ring or just play Karl Malone to LeBron's Jordan. I hope he does, because he's a Longhorn and also because I'm tired of LeBron's toughest opponents being team that are old (Spurs, Mavs).

Right now it doesn't look like the new generation has anybody that can stand up to LeBron. It makes no sense that the young and talented Thunder lost in five while the old Spurs took them to seven (and probably should have won).

But I digress. I definitely think LeBron wins a ring if he went to the Bulls. Probably more than he will with Miami.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,737,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not talking about being great so much as that greatness translating into success (rings).

For example, LeBron may still be ringless if he stays in Cleveland.
That would be more a function of a lack of talent in Cleveland than any kind of chemistry/fitting in thing though.

Quote:
And Durant, while obviously a great player, still has a lot of uncertainty around him. I'm not quite sure if he'll get a ring or just play Karl Malone to LeBron's Jordan. I hope he does, because he's a Longhorn and also because I'm tired of LeBron's toughest opponents being team that are old (Spurs, Mavs).
I have no uncertainties at all about Durant. The only uncertainty I have is if OKC can afford to, or is willing to pay the money, to put enough talent around him. The way things have gone the last 2 seasons I'm not so sure. Trading Harden for Martin, then losing Martin as a FA really hurt them.

And then recently they low-balled their rookie, only giving him 80% of his rookie scale salary, and then complained to the league to save a few million on Durant's contract since it was agreed upon before the new CBA, and then finalized after.

So I don't know if they're going to spend the money to field a championship team, but that doesn't have anything to do with Durant.

It's starting to look like that's turning into another Lebron/Cleveland-type situation, except that spending money wasn't the issue in Cleveland, front office incompetence was. If they continue on their recent path Durant might not be willing to stay there in a few years.

Quote:
But I digress. I definitely think LeBron wins a ring if he went to the Bulls. Probably more than he will with Miami.
I agree completely here. The Bulls are/were loaded. He would have had a much better team in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball