Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:00 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
That is because there is some "meaning" to it, or something on the line. The allstar game in baseball (up until this year) determined who got home field in the World Series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
That is exactly what I was going to say, right now the MLB has the best all star game and it's not even close. And that is because it actually does mean something. They should give the winning conf. home court advantage in the NBA Finals.

No, the baseball All-Star game isn't the best because the winner gets home advantage in the World Series (or did for a while). It was the best All-Star game even before that became a part of it. The reason the baseball All-Star game is the best is because baseball is unlike all of those other games which are basically just slight variations of "put the ball in the hole at the end of the rectangular field as many times as you can in an hour". It's the only one of those games that readily lends itself to being played by teams that haven't actually been playing together for a while. Also, the non-contact aspect of baseball allows the game to be played all-out, without much chance of the players being injured (the Pete Rose/Ray Fosse incident being a notable exception).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Get rid of this joke. It's hard enough watching NBA regular season games and watching half of these guys just go through the motions. The NFL is even worse. Might as well make it a flag football game.

Only all-star game I MIGHT watch is baseball. Big money has so corrupted all these professional athletes that when it comes to games like these they don't have enough pride to do their best.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Kinda hard to play for home court in the finals when players not on the Cavs or Warriors know it doesn't matter.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Give the games winner homecourt finals like they do in baseball??? That would sure spice things up.

All-star game is imo aimed at very young fans though so flashy with no substance will work just fine with them.

I think the NBA uses the all-star game to try to attract young and global viewers.
I was thinking along the same lines...Those NBA allstars need some sort of incentive. That is to play some defense. Did you see the final score of the game? Almost 400 points were scored! 192-182 or so ethkng like that. This is almost two buckets every single minute for each team! Thus, the players obviously got together before the game and decided not to play a lick of defense. IOW..To allow scoring at will. Hey...Defense is half the game. Some coaches think it more important than offense. Even the absurd NFL all-star game had a modicum of defense.

So yes...Incentive! Home court advantage would be a start. Maybe even something more? I will have to think about what it might be.

The NBA is dying to older fans. I know very few guys over 40 who watch it. If it keeps going the way it has for the past several years, soon it will be as much dominated by the under 30 fanboy demographic for fans as are video games and super hero movies.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 PM

151 posts, read 193,850 times
This years game was an absolute joke; just horrible. Back in the day, the first 3 quarters would be a little competitive and the final being full blown competitive action, giving the audience what they wanted in seeing all-stars battling it out one on one in some fashion. The only exception would be no easy dunks (meaning guys just didn't let you walk in the painted area for an easy dunk). I would've loved to see Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving go at it for a play or two or even Giannis Antetokounmpo (long ass name) and Anthony Davis go at it.

I did like the fact that the hometown player did win the MVP award but I have to question it since there wasn't any defense played. If Cube's Big3 summer league played in the winter, I seriously think we would be seeing the last days of the nba.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Meh, it's mostly for kids and the international circuit. No reason not to still have it every year, even if most hardcore bball fans skip it.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
In my opinion if you're a real basketball fan then you'll watch every game you possibly can and will relish in the fact that there's an extra game, regardless of its style, to watch.

What I like about the All-Star Game is that you can see several of the leagues top players take the court with each other and against each other. You don't really get to see that during the regular season or postseason, when you know, star players are each bound to their respective teams.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
That is because there is some "meaning" to it, or something on the line. The allstar game in baseball (up until this year) determined who got home field in the World Series.
More than that besides rotating out a hot pitcher baseball All Star and exhibition games are played at full speed. Most notably the Pete Rose collision at the plate two generations before home field advantage for a league begun. The basketball game looks like each side imitates the Harlem Globetrotters on offense and the Washington Generals on defense

Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 PM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
I don't understand all the hate for it. It's an exhibition games of the greatest basketball players in the NBA. Yes it's goofing off but how can you not love the alley oops, dunks, and fastbreaks. There is 0 pressure in this game so players can attempt the 'trick' shot or spectacular play. You would never see the Alley Oop of the backboard in a regular game unless it's a blowout and even then, it might result in a fight for showboating. You would never see jason william's elbow pass in a regular game.

Serious question...why would you want to see a 97-92 game with lockdown defense and pick and rolls for 48 minutes over highlight reel plays nonstop? and I think there is at least some meaning to the game...i believe the winning side gets more money

Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I don't understand all the hate for it. It's an exhibition games of the greatest basketball players in the NBA. Yes it's goofing off but how can you not love the alley oops, dunks, and fastbreaks. There is 0 pressure in this game so players can attempt the 'trick' shot or spectacular play. You would never see the Alley Oop of the backboard in a regular game unless it's a blowout and even then, it might result in a fight for showboating. You would never see jason william's elbow pass in a regular game.

Serious question...why would you want to see a 97-92 game with lockdown defense and pick and rolls for 48 minutes over highlight reel plays nonstop? and I think there is at least some meaning to the game...i believe the winning side gets more money
Why not just let the players play around and do trick shots for a few hours? How about a HORSE touramant? Maybe they can give them mics so we can hear how they talk to each other. Might even hear someone like Kyrie walk up to Curry and say "let's play a little one on one". I'd watch that.

Some people just can't get into a actual game where there's not even the faintest hint of competition. It's like playing Monopoly and just allowing everyone to grab cash whenever they want. Pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball