Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:08 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nearly a month after pulling the All-Star game from Charlotte, the NBA reportedly has chosen New Orleans as the week long extravaganza's new host city.

This was a rather quick, if expected, decision by the NBA, but with all of the planning and logistics needed to host an All-Star game, the league needed to quickly find a new city. New Orleans seems like a natural fit as the weather is conducive to a mid-season break and the city has hosted the All-Star Game in the past, most recently in 2014.

The NBA's decision to move the All-Star Game is still a striking one. Charlotte was chosen as the host city in 2015 but after North Carolina's controversial House Bill 2 law, which discriminated against the LGBT community in the state, the NBA was quite vocal in its displeasure of the legislation.
New Orleans will host 2017 NBA All-Star Game that Charlotte lost - CBSSports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 01:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
On another note 56 percent of Division 1 Basketball Coaches want tournament games banned from NC.

Candid Coaches: Should NCAA ban tourney in North Carolina due to bathroom law? - CBSSports.com

Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
On another note 56 percent of Division 1 Basketball Coaches want tournament games banned from NC.

Candid Coaches: Should NCAA ban tourney in North Carolina due to bathroom law? - CBSSports.com
Now, that's a bit surprising.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
I am an Indian Trail, NC resident, just outside of Charlotte, and while I'm disappointed that the NBA All-Star game has been taken away from Charlotte, I was actually planning to attend as many events as possible, I commend local government for sticking to their principles and not allowing the NBA to bully them. We all have our own views on this bill. I personally support it. I just don't agree with males walking into female's locker rooms and showers at school. I am a parent to two young girls, and I would be PISSED if boys were allowed in their locker rooms and showers at school.

Silver and the NBA should have stayed out of it, but instead they completely disregarded the fan base in Charlotte.

I hope at some point they do bring the game to Charlotte.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I am an Indian Trail, NC resident, just outside of Charlotte, and while I'm disappointed that the NBA All-Star game has been taken away from Charlotte, I was actually planning to attend as many events as possible, I commend local government for sticking to their principles and not allowing the NBA to bully them. We all have our own views on this bill. I personally support it. I just don't agree with males walking into female's locker rooms and showers at school. I am a parent to two young girls, and I would be PISSED if boys were allowed in their locker rooms and showers at school.

Silver and the NBA should have stayed out of it, but instead they completely disregarded the fan base in Charlotte.

You don't expect us to believe the odd bathroom politics in North Carolina are supported by the majority of the Charlotte fan base do you?

Silver gave NC politics a B-slap... no backward thinking for the NBA.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
You don't expect us to believe the odd bathroom politics in North Carolina are supported by the majority of the Charlotte fan base do you?

Silver gave NC politics a B-slap... no backward thinking for the NBA.

Backward thinking? I think you got that backward.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I can totally understand your position on locker-rooms, but HB2 was about rest-rooms. Keep in mind HB2 only refers to public government facilities. Micheal Jordan has already come out against discrimination which means for example at the "Time Warner Cable Arena, a trans individual would be allowed to use the bathroom of choice. Not sure how much of your fan-base is aware of that.
Hornets owner Michael Jordan speaks out on HB2 law in North Carolina - CBSSports.com

The NBA has already stated that no future All-Star games will be scheduled until the law is modified. Maybe the best compromise is for the citizens of NC to call for government to provide a third option single use bathroom at all public facilities.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I can totally understand your position on locker-rooms, but HB2 was about rest-rooms. Keep in mind HB2 only refers to public government facilities. Micheal Jordan has already come out against discrimination which means for example at the "Time Warner Cable Arena, a trans individual would be allowed to use the bathroom of choice. Not sure how much of your fan-base is aware of that.
Hornets owner Michael Jordan speaks out on HB2 law in North Carolina - CBSSports.com

The NBA has already stated that no future All-Star games will be scheduled until the law is modified. Maybe the best compromise is for the citizens of NC to call for government to provide a third option single use bathroom at all public facilities.
Doesn't the bill also apply to public schools? If I'm not mistaken, it applies to government facilities as well as public schools, and I believe it includes locker rooms, but I'm not 100% percent. I'll look it up though... I can tell you from speaking to the many parents who I have talked to about this bill that everyone I've spoken to supports the bill.

I would be ALL FOR having a third option for transgender people, but I'm afraid some might think it's discriminatory.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:48 AM

Here is a link to the Charlotte Observer's website. Take a look at the section titled "How does HB2 affect schools".

Understanding HB2: North Carolina

Old 08-25-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Doesn't the bill also apply to public schools? If I'm not mistaken, it applies to government facilities as well as public schools, and I believe it includes locker rooms, but I'm not 100% percent. I'll look it up though... I can tell you from speaking to the many parents who I have talked to about this bill that everyone I've spoken to supports the bill.

I would be ALL FOR having a third option for transgender people, but I'm afraid some might think it's discriminatory.
Yes, the bill applies to public schools which I guess would include the locker-room. Providing another option other then forcing a trans individual to use a bathroom or locker-room in accordance to birth sex would go a long way in assuring non-discrimination and satisfying the NBA . Also keep in mind NCAA has recently adopted a policy that no new future events (tournaments) will be scheduled in states that have anti LGBT laws. There are currently events scheduled in NC through the end of 2018. Nothing will be scheduled beyond that as long as HB2 stands as present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball