Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,512,361 times

Advertisements

For supposedly being the best basketball player in the world when his teams don't win why do people always say that he didn't have enough help?

I can agree with that statement with the first Cleveland team that went to the finals. But after that he's been on some pretty loaded teams (of his choosing).

So you mean to tell me that a team with Lebron, Kyrie and Love can't win a championship. Now there are rumors out here that they may sign Joe Johnson who was recently bought out, so the real question should be "why does he need so much help?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,815,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
For supposedly being the best basketball player in the world when his teams don't win why do people always say that he didn't have enough help?

I can agree with that statement with the first Cleveland team that went to the finals. But after that he's been on some pretty loaded teams (of his choosing).

So you mean to tell me that a team with Lebron, Kyrie and Love can't win a championship. Now there are rumors out here that they may sign Joe Johnson who was recently bought out, so the real question should be "why does he need so much help?"
Why do the Dubs need AV. Why did the Spurs need Aldridge.

For all the "Dubs are the deepest team" comments it would be nice for the Cavs to roll out a comparable second unit. We aren't saying Curry needs help.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Why do the Dubs need AV. Why did the Spurs need Aldridge.

For all the "Dubs are the deepest team" comments it would be nice for the Cavs to roll out a comparable second unit. We aren't saying Curry needs help.
I can understand signing free agents or even signing players to replace an injured player. But the Cavs seem to make trade after trade. GS hasn't made any trades this year. Even some Cleveland fans are saying that the team has "sold its soul"

Old 02-26-2016, 01:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,283,467 times
The problem isn't that Lebron needs help, it's that the Warriors exist...or I should say teams like the Warriors exist.

Out of most superstars I think Lebron was/is just around at the wrong time in history to win a bunch of Championships.

Lebron carried the Cavs in his first go around and being on the Heat just made it easier.

Same with Kobe and Shaq. It was much easier with the two of them, than just Kobe.

----

I also think due to the changes of the way the game is played, the reliance on 3s and small ball, shoot first PGs, that Lebron's style of play just isn't as effective at carrying a team.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The problem isn't that Lebron needs help, it's that the Warriors exist...or I should say teams like the Warriors exist.

Out of most superstars I think Lebron was/is just around at the wrong time in history to win a bunch of Championships.

Lebron carried the Cavs in his first go around and being on the Heat just made it easier.

Same with Kobe and Shaq. It was much easier with the two of them, than just Kobe.

----

I also think due to the changes of the way the game is played, the reliance on 3s and small ball, shoot first PGs, that Lebron's style of play just isn't as effective at carrying a team.
Good points.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:57 PM

78,599 posts, read 60,785,925 times
I can't really think of a single player that just carried a team to a championship without much surrounding talent.

On top of that, OP....you do realize that both Love and KI were hurt in the playoffs last year right?

Or are you just looking at the roster now and wondering why they couldn't win last year?

Not following your point since they've been together for one playoffs in which 2 of 3 were hurt.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,538 times
I'd have to say the Sixers team that made it to the Finals was pretty dominant with Allen Iverson at the helm, even though they got killed by the Lakers. The 2011 Mavs were Dirk and a bunch of guys who played well with the Mavs, but not equally as well with any other team they've landed on since then.

Statistically, every winning team in the Finals has at least two guys that are number 1 & 2 on their team. I grew up in the Jordan and Pippen era, and Jordan wasn't Jordan without Pippen. Pippen proved that by taking the Bulls, without Jordan, to the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,283,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can't really think of a single player that just carried a team to a championship without much surrounding talent.

On top of that, OP....you do realize that both Love and KI were hurt in the playoffs last year right?

Or are you just looking at the roster now and wondering why they couldn't win last year?

Not following your point since they've been together for one playoffs in which 2 of 3 were hurt.
No kidding.

It was basically the Lebron and Dellavedova show. Delly was almost hyped more than Lin. He played good in spurts, in that series, though.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:21 AM

78,599 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
No kidding.

It was basically the Lebron and Dellavedova show. Delly was almost hyped more than Lin. He played good in spurts, in that series, though.
GSW "kids" were nervous the first few games or due to the injuries it would have been a lopsided series and over even quicker. Once they got acclimated I think they won the remaining games by fairly large margins as they should with Cleveland being so short handed.

In short, I think Delly looked better than he was playing but then again, he's not even a starter so I think relative to that he did what he could.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,215,760 times
I'll come at this from a different angle than the others.

LeBron doesn't need help at all. Let me explain. If anything, there is too much talent on the Cavs roster. I mean, if you look at them on paper, you're almost like wtf.

What the Cavs need are team building and spirit building. Some nights when I watch the Cavs (the recent Raps game for example), the team is just going through the motions. You could take the early 90s Dream Team and if they just went through the motions and didn't have heart or hustle, they'd struggle. They lost to the college players in practice, remember that craziness?

All the metrics in the world and all the talent in the world aren't going to explain it away when the Cavs don't pull it off in the playoffs this year. They better find their hustle or drive. And the Raps game was yesterday.

And I'm not hating on the Cavs. So much potential on that team. But all I ask is watch them play. Don't pay attention to metrics or stats. Watch them. You'll see that "going through the motions" that I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball