Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Compared to the Pacers, the Bulls have more playoff experience, in coaching and in players. Better at 3s last year, free throws, and have possibly the best defensive 5 man lineup in Noah, Taj, Deng, Butler, Rose/Hinrich. I'm not sure who on the Pacers can keep up with Rose (given he really is 100%) when he's driving to the land and he's got scoring threats Boozer and Noah on the inside, cleanup man Taj, shooters Deng, Hinrich, Dunleavy, Butler (shot 38% threes last year, 40% in the playoffs), and possibly Snell.

Sam Smith seems to think this is the best bench mob the Bulls have. If he's right, and our starters are healthy...
^^^This.

And they made it to the 2nd round and took a game off the Heat without Rose, Deng, Heinrich or Rip Hamilton.

Deng was the Bulls leading scorer that season @16.5ppg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM

929 posts, read 1,660,780 times
They're without Nate Robinson and Marco Belinelli now, though.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,586,575 times
Eastern Conference:

1- Indiana
2- Chicago
3- Miami
4- Brooklyn
5- New York
6- Atlanta
7- Washington
8- Philadelphia

I think the need to preserve Wade will lead to him missing more games this season. I also think Spoelstra will realize its time to start truly limiting LeBron's minutes as well. These things along with a thin roster that has made three straight trips to the Finals leads me to believe Miami won't have the best record in the East.

After Indiana, Chicago, and Miami none of the other teams in the East matter. As someone else noted there is a HUGE drop off after the top three.

Western Conference:

1- OKC
2- L.A. Clippers
3- San Antonio
4- Houston
5- Golden State
6- Memphis
7- Denver
8- Minnesota

I still think KD and Russ are the best one two punch in the West. I actually think Westbrook's absence last season will help his on court relationship with Durant. I still don't think they have enough to beat Miami or Indiana. They haven't replaced Harden. And I'm still not sold on Brooks. I think he is overrated. I think the Spurs will be good as usual, but last season was their best shot with this core group.

I think Houston will be good on the strength of Howard and Harden. They still are a key player short of being a true title contender. GSW is my wild card. They can either be a top four team, or miss the playoffs. It all depends on the health of Lee, Bogut, and Curry. Memphis, Denver, and Minny will make it entertaining, but won't matter.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,429,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Sad to say it, but we don't really need them now.

Nate Robinson got playing time because Rose was out.
Rose is a better playmaker than Nate, better defender, and decision maker.

Their PG rotation was Nate and Hinrich (Kirk not a full season or a full playoffs), and some from Teague. Belinelli spent time as a ball handler, and some plays went through Noah as evident by Noah's career high 4 assists per game.

Now they have a PG depth of Rose, Hinrich and Teague. Whats a better 1-2 punch at PG than Rose and Hinrich?

In terms of Belinelli.
Dunleavy replaces Belinelli and can shoot the three just as good as Belinelli. Hinrich can shoot the three. Butler can shoot the three. Deng can shoot the three. And now you have a star in Rose that can command attention at the paint who averages 7 assists a game.

I'll miss Nate because he got hot very fast and has a great three point %. No matter what anyone says about him jacking up shots, he shot .405 last year. And I'll miss Belinelli. But we're just as good as last year in support and with Rose and everyone healthy... can make a great run.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well yeah, if the Bulls are missing 2.5 starters (give or take) like last year they won't be going anywhere in the playoffs.

I think you are forgetting all the injuries and illness that have meant that the Bulls playoff team the last 2 years has been a shadow of their regular season team.
Yeah.............that is kind of my point. The Bulls have had the look of a team that will go all out for the division or home court. Which, you could argue has hurt them in the playoffs.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Oh noes! Not our 3rd stringers!

When it was Asik, I cared. Those two...not so much.

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-01-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yeah.............that is kind of my point. The Bulls have had the look of a team that will go all out for the division or home court. Which, you could argue has hurt them in the playoffs.
Yeah, I can totally imagine how that brought on a misdiagnosis of spinal meningitis on Deng.

If you want to analyze D. Rose's minutes played and claim he hurt his knee because of the regular season instead of a fluke injury then be my guest.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
I can see Indiana taking Miami this year. Hibbert down low is a big matchup issue for them and he continues to improve, Paul George will be a year better, Granger's return to health....the pieces are there. Wade's health is the x-factor for Miami, Lebron will be Lebron, Bosh is a stretch 4 and doesn't provide them the size they really need against the bruisers on the Pacers and Bulls frontlines. A 4 year finals run hasn't been done since the 60's Celtics, in a league which featured less teams and less season games. I think Miami is vulnerable this year.....

Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,065,029 times
I'm a Heat fan but I could see Pacers taking us. I thought it might happen last year. The ex-factor isn't Wade though, Wade will be Wade and for all the **** he takes he was still a top player on both ends, and a damn good captain when you think of all the other veteran players that have failed to work with superstars (Dwight Howard / Kobe for example).

The real ex-factor will be Jones and Oden. We need Jones to be able to step up in the absence of Miller either when Battier has a few off-games or just gets into early foul trouble. If Oden works out it frees up Bosh to play at the top of the key. I know Oden is a long-shot but we don't need him until playoffs so there's plenty of time for the Heat staff to work with him. If these two work out I think we'll beat the Pacers again.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm a Heat fan but I could see Pacers taking us. I thought it might happen last year. The ex-factor isn't Wade though, Wade will be Wade and for all the **** he takes he was still a top player on both ends, and a damn good captain when you think of all the other veteran players that have failed to work with superstars (Dwight Howard / Kobe for example).

The real ex-factor will be Jones and Oden. We need Jones to be able to step up in the absence of Miller either when Battier has a few off-games or just gets into early foul trouble. If Oden works out it frees up Bosh to play at the top of the key. I know Oden is a long-shot but we don't need him until playoffs so there's plenty of time for the Heat staff to work with him. If these two work out I think we'll beat the Pacers again.
Would have to disagree with you on that. You know what to get from Lebron, and Bosh to a lesser degree. Wade is the one who, depending on his health, depending on whether he's aggressive or in defer-to-Lebron mode, could be the difference. It's that 'it depends on IF Wade.....' that is the ex-factor element. Now having said that, word out of Miami is that Wade has lost some weight( which will aid his ailing knees and help him regain a bit of spring in those aging legs). IF he is relatively healthy, I would pick Miami but it will be a dogfight with Indiana and the Bulls( another IF depending on Rose's return to form).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball