Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 09:01 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Biggest Disappointment
Cleveland Cavaliers
They brought back the same team that beat the Warriors and added even more pieces and have won 51 games and fighting to not be in 2nd or 3rd place.

New York Knicks
Mark it up for another year of irrelevance for them

Biggest Suprise Team
OKC Thunder
Thought they would barley win 35 games with Durant gone

Miami Heat
Honestly thought they would win 20 games.

Biggest Suprise Players
Russel Westbrook/James Harden/Isiah Thomas: Stats speak for itself

Biggest Suprise Coach Good
Eric SpoelstraBiggest Suprise Coach Bad
Half of the Eastern Conferences Coaches

Biggest Annoyance
Star Players making the most they ever have in the history of the game taking a day off for restmid-season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:20 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
I agree about Spo. When the big 3 got together, a lot of people said he was a garbage coach just riding on Lebron's coat tails. "Lebron has never had a good coach" was the argument. Now we can see that he does have some coaching skill.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Biggest Disappointment
Cleveland Cavaliers
They brought back the same team that beat the Warriors and added even more pieces and have won 51 games and fighting to not be in 2nd or 3rd place.

New York Knicks

Biggest Suprise Team
OKC Thunder

Miami Heat

Biggest Suprise Players

Biggest Annoyance
Star Players making the most they ever have in the history of the game taking a day off for restmid-season.
Good post.

1. Knicks weren't a surprise though.
2. Lakers hot start and then major cool-off.
3. Celtics - nuff said
4. Harden's maturation, guys changing their spots at that stage of their career is a big deal.
5. Cavs clearly coasted through the season knowing they have a free pass to the finals. Their only goal this year is to repeat.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM

93 posts, read 90,703 times
O/T but waiting until an end of June to announce regular season MVP is a big disappointment. The industry around the NBA has milked the horse race, created urgency. This switch takes away from the honor in a very competitive year. A televised sports banquet a la high school isn't happening. Bet they'll do a red carpet & hype it like the Oscars. IMO sports have enough soap opera elements--no need for awards shows.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino4401 View Post
O/T but waiting until an end of June to announce regular season MVP is a big disappointment. The industry around the NBA has milked the horse race, created urgency. This switch takes away from the honor in a very competitive year. A televised sports banquet a la high school isn't happening. Bet they'll do a red carpet & hype it like the Oscars. IMO sports have enough soap opera elements--no need for awards shows.
I totally agree. Westbrook vs Harden has been the storyline as the season concluded. By the time the Finals end people really won't care anymore. If playoff performance was being considered for the awards being given out then I would understand. But the media votes are due in this Friday. Yet we will wait two and a half months to find out the results.

Plus, this devalues the regular season MVP award.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I totally agree. Westbrook vs Harden has been the storyline as the season concluded. By the time the Finals end people really won't care anymore. If playoff performance was being considered for the awards being given out then I would understand. But the media votes are due in this Friday. Yet we will wait two and a half months to find out the results.

Plus, this devalues the regular season MVP award.

Whoever loses the Thunder/Rockets series, that player will be all but forgotten about when the MVP is finally announced 2 months later. Ridiculous! If you're going to wait that long, why not factor in playoff performance??

Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Great posts.

I'd love for them to give a 5-day break after the regular season ends before the playoffs start and throw in ALL the awards then.

Great way to cap the season and tee up the playoffs.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
There were a few surprises for me this year, though some of the bigger events I expected (like Westbrook having a monster year). I didn't expect the Rockets to be this good, nor the Blazers this bad. I figured the Knicks were overhyped as always, but expected them to at least make the playoffs. I also expected the Celtics to improve, but not to this extent (very happy with their progression).
Everything else has gone pretty much as expected, including the Thunder returning to the postseason, because they still had a good group of players even with the gaping hole left by Durant. Reading this thread, it seems the biggest surprise should be the ascension of the Rockets and the bottoming-out of the Mavs.

Last edited by Natural510; 04-13-2017 at 10:45 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 03:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Biggest Disappointment
Cleveland Cavaliers

New York Knicks

Biggest Suprise Team
OKC Thunder

Miami Heat

Biggest Suprise Players

Biggest Annoyance
Disappointment?
-The end of the Boogie era in Sacramento. There never was a player and a franchise more perfectly matched in hell.

Surprise Team
-Boston--I thought they would be good, but I didn't expect them to leapfrog the East.

Surprise Player
-James Harden--because he's trying to play on defense
-Karl Anthony-Towns--who looks like an absolute star
-Vince Carter--still a useful player at 40?
-Javale McGee--from Shaqtin' a fool on his way out of the league to 8 figures? Amazing what playing with the best team in the NBA will do for you.

Surprise Coach
-David Fizdale--some real positive developments in Memphis, including an embrace of the 3 & using Z-Bo as a 6th man. This is a franchise that looks promising in a way they haven't for several years.

Annoyance
-Russell Westbrook stat-chasing and not trying to make his team better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball