Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I was curious about there rotation. I did some quick research and saw that they have 9 guys averaging 20+ minutes per game (using 19.0+ as the cut off). I thought that was maybe a good thing and looked up the Spurs, they've got 8 guys averaging 20min. Other successful teams like the Warriors, Cavs, Clippers, Trailblazers, OKC, were all between 6-7 I think. But then I looked at the Pelicans and 76ers and they were at 9 and 10 respectively. Pelicans were actually really close to having 10 guys. My initial thought was that it could be good to try to replicate what the spurs do, but these bad teams also show that it could just be a byproduct of just not having enough good players to begin with.

Kind of like the old football saying, if you have two QB's, it means you don't have a good QB.
Well there is no "one guy" yet on the Lakers. Russell shows flashes, but he's been a bit inconsistent. The other high volume scorers, Williams and Young are streaky, and really, that's all they can do.

Lakers are #1/2 in pace right now, which doesn't mean much except that they are 7th overall in Def and about 17th in offense, which combined should be very promising towards a playoff run if they keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Well there is no "one guy" yet on the Lakers. Russell shows flashes, but he's been a bit inconsistent. The other high volume scorers, Williams and Young are streaky, and really, that's all they can do.

Lakers are #1/2 in pace right now, which doesn't mean much except that they are 7th overall in Def and about 17th in offense, which combined should be very promising towards a playoff run if they keep it up.
I'm all for the Lakers making the playoffs (Mathguy and I have a little friendly bet- three years left). Can't buy into the overall rankings. Some teams off back to backs, others are on road trips, some just don't show their true colors one night and shoot poorly or everything falls. Others are figuring out new rotations or have their stars out of shape early on. For instance, Cavs are a very ordinary 6-0 team at the moment- got a couple breaks to win in Philly the other night.

I think the Lakers can be a 35 win team. Although the numbers say otherwise, I don't think its a huge jump from last year, but there are some factors at play in getting there and I mentioned these at the end of last year.

1. Adding a top talent in the Draft (Simmons or Ingram). It ended up being Ingram.
2. Russell and other youngest developing. I saw first hand Russell enter Ohio St. as a very shaky ball handler in his frosh year, but the middle of the year he was running the point by the end of the year he was one of the best in NCAA CB. He's got a high ceiling. No doubt he will develop as a consistent scorer in the NBA.
3. Kobe circus left.
4. Kobe offense left.
5. New coach. I saw the problems Byron Scott had in Cleveland. I was shocked he got his chance with the Lakers.

Doubling a win total given these factors- not crazy at all.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:01 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
And the fact that the only real playing rookie is Ingram. Russell, Clarkson, Randle are 2nd/3rd year players with experience now. Walton is having Ingram play point on a lot of possessions giving him a bunch more confidence too.

The chemistry on this team is awesome. And I think it has to do with their age, new system and coach.

Walton has given this team a new life; they're running, playing D and battling in close games.

Without a couple of bonehead plays they could easily be 5-1, possibly even 6-0 right now.

After beating an admittedly poor playing Warriors team, I think the Lakers are finding their identity in a sort of Warriors-lite style of play.

I still think the Lakers have one of the best benches in the league right now too.

I agree, so far in this early season there is some good chemistry and the bench is making some good contributions. In fact during the 3 game winning streak they've had balance scoring with 6 players having double figures, so they don't rely on a big scorer to carry them.

The Lakers play the Warriors again later this month, in fact twice. At Golden State on Wednesday 11/23 and at Staples on Friday 11/25 (thanksgiving being between those dates). If they're gonna be a playoff team, they have to be able to compete against the Western Conference elites. Should be a good compelling early test. With that said, its a long season with plenty of time to grow and develop and with Luke Walton leading them, they seem headed in the right direction.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:13 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
I;m surprised the sixers are 0-5 after playing OKC and Cleveland so tough. The way they played the first game I was not expecting them to lose the next 4 games.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Well not exactly true. The lux tax will be around 122mil next year and including the 27mil Durant is expected to make (via player option) the warriors are only on the books for 67mil. Only 38mil guaranteed.
They could sign both curry and Durant to max deals, after signing Livingston and AI to new deals and be hugging the lux tax.
There has been talk of tax being 127mil so could make even more room.
Remember Durant could opt in and sign an extension pushing his salary increase back a year when the cap will likely go up again.
They will be able to get a few vets to sign at minimums, and AI and Livingston will likely take less than market, especially if they win a title or make the finals competitive in a loss.
AI and Livingston will not take less than market. They are going after their last big contract and they will get paid. This year is their best chance for them to win it or not.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
AI and Livingston will not take less than market. They are going after their last big contract and they will get paid. This year is their best chance for them to win it or not.
we will see but you would be surprised what guys will do at the end of their career to stay on a great team.
david west is a prime example, he gave up 11 mil to join the spurs last year and took even less than the spurs could offer him to join the warriors this year. he was 1 year older than AI will be at the end of this season.
they could offer 10 mil each to those 2, 3 mil to zaza, and 30 to curry and still be under the tax next year with 11 guys on the payroll. they only need 2 more.
the following year gets tighter but the cap will go up.

not everyone in the league is looking to get paid on the back end of their career.
livingston has never made more than he is now and i would expect he takes something around 7-8 mil to stick with the team that got him a ring and depending on what happens this year may get a 2nd.

the miami heat got those type of guys, the spurs get those type of guys, the cavs have those type of guys, there is no indication that the warriors cant retain those type of guys.

i know youre a rockets guy, sorry but not every team builds lack of loyalty like morey.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:51 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I'm all for the Lakers making the playoffs (Mathguy and I have a little friendly bet- three years left). Can't buy into the overall rankings. Some teams off back to backs, others are on road trips, some just don't show their true colors one night and shoot poorly or everything falls. Others are figuring out new rotations or have their stars out of shape early on. For instance, Cavs are a very ordinary 6-0 team at the moment- got a couple breaks to win in Philly the other night.

I think the Lakers can be a 35 win team. Although the numbers say otherwise, I don't think its a huge jump from last year, but there are some factors at play in getting there and I mentioned these at the end of last year.

1. Adding a top talent in the Draft (Simmons or Ingram). It ended up being Ingram.
2. Russell and other youngest developing. I saw first hand Russell enter Ohio St. as a very shaky ball handler in his frosh year, but the middle of the year he was running the point by the end of the year he was one of the best in NCAA CB. He's got a high ceiling. No doubt he will develop as a consistent scorer in the NBA.
3. Kobe circus left.
4. Kobe offense left.
5. New coach. I saw the problems Byron Scott had in Cleveland. I was shocked he got his chance with the Lakers.

Good post, pretty fair assessment.

I've already won most my arguments with the rabid laker fans that mostly don't post here anymore and used to call me Laker hater that they wouldn't get big free agents, that Kobe's game was in decline and a host of other arguments.

If Walton comes in as the wild-card and it looks like he has, along with some lottery luck then more power to them....I really like what they are doing and could definitely see 35 wins from any squad working that hard.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

3. Kobe circus left.
4. Kobe offense left.

I was pretty shocked as well. Every stop has made me think less of Scott as a coach, and I thought he was terrible with the Lakers last season. I would think his head coaching run should be over.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Pretty interesting article on how the NBA champs meet the President.

What happens when Barack Obama welcomes NBA champions to the White House? | cleveland.com

Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM

578 posts, read 458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Pretty interesting article on how the NBA champs meet the President.

What happens when Barack Obama welcomes NBA champions to the White House? | cleveland.com
his seen lebron 3 times!which president can say that?Bill clinton seen jordan 3 times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball