Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times

Advertisements

Who's better?

Both 6'10", similar build, similar game, very similar stats.

Turkeyglue

11.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.1 apg, 45.1 2PT FG%, 38.1 3PT FG%

Kukoc

11.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.7 apg, 48.8 2PT FG%, 33.5 3PT FG%

Turkeyglue came into the league at 21, Kukoc at 25.

Kukoc was 3rd banana on very good Bulls teams while Turkeyglue was at times the 1st banana (as far as running the offense goes) on some pretty good Magic teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I liked Hedo when he was on the early 2000s, stacked Kings teams. Hedo, Peja, Divac, Bobby Jackson, and more. Great role players. I stopped following him after that.

I'm biased towards Kukoc because I'm from Chicago and grew up watching him and was sad to see him go during rebuilding. I thought he would've been a great 2nd star, and yeah he was stuck behind MJ, Pip, and even behind Rodman and Harper.
His averages would have been higher if he was in the league younger and had a more prominent role. Their career averages are about the same right now. If Hedo stays until he is 37, his stats will be lower.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
I'd go with Kukoc for one simple reason.

He played in a much more physical era than Hedo has.

Kukoc would have been vastly more effective in the current NBA and Hedo would have struggled a lot more in the old NBA rules\system.

Kukoc's numbers, adjusted for playing to age 37 and taking minutes played into account in terms of stats instead of "per game" would also help him IMO.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I'm biased towards Kukoc because I'm from Chicago and grew up watching him and was sad to see him go during rebuilding. I thought he would've been a great 2nd star, and yeah he was stuck behind MJ, Pip, and even behind Rodman and Harper.
His averages would have been higher if he was in the league younger and had a more prominent role. Their career averages are about the same right now. If Hedo stays until he is 37, his stats will be lower.
His averages would be lower had he come into the league at a younger age like Turkeyglue.

Hedo averaged about 8 ppg from age 21-25. If we exclude Turkeyglue's first 4 years his numbers go up quite a bit. On the other hand, if we exclude Kukoc's last 4 years (he retired at 37, Hedo is 33 now) his numbers would also go up. So that's pretty much a wash.

You could argue that Kukoc would have had better stats if he were a bigger focal point of the offense, but Kukoc averaged 9.6 shots per game for his career, Turkeyglue right now is at 9.7 shots per game. Even though Turkeyglue started a lot more, he has averaged 28.5 minutes per game vs. 26.3 for Kukoc. There's not much difference there.

And Kukoc's role gave him advantages too. With Jordan and Pippen drawing so much attention on offense it makes it easier to score. He gets more open shots, more driving lanes, etc. Steve Kerr's highest season points per game seasons came playing with Jordan. He shot over 50% from the 3-point line twice playing with Jordan, and another time playing with Duncan and Robinson. Mo Williams' highest points per game season, and only all-star appearance, came playing with Lebron. His 2 highest 3PT% seasons were the two full seasons he played with Lebron as well. A lot of upper tier role players put up worse stats when they go to another team where they're more of a focal point of the offense.

One area where I think Turkeyglue is better is playmaking.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
It's interesting to compare. They were indeed pretty similar. Turk was decidedly the better 3 pt shooter, but if you look at their career stats per 36 minutes, Kukoc was better in most areas:
Hedo Turkoglu NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Toni Kukoc NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

career per 36 minutes:
kukoc .447 fg% .335 3pt%, 5.8 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 15.9 points.

turk: .426 fg% .381 3pt%, 5.3 rebounds 3.9 assists 15.0 points.

Dead even at 2.9 free throws per 36. min, although Hedo had the better FT%.
Kukoc had some impressive years in overall stats per 36 mins. In 1996 he averaged 5.8 rebounds 5.7 assists and 16.9 points per 36 minutes, which is nice.

Another interesting thing is that Kukoc had his pct fg% years early in his career and seemed to steadily decline over time. I always wonder if the other Bulls, especially Pippen, might have ragged on him and screwed with his confidence. I recall reading that Pippen and some of the others gave him crap when he came on, especially about his defense.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's interesting to compare. They were indeed pretty similar. Turk was decidedly the better 3 pt shooter, but if you look at their career stats per 36 minutes, Kukoc was better in most areas:
Hedo Turkoglu NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Toni Kukoc NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

career per 36 minutes:
kukoc .447 fg% .335 3pt%, 5.8 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 15.9 points.

turk: .426 fg% .381 3pt%, 5.3 rebounds 3.9 assists 15.0 points.

Dead even at 2.9 free throws per 36. min, although Hedo had the better FT%.
Kukoc had some impressive years in overall stats per 36 mins. In 1996 he averaged 5.8 rebounds 5.7 assists and 16.9 points per 36 minutes, which is nice.

Another interesting thing is that Kukoc had his pct fg% years early in his career and seemed to steadily decline over time. I always wonder if the other Bulls, especially Pippen, might have ragged on him and screwed with his confidence. I recall reading that Pippen and some of the others gave him crap when he came on, especially about his defense.
As someone that watched >75% of Kukocs games with the Bulls....my opinion is that after Jordan and Pippen left his FG% dropped as defenses ganged up on him. However, as noted earlier he had a distinct euro style that would have been vastly more effective after rules changes opened up the game......which was most of Hedo's era.

In short, Kukoc in the modern era IMO would be hands down ahead of Hedo.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As someone that watched >75% of Kukocs games with the Bulls....my opinion is that after Jordan and Pippen left his FG% dropped as defenses ganged up on him. However, as noted earlier he had a distinct euro style that would have been vastly more effective after rules changes opened up the game......which was most of Hedo's era.

In short, Kukoc in the modern era IMO would be hands down ahead of Hedo.
Yeah exactly right--I had to look it up, but MJ's last year was 97-98, and that was precisely when Kukoc's FG% slide really started. It is weird that his 2nd year in the league was his best fg% year, and he declined after that, but not really that much until MJ left.

I thought the career 5.1 assists per 36 was pretty impressive for a guy 6'10" I wonder if there are any other 6'10" guys who can match that. I don't know of any.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah exactly right--I had to look it up, but MJ's last year was 97-98, and that was precisely when Kukoc's FG% slide really started. It is weird that his 2nd year in the league was his best fg% year, and he declined after that, but not really that much until MJ left.

I thought the career 5.1 assists per 36 was pretty impressive for a guy 6'10" I wonder if there are any other 6'10" guys who can match that. I don't know of any.
Kukoc could absolutely play PG in the league and was an excellent passer. He could also drive the hoop pretty well but in that era they'd just handcheck and push him which would now be illegal.

Clearly if MJ is on the court with you....you are going to get more open shots etc.

I know Kukoc got a bad rap for not being "tough" or whatnot but frankly I think a lot of that stemmed from Pippen and Jordan treating him like a whipping boy because they were pissed about pippens low $$$ contract and that Kukoc was making more.

As big of a dick as Jordan could be I think they'd have run a less mentally tough player out of town so I give him credit there. I lived in Chicago during those years and read all of Lacy Banks columns (and others) during my commutes so a lot of the news that didn't go national (like when Jordan punched Kerr in the face during practice lol) was in the local sports pages.

I think if you dropped Kukoc in the league right now in his prime he'd be a 23-7-7 guy.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I lived in Chicago during those years and read all of Lacy Banks columns (and others) during my commutes so a lot of the news that didn't go national (like when Jordan punched Kerr in the face during practice lol) was in the local sports pages.
Can you imagine that happening now if Lebron punched a teammate in the face?

There would be a gigantic Richie Incognito-style uproar with 24/7 coverage and investigations into NBA locker room culture.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Can you imagine that happening now if Lebron punched a teammate in the face?

There would be a gigantic Richie Incognito-style uproar with 24/7 coverage and investigations into NBA locker room culture.
Yeah, they kept it pretty quiet though. I forget exactly what Kerr claimed....I think he said he caught an accidental elbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball