Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It seemed to be a temporary situation because he came back and played well later in the game, but yes his career is make-or-break based on the health of his ankles, so it's always a scary moment when this happens.

BTW, sorry to hear the news about Wade. I know not much was expected of the Bulls for the rest of the year, but this pretty much kills any expectations.
Yeah, just looking back to this time last year when GS fans were posting about dynasties, 5-peats.....just mail us the trophy now stuff.

One wrong landing and boom, everything just changed for your team.

Now we're looking at a GS team that with a bad break or two might never win another championship in the next decade...same is true for Cleveland and the Spurs before anyone has a hernia.

Appreciate what you've got because sh*t can get real in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
After the Saturday Night decision by the Cav's to choose the National TV game to rest their Big 3 stars instead of the next game against the Lakers who are already playing their bench the ABC announcers sounded like they should get a refund for the "bait and switch". I wonder how the other teams in the playoff hunt with the Clippers feel.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You make a solid argument for WHY he should win but based upon historical voting patterns it seems like the MVP voters use a different criteria which heavily weights the number of games won by the team.

Personally, I wish more voters thought like you do on the subject. Not a big fan of the award just going to guys on stacked teams that can put up 55+ wins.

I agree with this sentiment. But it becomes the age old argument of what really is the definition of MVP? Just where would OKC be without Westbrook? To be fair, and I didnt think I would ever say this, but where would Houston be without James Harden this season?

Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
[quote=Mathguy;47545365]Yeah, just looking back to this time last year when GS fans were posting about dynasties, 5-peats.....just mail us the trophy now stuff.

Now we're looking at a GS team that with a bad break or two might never win another championship in the next decade...same is true for Cleveland and the Spurs before anyone has a hernia.

Appreciate what you've got because sh*t can get real in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, remember how OKC (The Harden, Westbrook Durant edition) was set up to be the potential dominant team of the decade after they lost to the Heat in...what was that? 2012?

They never even made it back to the Finals...

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 PM

[quote=IXCell;47561653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, just looking back to this time last year when GS fans were posting about dynasties, 5-peats.....just mail us the trophy now stuff.

Appreciate what you've got because sh*t can get real in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, remember how OKC (The Harden, Westbrook Durant edition) was set up to be the potential dominant team of the decade after they lost to the Heat in...what was that? 2012?

They never even made it back to the Finals...
Yeah, one of my biggest failed predictions. I failed to account for egos ripping that team apart.

But hey, let's watch Westbrook struggle now since he drove of "Shaq".

Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
[/b]

I agree with this sentiment. But it becomes the age old argument of what really is the definition of MVP? Just where would OKC be without Westbrook? To be fair, and I didnt think I would ever say this, but where would Houston be without James Harden this season?
I agree. Argument is in TWO parts.

What is our own criteria and what is the historical voting criteria.

Hey, I'd love it if women thought short guys like me were hotter than tall guys but let's be honest, that's not reality.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM

10,747 posts, read 4,342,219 times
ESPN showed a graph of the number of games players sat out, and this season that number has doubled (about 300 games rested, compared to about 140 last season), whereas back in 2012-13 only 8 games rested.
Players can claim that they have to rest in order to win the championship, but its very hard to prove that.
And are they accusing Michael Jordan of not caring about winning a championship?
Michael Jordan played EVERY GAME in his last 3 seasons with the Bulls, and 3-peated.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
After the Saturday Night decision by the Cav's to choose the National TV game to rest their Big 3 stars instead of the next game against the Lakers who are already playing their bench the ABC announcers sounded like they should get a refund for the "bait and switch". I wonder how the other teams in the playoff hunt with the Clippers feel.
The Cavs don't care, the Cavs fans don't care. Just win a title and hopefully enjoy the playoff run. If the NBA and its fans are so opposed to it- very simple solution- shorten the season.

Lebron logs 100+ games the past six years. Kyrie has had a couple bad injuries early in his career, Love is coming off a knew surgery. Maybe the go for broke approach hurt their chances in 15-16

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,316 times
These kinds of things actually force me to agree with Charles Barkley. The product is getting bad. Resting star players? All at the same time? Why not stagger it? Why not cut minutes during games throughout the season? Why is LeBron playing nearly 40 minutes a game anyway?

Its a bad look on the NBA. I know some will say its about winning. But rec leagues crown champions too. What makes the NBA different is its a multi billion dollar enterprise. And that's due to fans and sponsors. They are owed something too. If the regular season means nothing I bet Disney wishes someone would have told them. The NBA (owners and players) can give them some of their TV money back.

Star players are the league and they know it. They have a responsibility to play. Jordan had a great philosophy of why he played hard ever single game. I guess that mentality is out of style now.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
I've said this before when its happened with the Spurs and I'll say it again:

NBA head coaches only care about 1 thing, and that is how can I prepare my team the best to win a championship. If that means resting Duncan, Manu, Parker, Leonard 20 times a year during the regular season, then so be it. The NBA has 2 solutions to fix this, option 1 being a lot better, and a lot more likely than option 2, and also more doable.

Option 1: Shorten the season. 82 game full seasons is useless. Basically, the NBA season doesn't even start for real until the calendar flips to May, or in the case last year June. Why do we have to play an 82 game season when basically there's only 3 or 4 teams that are going to realistically be standing at the end. Seems like complete overkill. Knocking off 20 games will take the place of players sitting.
Option 2: Make the game on TV a lot worse off than the in game experience. NFL is going through this now. With how many options there are with the NFL (Redzone, direct TV game pass, not exuberant prices at your own fridge, fantasy stats at your fingertips) there's a lot of people that are skipping the NFL in-game experience when the at home experience is as good, if not even better than spending all day at the stadium. With league pass, and national TV games 4 to 5 times a week, everyone can see LeBron & Curry anyways on their iPhones, or tablets. It's not 2000 where the only time you could see those guys were when they played in your local market, it's 2017 every player is available at your finger tips.

Sure, it sucks if you paid $3,500 courtside seats and $45 parking not to mention $100 in outrageous concession stand prices at the MODO Center in Portland to see the Cavs & LeBron, but instead you got the towel boy & water boy starting with 3 other subs of the subs, but that's the risk you take when it's 2017 and have everything available to watch your teams at home. For the one $3,500 courtside seat at the MODO Center, that same person could buy about 17 years worth of NBA League Pass subscriptions, and see LeBron and the Cavs whenever he wanted, wherever he wanted. And with the option to watch games on archived, when the Cavs are in Portland and LeBron doesn't show up, he doesn't even have to watch, and just go to the next game, the next night in Sacramento when he does play.

There's a reason the only games I'll go to know are college and 2 or 3 baseball games where you know almost none of the major players are going to play every game. The at home experience is just so much better than the in-game experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball