Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Stoudamire also came directly out of high school.
Moot point really. Amare was 20 when he came into the league (pretty old for no college)

Amare had 5 of his 14 seasons averaging under 15ppg. Richmond 5 worst scoring seasons, 21.9, 19.7, 17.4, 16.2, 4.1 (at 36 yrs old last season)
Richmond also never benefitted from a guy like Steve Nash feeding him the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
If Mitch Richmond made it, I see no reason why Amare wouldn't. He has a more distinguished career than Mitch: Richmond never made an All-NBA First Team. He did, however, join an already successful team in the twilight of his career and get a ring. Maybe Amare should take the League minimum and join the Warriors.

I would have thought he could hold up at least one more season, especially a season when scrubs are getting enormous contracts. He was still a decent rim protector at his age.

The one comparative category Amare wins over Richmond is the all-nba selections.
Richmond made 3 x 2nd teams and 2 x 3rd teams vs. 1 x 1st and 4 x 2nd for Amare

All-star games are comparable.

Richmond does have the edge with international competition with a gold & a bronze vs. a bronze for Amare.

Richmond does have the college stuff too which was 2 excellent seasons at K-state.

Richmond has about 4k more points and was also NBA ROY.

I don't think the twilight ring really matters one way or another to HOF voters.

If it were the NBA HOF (which it isn't) then I can see an argument that they are in the ball-park of each other.
However, with the college and gold medal etc. I think are what separates them.

Amare would be one of the starters on the "didn't make the HOF team" assuming he doesn't.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

looks like amare tried to end it in the valley of the sun, but they didnt want him.

Amar'e Stoudemire Wanted To Finish Career With Suns - RealGM Wiretap

Old 07-29-2016, 02:19 PM

653 posts, read 783,418 times
Quote:
If Mitch Richmond made it, I see no reason why Amare wouldn't. He has a more distinguished career than Mitch: Richmond never made an All-NBA First Team. He did, however, join an already successful team in the twilight of his career and get a ring. Maybe Amare should take the League minimum and join the Warriors.

I would have thought he could hold up at least one more season, especially a season when scrubs are getting enormous contracts. He was still a decent rim protector at his age.
With all due respect to Reggie, IMHO Mitch Richmond was second only to MJ in the 90s. It's hard to crack the All-NBA First Team when Jordan is in the league.

Richmond was a great scorer and defender. Put it like this, he made the HOF even though he played the majority of his career in Sacramento.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:37 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I think the baseball HOF does it best, because they value longevity over a few good or great seasons. Amare has barely played the past several seasons and I don't believe was the best at his position or close to it for any length of time when he was in his prime.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:53 AM

He has 14 seasons, 7 of them he played less than 60 games. He actually missed more than 1/4 of the possible regular season games he could have played.
His averages look ok but skewed a bit maybe for lack of games played.
Durability and that stupid "black Jesus" tattoo on his neck, 2 reasons to miss out on HOF status.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:55 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
With all due respect to Reggie, IMHO Mitch Richmond was second only to MJ in the 90s. It's hard to crack the All-NBA First Team when Jordan is in the league.

Richmond was a great scorer and defender. Put it like this, he made the HOF even though he played the majority of his career in Sacramento.
Tough choice. I was a big Mitch Richmond fan even when he was with Kansas State. Im not sure who I pick between him and Reggie (I think I lean Mitch--due to D), but Richmond was a helluva a player, and I would take him over Amare.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM

Just keep remembering....it's not the NBA HOF....it's the basketball HOF.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just keep remembering....it's not the NBA HOF....it's the basketball HOF.
I heard someone say that somewhere... Hmmm

HA!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I heard someone say that somewhere... Hmmm

HA!
We should get shirts made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball