Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,066,025 times

Advertisements

With the preseason starting in a few days (damn that off-season went by fast) which teams are you all placing as the playoff contenders?

East Coast:
1. Indiana Pacers
2. Miami Heat
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Cleveland Cavaliers
6. NY Knicks
7. Boston Celtics
8. Detroit Pistons

West Coast:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Houston Rockets
3. Memphis Grizzlies
4. LA Clippers
5. Goldenstate Warriors
6. OKC Thunder
7. Minnesota Timberwolves
8. Denver Nuggets

The first question is Boston Celtics - this entirely depends on when Rondo returns. If he's back early enough I think they can beat out Detroit and Washington.

The next big question for me is Asik, not so much in Houston but where he winds up instead. I could see the Knicks, Mavericks, and Cavaliers being the top contenders to get him. I don't think he'd make a big enough impact on Mavs this season but it could bump either Knicks or Cavs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,000,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
With the preseason starting in a few days (damn that off-season went by fast) which teams are you all placing as the playoff contenders?

East Coast:
1. Indiana Pacers
2. Miami Heat
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Cleveland Cavaliers
6. NY Knicks
7. Boston Celtics
8. Detroit Pistons

West Coast:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Houston Rockets
3. Memphis Grizzlies
4. LA Clippers
5. Goldenstate Warriors
6. OKC Thunder
7. Minnesota Timberwolves
8. Denver Nuggets

The first question is Boston Celtics - this entirely depends on when Rondo returns. If he's back early enough I think they can beat out Detroit and Washington.

The next big question for me is Asik, not so much in Houston but where he winds up instead. I could see the Knicks, Mavericks, and Cavaliers being the top contenders to get him. I don't think he'd make a big enough impact on Mavs this season but it could bump either Knicks or Cavs.
Wow.

Cleveland at 5? Bynum is already being ruled out for the preseason, what makes you think they are going to make that much of a jump? They are not better than the Knicks.

Boston will not make the playoffs. Not even a chance. Their starting lineup consists of Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass. They have no real post presence and unless Rondo develops a consistent jumper, teams can play off him all the time.

Detroit is iffy to me. They have some nice pieces but I am not sure how it's going to all work. Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith are both inefficient on offense. How are they going to gel? And who is going to be the starting SG? They have some question marks. I think they have a chance to make the playoffs, but they have some major flaws.

Memphis will probably be in the thick of things but I don't know if they will be a top 4 team again. They just lack outside scoring. Although they addressed it some, they don't have a enough. They just don't score enough to be an elite team.

Oklahoma City is still one of the best teams in the league. As long as you got Durant and a healthy Westbrook, there are few teams better.

Denver has an injured Danilo Gallinari, lost Andre Igulodala and a new coach. They have a very small chance of making it. The Mavericks, the Blazers and the Pelicans have better teams and will likely finish ahead of them.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM

Here's my top 8

East:
1. Miami Heat
2. Indiana Pacers
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. New York Knicks
6. Atlanta Hawks
7. Washington Wizards
8. Cleveland Cavaliers

West:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Golden State Warriors
4. Houston Rockets
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. Los Angeles Clippers
7. Dallas Mavericks
8. New Orleans Pelicans

Old 09-24-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Wow.

Cleveland at 5? Bynum is already being ruled out for the preseason, what makes you think they are going to make that much of a jump? They are not better than the Knicks.
Easy - I hate Carmelo and think he's incredibly overrated. They made no moves for improvement in terms of players, Smith is a huge liability, roster is aging, and Carmelo hasn't matured as a player/leader. You don't win championships when the guy with the ball has averages less than 3 assists. Shumpert has improved and will add a little life but not enough - they're going to decline this year.

Quote:
Boston will not make the playoffs. Not even a chance. Their starting lineup consists of Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass. They have no real post presence and unless Rondo develops a consistent jumper, teams can play off him all the time.
I think you're undervaluing them. If Rondo's healthy and the new coach isn't complete crap they still have Rondo, Avery Bradley, and Jeff Green. That alone is better than a lot of teams... again if Rondo returns and is true to form. In my mind he's the #2 PG in the league after CP3. Some would say Rose or Westbrook but I need a guy that can pass and control the floor.

Quote:
Memphis will probably be in the thick of things but I don't know if they will be a top 4 team again. They just lack outside scoring. Although they addressed it some, they don't have a enough. They just don't score enough to be an elite team.
Like their coach I think Miller is still highly underrated. He was a Rookie of the Year and can step up with a ton of offense and a high basketball IQ. He won't get a lot of minutes due to his back issues but he can provide a huge bump where Memphis needs it.

Quote:
Oklahoma City is still one of the best teams in the league. As long as you got Durant and a healthy Westbrook, there are few teams better.
They missed their window back when they had Harden. Harden has that fire and passion to take the team on his shoulder and lead it. The remaining OKC needs leadership and maturity in a bad way. Look at their technicals they've got 3 players that were in the top 10 technicals last season Westbrook at #2, Perkins and Durant tied at #8. Until they grow up and mature they've got the same problem as the Knicks - a great shooter that will get them to the playoffs but not much further.

Quote:
Denver has an injured Danilo Gallinari, lost Andre Igulodala and a new coach. They have a very small chance of making it. The Mavericks, the Blazers and the Pelicans have better teams and will likely finish ahead of them.
I don't have a good answer for this one, I just want them to pull out that final spot I like watching Farried. You're probably right that if Dirk stays healthy the Mavs should be able to get this over the Nuggets.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Easy - I hate Carmelo and think he's incredibly overrated. They made no moves for improvement in terms of players, Smith is a huge liability, roster is aging, and Carmelo hasn't matured as a player/leader. You don't win championships when the guy with the ball has averages less than 3 assists. Shumpert has improved and will add a little life but not enough - they're going to decline this year.
Smith actually had a career year last year, but he was garbage in the playoffs. They added Metta World Peace, Andrea Bargnani, and Beno Udrih. When you added a healthier Amare Stoudamire, they really aren't in bad shape compared to last year. At best they will be about the same as last year, but they won't have that much of a drop off.

Say what you want about Melo. He may not be much of a winner, but he has been successful in the regular season. He has made the playoffs every year of his career. I don't think he will win any championship with his style of play, but he's clearly can lead a team to the playoffs.

Quote:
I think you're undervaluing them. If Rondo's healthy and the new coach isn't complete crap they still have Rondo, Avery Bradley, and Jeff Green. That alone is better than a lot of teams... again if Rondo returns and is true to form. In my mind he's the #2 PG in the league after CP3. Some would say Rose or Westbrook but I need a guy that can pass and control the floor.
They just announced Rondo might not be back until December. Avery Bradley is a legit second option, but Jeff Green has shown that he struggles as a consistent scorer. He has a nice game, but he's a slightly above average player in the league. They really have no one that has the potential to be a primary scorer. If you take any of those three and put them on most playoff teams, they would at best be a third scoring option. They will certainly struggle.

Quote:
Like their coach I think Miller is still highly underrated. He was a Rookie of the Year and can step up with a ton of offense and a high basketball IQ. He won't get a lot of minutes due to his back issues but he can provide a huge bump where Memphis needs it.
Miller is a great player, but he has a chronic back issue. In the past few years he played 59, 39 (out of 66), and 41. He is not very durable at this point. Can't depend on him doing much, which is one of the reasons why the Heat got rid of him.

Quote:
They missed their window back when they had Harden. Harden has that fire and passion to take the team on his shoulder and lead it. The remaining OKC needs leadership and maturity in a bad way. Look at their technicals they've got 3 players that were in the top 10 technicals last season Westbrook at #2, Perkins and Durant tied at #8. Until they grow up and mature they've got the same problem as the Knicks - a great shooter that will get them to the playoffs but not much further.
They finished 2nd in the West last year and were due for a deep playoff run before Westbrook got hurt. If you are second in the West at the end of the year, you are a contender. Make no mistake about it, they are still a major threat.

Not sure why technicals matter. That has very little impact on the actual game. Clearly if it did, they would lose more games.

Quote:
I don't have a good answer for this one, I just want them to pull out that final spot I like watching Farried. You're probably right that if Dirk stays healthy the Mavs should be able to get this over the Nuggets.
Faried is great but losing Iguodala is going to hurt especially with Gallinari recovering from his injury. Suddenly they aren't as deep as they used to be. There are teams that have gotten better while they have taken a step back.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Smith actually had a career year last year, but he was garbage in the playoffs. They added Metta World Peace, Andrea Bargnani, and Beno Udrih. When you added a healthier Amare Stoudamire, they really aren't in bad shape compared to last year. At best they will be about the same as last year, but they won't have that much of a drop off.
Honestly I completely forgot that they picked up Artest/MWP whatever name he's using this week. That will definitely be a bump - will be quite the interesting team actually if MWP and JR play at the same time - they can duke it out for who's the bigger bad-ass.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,109,311 times
will NYK be the all dysfunctional team this season? not a ton of "team players" on that roster.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM

78,546 posts, read 60,749,385 times
After Bulls, Indy, Heat you have a big drop off to teams like NYK and Nets.
The last 3 slots who cares as they will be around .500 teams.

West:
Spurs,OKC, Houston, Memphis, Clippers and then 3 misc. other teams like Denver.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,497,653 times
East:
1) Chicago Bulls
2) Miami Heat
3) Indiana Pacers
A significant drop off
4) New York Knicks
5) New Jersey Nets
6) Atlanta Hawks
7) Milwaukee Bucks
8) Orlando Magic

Really 7-8 who really cares?? I doubt between those 2 I listed and the Wizards, Raptors, Celtics, Sixers, Bobcats, etc will finish better than 39-43, and will just be 4-0 fodder for the Bulls & Heat anyways.

West:
1) Oklahoma City Thunder
2) San Antonio Spurs
3) Los Angeles Clippers
4) Memphis Grizzlies
5) Golden state Warriors
6) Houston Rockets
7) Portland Trail Blazers
8) Dallas Mavericks

IF (and that's a big word), they can get Westbrook back healthy, that is the best team in the west, and few teams in the league can match them. Even with the addition of Howard to the Rockets, and Igoudala to the Warriors I'm not to sold on either team finishing in the top 4, I think the Warriors still have a lot of defensive issues that'll rear its head this year that'll handicap them.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM

7express, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they only pass the Spurs after Tony Parker got injured and the Spurs also started benching guys for the playoffs? Pretty sure the Spurs were the #1 seed for the vast majority of last season and the development of their role players was amazing in the playoffs. Kawhi Leonard could very well be the next fundamentalist, and we all saw Danny Green suddenly light up the boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball