Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,065,029 times

Advertisements

Well I generally agree that Clippers are flavor of the month these last few seasons... but as far as I can see the biggest trade of the Off Season wasn't the Nets, Oden, or even Howard. It was Doc Rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i see power rankings more of a whos playing the best RIGHT NOW, whos the strongest teams are in order of strongest to weakest but its all based on RIGHT NOW. considering nobody has played more than a couple preseason games so far, how do you pick which teams are PLAYING THE BEST RIGHT NOW. you HAVE to start your rankings off based on how the previous season ended IMO.
The problem is how you define "right now", because if Lebron sprains his ankle and is going to miss 5 games they don't move Miami off the #1 spot.

Just musing because it doesn't matter....ESPN is little better than Jim Rome....stir the pot, generate ratings blah blah blah. They can rank the spurs #30 if it makes them happy, it changes nothing in reality.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well I generally agree that Clippers are flavor of the month these last few seasons... but as far as I can see the biggest trade of the Off Season wasn't the Nets, Oden, or even Howard. It was Doc Rivers.
Doc Rivers as you correctly note, could be a big improvement, it's always hard to tell until the personalities start rubbing.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,065,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The problem is how you define "right now", because if Lebron sprains his ankle and is going to miss 5 games they don't move Miami off the #1 spot.

Just musing because it doesn't matter....ESPN is little better than Jim Rome....stir the pot, generate ratings blah blah blah. They can rank the spurs #30 if it makes them happy, it changes nothing in reality.
The way Lebron played in the preseason opener against the Hawks, Heat should drop to the #3 spot anyways. Terrible.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,105,799 times
Quote:

oh i agree but that is supposed to be the point of the power rankings. ranking whos the most powerful team at the moment.
if lebron misses 5 games and the heat lose 4 of them, then they will fall in the rankings, thats the point. it happened to the spurs last year when tony went down.
i liked hollingers rankings because its not as subjective and regular ones. it quantifies strength of schedule, and wins and losses, point differential and so on.

UGH i HATE jim rome, but i loved when he got confronted by jim everett.

Sports' Most Shocking Moments #1: Jim Vs. Jim/Chris!! - YouTube

Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The way Lebron played in the preseason opener against the Hawks, Heat should drop to the #3 spot anyways. Terrible.
Miami is getting older and will follow the formula that the Bulls, Spurs, Lakers etc. all followed....coast during the regular season, peak at the end and make a title run from the #3 seed (or whatever).

The extra 6+ weeks a year the Heat have been playing for 3 years now wears on you and Wade in particular is no kid anymore...and without Wade, Miami doesn't repeat. (just as an example)

We'll see how smart Jason Kidd is in terms of blending his new pieces while resting them which is another reason the nets might not have as many wins as they could if they were just pushing for best record.

I still think it will be Nets-Knicks in the 1st round as the 4-5 seeds.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
I love Doc. I think he is one of the best coaches in the league but this roster is still flawed. Unless Griffin or Jordan develops a low post game, they are not going to going anywhere. They need more balance in their roster. They have a lot of shooters but not much else. I also think....wait for it....Chris Paul is overrated. He is still a great player but he cannot stop the big athletic guard types like Westbrook. Those matchups get exploited in the playoffs which is why he struggles getting out of the first round.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,430,289 times
Quote:

I still think it will be Nets-Knicks in the 1st round as the 4-5 seeds.
That'd be a fun one to watch, and great if you're a New Yorker.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
That'd be a fun one to watch, and great if you're a New Yorker.
cuts back on travel for those teams lol. almost as much as lakers/clippers makes you wonder who would have home court advantage in an all LA series

Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,430,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
cuts back on travel for those teams lol. almost as much as lakers/clippers makes you wonder who would have home court advantage in an all LA series
That'd depend on who bought the tickets the fastest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball