U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM

306 posts, read 105,915 times

Advertisements

Which do you like better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:57 PM

69,358 posts, read 52,178,233 times
NBA.

I find the sham of the NCAA "student athletes" to be ridiculous and the amount of cheating to be ridiculous.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:22 PM

4,266 posts, read 5,941,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
NBA.

I find the sham of the NCAA "student athletes" to be ridiculous and the amount of cheating to be ridiculous.
I do too. Athletes given full scholarships because of their "special talents" even though they are academically incapable of doing college level work is something that is pure crap. Meanwhile deserving students are constantly turned away or if they're accepted have to rack up massive college loans in order to attend college.

Conversely, full scholarship athletes who come from impoverished areas that get nothing outside of the school is wrong too. The universities make millions and these young men/women don't have any money to spend for even buying an occasional Mt. Dew or meal outside of the campus cafeteria.

Some colleges are now adding an outside stipend to right this situation including my alma mater U. of SD.

University of South Dakota to award stipends to student-athletes

Even with the many problems in the NCAA, give me the college game any day over NBA.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:58 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,927,816 times
There are only ~15 players on a team at any given time, considering several thousand students that go to a particular college, that is a small percentage to award scholarships to.

I do prefer NBA though. Generally players stay longer on a team, better athletes, and you get to see progression(or lack of) happen every season

Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 PM

14,202 posts, read 13,087,046 times
NBA. Would rather watch polished talent than raw talent. I think it's closer to 50/50 across the US though....most people on this forum are NBA fans.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM

9,119 posts, read 6,303,297 times
The local college down the street from me is one of those low tier division 1 schools where players stay all 4 years, so you can watch somebody go from this scrawny kid that all they could do was shoot 3's when they first got to school, and by the senior year watch them become the best guard in the league, and then have them go onto Europe or something, so in that regard it's good. Also, at UConn, not a lot of players are leaving after 1 or 2 years so at least I'll get a couple years of progress for those kids, not like at Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke where half the roster is turning over every year.

I watch both. I renewed League Pass for this year, but for the college game I'll only watch games that are available on TV (i.e ESPN, CBS, local channels, etc.).

Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM

22,402 posts, read 36,373,924 times
Like both but think I enjoy college more, the only college sport can say that for

Old 10-10-2015, 03:44 PM

4,482 posts, read 2,836,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I do too. Athletes given full scholarships because of their "special talents" even though they are academically incapable of doing college level work is something that is pure crap. Meanwhile deserving students are constantly turned away or if they're accepted have to rack up massive college loans in order to attend college.

Conversely, full scholarship athletes who come from impoverished areas that get nothing outside of the school is wrong too. The universities make millions and these young men/women don't have any money to spend for even buying an occasional Mt. Dew or meal outside of the campus cafeteria.

Some colleges are now adding an outside stipend to right this situation including my alma mater U. of SD.

University of South Dakota to award stipends to student-athletes

Even with the many problems in the NCAA, give me the college game any day over NBA.
That is not necessarily the case anymore, at least in Basketball. Many recruits in basketball attended private school during their HS years. Private schools tend to offer a huge amount of financial aid for basketball players to attend. Not saying that makes them smart but generally speaking they are more prepared for college then say Football players, mostly who come from Public Schools.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:12 PM

69,358 posts, read 52,178,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is not necessarily the case anymore, at least in Basketball. Many recruits in basketball attended private school during their HS years. Private schools tend to offer a huge amount of financial aid for basketball players to attend. Not saying that makes them smart but generally speaking they are more prepared for college then say Football players, mostly who come from Public Schools.
Assuming those prep schools aren't coasting them through and making sure they stay eligible if they can't even read.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:47 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,299,122 times
I enjoy watching the NBA, but nothing compares to March Madness. It's my favorite sporting event. I typically only follow in-state teams until it gets to tournament time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball