Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 05:41 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/fo...211023845.html

maybe because i dont really watch baseball or football i am just hyper sensitive to it in the basketball world but it seems nba players have a large % of players who cant manage their money ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
They'll have call it the National Bankruptcy Association soon!

And yes, I laugh because how does one blow through tens of millions of dollars?

I'm sure any of us "normal" people on here, if given $10 million dollars, would be able to live off that not only for the rest of our lives but our children and maybe even grandchildren. Even something as simple as diversifying that money into boring blue chips, mutual funds, etc. would not just protect but grow that fortune.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
They'll have call it the National Bankruptcy Association soon!

And yes, I laugh because how does one blow through tens of millions of dollars?

I'm sure any of us "normal" people on here, if given $10 million dollars, would be able to live off that not only for the rest of our lives but our children and maybe even grandchildren. Even something as simple as diversifying that money into boring blue chips, mutual funds, etc. would not just protect but grow that fortune.
Because you have kids from the ghetto where generations never knew any form of financial security coming into tens of millions of dollars without knowing how NOT to blow it all. Financial counceling really needs to be mandatory for all new players in the league to help prevent this from happening further. They can start with advice from former players (like Kobe) on how not to get taken advantage of by those in your life, including family.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Because you have kids from the ghetto where generations never knew any form of financial security coming into tens of millions of dollars without knowing how NOT to blow it all. Financial counceling really needs to be mandatory for all new players in the league to help prevent this from happening further. They can start with advice from former players (like Kobe) on how not to get taken advantage of by those in your life, including family.
even sound financial planning doesnt always work, ask tim duncan whos financial adviser is being used for mismanaging funds.

the ghetto point IMO is very valid also.

Quote:
Sure NBA Players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too."
Hoop They get a bad rap. Guys like Latrell Sprewell proclaiming, "I've got a family to feed," in declining a 3 year, $21 million contract.. Miami Heat's Gary Payton isn't sure how many Bentley's he owns. "I've got four of five of them," he says. I say that about how many clean pairs of undies I've got when deciding whether or not to do laundry. Conversely, I know exactly how many Bentleys I've got.

My personal favorite. Patrick Ewing as President of the Player's Association during contract negotiations, "Sure NBA players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too."

So, this was something different. This month's Sports Illustrated had an article on Toronto Raptors' Forward, Matt Bonner. No, he's not a superstar. He can rest assured that he will never have to worry his chances of making the Hall of Fame. But that's not very important these days. He is 6'10" and not clumsy. That's worth a $4 million, two year contract.

So, what does a guy like that do? Phat sportscar? Sick threads? Pimped out pad? Nah, he lives like us po' personal finance bloggers. He doesn't own a car. Instead, he takes the subway. He lives in a one bedroom apartment, and moved his parents up from a two bedroom condo to a three bedroom house. When he had an itch to upgrade his subway sandwich to "double chicken" he passed. At two bucks, he thought it was a rip-off!

Old 09-20-2016, 04:20 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Also, from the article, Darius Miles lost a lot of money in bad real estate deals, not in blowing money on trash. So, no easy answer really.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 AM

167 posts, read 125,632 times
Not surprised by Miles mishandling that amount of money, always seemed to be a dumbass.

But this quote in the article:
Quote:
NBAPA vice president Adonal Foyle, quoted in the Belleville News-Democrat piece, pointed out that sixty percent of ex-NBA players file for bankruptcy within five years of their retirement.
yikes

Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM

and now this story about glen rice being so broke he got his child support reduced

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/1339e2a...te-hornet.html

Old 09-21-2016, 07:35 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The NBA has instituted programs\changes to help address some of this.

The key is to bolster their pensions which in most cases can't be touched by creditors thus guaranteeing them income for life because there is just no helping some people with spending problems whether they're NBA or work in construction.

They've also put rules in place about having a money manager that isn't a relative.......

Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
It is pretty sad.

Lifestyle, child support, people taking advantage, etc... And absolutely no clue.

Most of us middle class folk, even though we're not rich and not that good with our money have lived a "normal" life not too much excess and/or gradual changes. A lot of ball players, especially from poor places are living extremes.

A pension is a great idea, and I wonder if the irony of only making 50k a year in retirement would be more of an incentive to not blow their money than never imagining they'll be broke.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:33 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
It is pretty sad.

Lifestyle, child support, people taking advantage, etc... And absolutely no clue.

Most of us middle class folk, even though we're not rich and not that good with our money have lived a "normal" life not too much excess and/or gradual changes. A lot of ball players, especially from poor places are living extremes.

A pension is a great idea, and I wonder if the irony of only making 50k a year in retirement would be more of an incentive to not blow their money than never imagining they'll be broke.
I think their pensions are a lot more robust than that, especially now with the big deals for even the mediocre guys. Take the 70mil mozgov just got (or thereabouts) and take 5% to fund a pension. $3.5million plus investment returns over time would pay a guy like that starting at say age 40 probably 300k a year pretty easily until death.

There is so much money in the NBA even prior to the new deal that setting up anyone that had a 5-6 year career with 100k/year pension starting at age 40 would be pretty easy and they wouldn't even notice the income missing from their check.

I seem to recall OJ's pension pays him 100k/year or more and he never made anywhere near the money the NBAers are getting. It was news because the goldman family couldn't touch his pension.

Here is a good article on their current plan:
Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans | Investopedia

I think that they could easily refine that and address the issue, if not the owners the players association should do this to protect their guys that don't have the savy or discipline of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball