Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
surely you got something better to complain about. the pac12 have no legit shot at anything but losing early.

the acc is where the muscle is
the zags getting a #1 is what is suspect.

Of the potential teams for a 1 seed (Gonzaga, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, North Carolina, Kentucky, Villanova, Kansas) only 3 of those teams (Gonzaga, Kentucky, Villanova) were outright regular season champions that won the conference tournament and a 4th (Arizona) finished tied for the regular season championship and than won the conference tournament. So, by that metric alone they should have been a 1 seed. They also had the fewest losses and the highest winning percentage of any of the 68 teams in the field.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Louisville got a tough draw against a surging Michigan 7 seed. Cincinnati is a very dangerous 6 seed that only lost 4 times all year. Wichita State as a 10 seed is a complete joke and a disservice to their opponents, Dayton and probably Kentucky in round 2.

This year elite teams haven't been as Elite. I'm going with mostly non 1 seeds for my Final Four: North Carolina, Arizona, Florida, Michigan.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville got a tough draw against a surging Michigan 7 seed. Cincinnati is a very dangerous 6 seed that only lost 4 times all year. Wichita State as a 10 seed is a complete joke and a disservice to their opponents, Dayton and probably Kentucky in round 2.

This year elite teams haven't been as Elite. I'm going with mostly non 1 seeds for my Final Four: North Carolina, Arizona, Florida, Michigan.
I have dook squeaking by Arizona in the elite 8....I'd be more than happy to be wrong though!

And yes on my bracket it is spelled "dook"

Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have dook squeaking by Arizona in the elite 8....I'd be more than happy to be wrong though!

And yes on my bracket it is spelled "dook"
"Dook" isn't in the same region.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:06 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Doesn't really matter what the middle or bottom of the conference does. I guess you could argue USC and Cal are decent, but I won't go there, doesn't matter. Louisville has a chance I suppose, but I'm skeptical. I don't believe in ND, and FSU has been somewhat of a train wreck lately.
FSU has beat Minnesota, Florida, Virginia, VT x2, Duke, ND, Louisville and Miami x2. Id say their resume is better than any Pac12 team.

And it does matter what the middle and bottom of the conference does - if those teams are good, the top teams in the conference have a much higher chance of racking up losses. Other than maybe BC or Pitt, there were no easy wins in the ACC this year. Therefore you have a Duke at 27-8 instead of say 31-4 (#1 seed)....or Virginia at 22-10 instead of 26-6 (1 or 2 seed). If you look at kenpom, the Pac12 doesn't have a single team ranked in the top 15 - the ACC has 4 (Virginia, UNC, Duke, Louisville).

Old 03-13-2017, 12:17 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
FSU has beat Minnesota, Florida, Virginia, VT x2, Duke, ND, Louisville and Miami x2. Id say their resume is better than any Pac12 team.

And it does matter what the middle and bottom of the conference does - if those teams are good, the top teams in the conference have a much higher chance of racking up losses. Other than maybe BC or Pitt, there were no easy wins in the ACC this year. Therefore you have a Duke at 27-8 instead of say 31-4 (#1 seed)....or Virginia at 22-10 instead of 26-6 (1 or 2 seed). If you look at kenpom, the Pac12 doesn't have a single team ranked in the top 15 - the ACC has 4 (Virginia, UNC, Duke, Louisville).
Ken Pom rankings may not do Zona justice.

Zona, could easily be rated higher. Trier is back. They have half their loses without him. They have 9-1 road record and maybe one of the best offenses in all of college basketball.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
FSU was great, then they lost to GT, Syracuse, ND, and Pitt (all unranked at the time). They have fallen apart. When top teams were getting upset a month or two ago, FSU was usually involved.

It really doesn't matter. It's a little like the NBA. The western conference may be better than the east as a whole, but how many teams have a legitimate shot to beat Cleveland in the finals? 1 or 2.

If you're trying to convince me FSU would beat Arizona or Oregon, I won't believe it til I see it.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Ken Pom rankings may not do Zona justice.

Zona, could easily be rated higher. Trier is back. They have half their loses without him. They have 9-1 road record and maybe one of the best offenses in all of college basketball.
I've watched some of their games this year, and they are really good. I'm impressed. I remember watching Ohio State's run to the final 4 a few years ago, and it was mostly Aaron Craft playing great defense and a boring slow game. Zona is extremely athletic this year. They'll also have a HUGE homecourt advantage if they can get by FSU and Gonzaga.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
"Dook" isn't in the same region.
Don't know why I said elite 8....definitely meant final 4. Arizona does win at not having DST to mess with them that Monday morning!

Old 03-13-2017, 12:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Kentucky is peaking at the right time. Defense is much better than it was even a month ago. De'Aaron Fox has fully recovered from his injuries and was virtually unguardable at the SEC tournament. Upperclassmen are also playing a significant role now. I'm looking forward to a potential revenge game against UCLA in the Sweet 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball