Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Let's say you put peak Jordan on a team around .500 and play him at PG for the entire season.

With the spacing into today's NBA, lack of dominant post bigs, amount of 3pt shots creating long rebound opportunities and Jordan's size/athleticism, I don't think he'd have a problem getting 10 rebounds.

I also don't see him having a problem averaging ~4 more assist if he constantly has the ball in his hands.

Jordan started 24 games at PG in '89 and averaged 30.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 10.7 apg, 2.7 spg. I'm guessing he also shot 50%+ from the field.

I think he'd easily average a triple double today...especially if he was chasing the mark every night like some of today's players. Perhaps something like 34/12/12/52%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 PM

120 posts, read 96,556 times
defintely russell westbrook reminds me off in terms atheletism

Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
defintely russell westbrook reminds me off in terms atheletism
I agree, he's a freak athlete like Jordan up to his late 20s. If Westbrook had Jordan's efficienctcy/control, there would be no questions about who's the best player on the planet.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
No because Jordan was a committed defender. A big reason why Westbrook gets so many rebounds is because he doesn't contest many shots.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Wow Jordan was that close for averaging a triple double over that time? Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure if other guys pushed for it too they could've gotten it done like Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Lebron, etc. Wilt came pretty close actually and who knows with blocks with him and Russell.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:16 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Bump for 2024. I would say Jordan would average Luka like levels of boards and assists in today's game. So, yes, more of a triple double threat on a nightly basis but not someone is likely to average it for a season because, like Luka, his main focus is scoring (and yeah, he would average 35+ easily)

Old 01-31-2024, 10:06 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Bump for 2024. I would say Jordan would average Luka like levels of boards and assists in today's game. So, yes, more of a triple double threat on a nightly basis but not someone is likely to average it for a season because, like Luka, his main focus is scoring (and yeah, he would average 35+ easily)
His best all round season was 32-8-8. For the assists and rebounds, those were career highs that he never came close to touching at any other point in his career. He was more naturally a 30-6-5 player. So could he average a triple double? sure, but it would be something really forced, he would get the 10 assists but probably have high turnover averages, and to be a high rebounding guard, it would mean sacrificing his top quality defense to chase boards. In other words, he would have to be like Westbrook during his OKC days, sacrificing the team success to gain individual stats.

Luka is certainly a better option for the triple double since he's already a great scorer and excellent passer. The rebounding could be achieved but I think unlikely because that is where his lack of focus on his weight really lets him down. Rebounding is hard, physical work. I dont think he has enough to do that and everything else he does at his current fitness level.

The best option is Jokic. Great scorer and rebounder already, and the offense runs through him so the assists can be had if he wants it, but like was mentioned on another thread, it's just not his focus.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:56 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
His best all round season was 32-8-8. For the assists and rebounds, those were career highs that he never came close to touching at any other point in his career. He was more naturally a 30-6-5 player. So could he average a triple double? sure, but it would be something really forced, he would get the 10 assists but probably have high turnover averages, and to be a high rebounding guard, it would mean sacrificing his top quality defense to chase boards. In other words, he would have to be like Westbrook during his OKC days, sacrificing the team success to gain individual stats.

Luka is certainly a better option for the triple double since he's already a great scorer and excellent passer. The rebounding could be achieved but I think unlikely because that is where his lack of focus on his weight really lets him down. Rebounding is hard, physical work. I dont think he has enough to do that and everything else he does at his current fitness level.

The best option is Jokic. Great scorer and rebounder already, and the offense runs through him so the assists can be had if he wants it, but like was mentioned on another thread, it's just not his focus.
What year did he have that average? Early in his career, when he was a gunner, he could have came close to that achievement. After a while, he got tired of losing to the Celtics, Sixers, Pistons, Lakers, etc. The elite of the 80's so he stopped focusing on stats and tried to make good basketball plays. He could bucket 30+ every game in his sleep. The rebounding would have taken a toll on his body. Also, he wanted management to get the players he wanted so he could win.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:16 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Jordan's rebounds go up naturally because teams play smaller now and at 6-6 with that leaping ability, he would be needed to grab more. I'll also add that "grab and go" has become a common NBA tactic to try and free up easy 3-pointers in transition. Jordan would excel at this.

His assists would naturally go up because, well, scorers are really lax these days in handing them out. I would estimate at least 2 of Jokic's assists per game (especially at home) are questionable scorer decisions that involve 2 dribbles and some skating, step backs and additional moves. I'll add the end of the illegal defense rules would make double teaming him easier, probably forcing some more passes.

I'll add that the "triple double" is a trendy stat line to pull off, guys chase it. Jordan was about winning, but also made sure to feed himself along the way, so desire on his end would have a lot to do with it too.

Luka is pretty steady at about 8.5 boards and assists over his career to date, which may be more than Jordan would average looking at some advanced stats like rebound and assist percents, but 35/8/7 doesn't seem nuts to me in an era where stat stuffing is what stars do.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:41 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
No. MJ is a just scorer but he's par excellance on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball