Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 PM

45,642 posts, read 27,250,610 times

Advertisements

Asik not available tonight versus Nuggets. Apparently he was benched for bad play, not trade speculations.

Greg Smith out 7-10 days.

Yao Ming will be in attendance and is available.

Update : Asik apparently "under the weather". The secret third tower, otherwise known as Montejunas, should get time tonight. He actually looks taller than the other towers.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-16-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:38 AM

78,543 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Asik not available tonight versus Nuggets. Apparently he was benched for bad play, not trade speculations.

Greg Smith out 7-10 days.

Yao Ming will be in attendance and is available.

Update : Asik apparently "under the weather". The secret third tower, otherwise known as Montejunas, should get time tonight. He actually looks taller than the other towers.
Asik is being shopped pure and simple. Give it a few days, a week tops.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 AM

From Nov.13

Quote:
I'm watching the Rockets/Sixers game, now in OT.

Everything is either a three pointer or a layup (whether or not its contested).

Where are the intermediate jump shots? Nobody takes those anymore.

Howard looks like he is back bulldozing his way to the basket.

Entertaining game though... Asik has not played much. This is the first time the looked like last year's Rockets.
This tweet from NBA Stats

'@HoustonRockets (5th in OffRtg, 106.0) avoiding the less-efficient midrange zone. Avg. just 9.0 Midrange attempts. League avg. is 22.9

Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,676,800 times
I see zero rings in Houston's basketball future...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Back to work for Asik.

Asik: "I was just frustrated. It's behind me now. I'm just focused now on trying to help my team win."

I have been impressed with the support the team has been giving Asik - as far as complimenting him and wanting him to stay and realizing how important he is.

Should be back in the lineup tonight.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 PM

I have stated that Howard was regressing in his offensive skills - now I know why - the teacher isn't here.

Olajuwon has been gone since the beginning of October to Jordan, and won't be back until February.

“The truth is that I can’t wait to get back to Houston to do more work with Dwight,” said Olajuwon, who left Houston in early October to return to his home in Amman, Jordan and has been keeping track of his pupil on TV. “I wish he was doing a better job.

“Dwight has always been athletic and aggressive and he still is. But when I watch him, what I see are opportunities that he is missing. When he gets the ball, he seems to be taking his time to decide what move to make, where he should go.

Now I have noted this. If you ever watch a highlight reel of Hakeem, he gets the ball and immediately attacks before the defense can think. That just added to his quickness. Howard gets the ball and turns slowly and then plods his way to the basket.

“There should not be a delay for Dwight. He must be able to make a faster recognition of the situations and react immediately with a go-to move. You must move right away before the defense has a chance to set up. You must be the one making the first move so that you can force the defender to always be the one reacting.

“I thought we were doing a good job with this when we were working together over the summer and at the start of training camp. But what I see now is that when Dwight gets in competition, he has a tendency to go back to all of his old habits. He’s just doing all of the things that he did before. He needs a reminder.”

Olajuwon plans to return to Houston prior to the NBA All-Star break in February and will remain in Houston through the end of the season and the playoffs.

Olajuwon The Teacher On Dwight Howard

Great - so we have the same old Dwight to look forward to for the next few months. I was honestly looking forward to some new moves and seeing what he learned. I saw it some in the preseason, but hardly any more.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Well, tonight is why the twin towers are important. Asik had his best game this year - only 2 pts., but monster defense and rebounding. Howard sat the 4thQ and Asik played. Zach Randolph couldn't deal with Asik's defense.

A positive thing about Asik playing is because he has no post game, the ball doesn't stagnate in the post. When Howard in, they make it a point to feed the ball inside. Tonight looked like last year's Rockets in the 4thQ. 32 pts. in the first half... 38 pts. in the 4thQ. The change of pace definitely played to their advantage.

No Harden, Howard, or Lin in 4thQ.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-25-2013 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,108,198 times
Rockets played with no harden, but the barely over 500 griz played without the DPOY also. And the Howard/asik numbers were out rebounded by Randolph and koufos! The later being barely above dleague level.

Congrats on the win without harden but asik will be gone between dec 15 and feb 20th 100% guaranteed!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Rockets played with no harden, but the barely over 500 griz played without the DPOY also. And the Howard/asik numbers were out rebounded by Randolph and koufos! The later being barely above dleague level.

Congrats on the win without harden but asik will be gone between dec 15 and feb 20th 100% guaranteed!
Rebounding advantage was mainly early in the game. Koufus had half his rebounds halfway through the 1stQ - mainly on Howard/Jones.

Still don't want to see Asik gone, but it is what it is.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,552,450 times
Quote:
Rebounding advantage was mainly early in the game. Koufus had half his rebounds halfway through the 1stQ - mainly on Howard/Jones.

Still don't want to see Asik gone, but it is what it is.
Asik was the reason why they won last night. His defensive presence in the paint for the end of 3rd qt along with entire 4th qt prevented the Grizz from getting hardly any baskets down low. The dude was just a defensive beast.. Zbo couldn't get on track with Asik in there. I can see the Rockets not trading Asik at all unless it was a deal they couldn't pass up. The backups played really well last nite which is why McHale kept them in the game. Asik deserved the game ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball