Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:30 PM

609 posts, read 503,225 times

Advertisements

He is worth what the market is willing to pay him. If the Grizzlies believe that is where they want to spend their cap money ... who are we to tell them otherwise? Each team has to spend their cap money and there are 15 players per team. On each and every team, there will be a guy paid the same $ (or close to) as LeBron James.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The problem I have is that role players like Ryan Anderson and Timofey Mozgov are getting a combined 144 million while the 2 time MVP Steph Curry is working for basically less than peanuts and Klay Thompson isn't getting much else either.
The fact that Mike Conley is going to be the highest paid player next year proves how absurd these contracts are! Is he good?? He's decent. Is he worth $153 million?? Absolutely hell not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:29 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,088,746 times
I hate that its guaranteed money. They sign and can play like crap if they want because they will still get paid. They need to make these contracts to where they have to earn their money based on their play.

Bismack Bitombo IS NOT a 70 million dollar player. Scoring 6 pts a game and playing well for 4 games in a row should not equal 15+ million a year.

Dwight Howard DOES NOT deserve 20+ MILLION a year. J Noah DOES NOT deserve 18 million and Im sacred to see what the Mavs will pay Harrison Barnes.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:45 PM

NBA generated $6 billions in revenues. 50% goes to players. Top players salaries are capped.
You rather have the owners keep all the money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I hate that its guaranteed money. They sign and can play like crap if they want because they will still get paid. They need to make these contracts to where they have to earn their money based on their play.

Bismack Bitombo IS NOT a 70 million dollar player. Scoring 6 pts a game and playing well for 4 games in a row should not equal 15+ million a year.

Dwight Howard DOES NOT deserve 20+ MILLION a year. J Noah DOES NOT deserve 18 million and Im sacred to see what the Mavs will pay Harrison Barnes.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:33 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,088,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
NBA generated $6 billions in revenues. 50% goes to players. Top players salaries are capped.
You rather have the owners keep all the money?
I don't want the owners hording all the money, but they need to pay people what they are worth. Some of these players put up average to below average stats for the 82 game season and have a 4-5 game hot streak in the playoffs and then think they deserve max money afterwards and ignore their mediocrity of the entire season. And in today's NBA, these max contract players will want a day off for rest in February or March too. I'm sure next year Lebron, Curry , and Durant are going to demand 40 million a year.

It's almost like paying a fast food cashier $80k.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:45 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,023,894 times
Quote:
I don't want the owners hording all the money, but they need to pay people what they are worth. Some of these players put up average to below average stats for the 82 game season and have a 4-5 game hot streak in the playoffs and then think they deserve max money afterwards and ignore their mediocrity of the entire season. And in today's NBA, these max contract players will want a day off for rest in February or March too. I'm sure next year Lebron, Curry , and Durant are going to demand 40 million a year.

If the available funds say that cashier is afforded 80k then that's what he gets.
If the market says a computer programmer can earn 10mil per year then that's what he gets.

You can't say Connelly isn't worth 30mil a year because curry only makes 10. When the players on older contracts earn new contracts over the next few years, they will balance out.

You gotta stop looking at what players have been making in the past and look at their future.
Magic Johnson, one of the greatest ever, made a TOTAL of just over $18,000,000 over his career. Jordan went from 3.8 to 30.1 from one season to the next.

Markets change.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM

The NBA Players Union and the owners have agreed on contract structure for player salaries. Players will be paid what's in the CBA. The league is making $6billions in revenues.
Let me ask again: Who should get that money? The owners? What work do they do to even earn that money that's coming their way?
What we are seeing here is the power of Unions. In America, we have demonized worker Unions. But that is exactly what they have achieved for these players. Imagine your company was forced to share profits with you ... wouldn't that be nice?
Quote:

Old 07-04-2016, 08:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,853 times
Can't blame the players. They generate the money so better them than the billionaire owners. My grip is that money should be building the arenas not public funds. Stop costing tax payers money to fund things. If that means players make less then so be it. It is ridiculous that awful players are being paid more than MJ/Magic/Bird. But I remember when the Lakers signed Magic to 25years for 25million and people freaked out. lol How much?! That's chump change to losers getting max deals right now. Sad reality.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:56 AM

Donald Sterling bought the Clippers for $12 millions and sold it for $2 Billions. And the Clippers were the most losing Franchise in sports history, while he owned it. Let that sink in for a minute . I agree with you that these Millionaires/Billionaires are forcing citizens to build Arenas. Remember when Seattle refused to build an Arena and the Super Sonics team moved to Oklahoma? We need a fans revolution ... ha ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Can't blame the players. They generate the money so better them than the billionaire owners. My grip is that money should be building the arenas not public funds. Stop costing tax payers money to fund things. If that means players make less then so be it. It is ridiculous that awful players are being paid more than MJ/Magic/Bird. But I remember when the Lakers signed Magic to 25years for 25million and people freaked out. lol How much?! That's chump change to losers getting max deals right now. Sad reality.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,023,894 times
Ahhh yes the rich person hate is strong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball