Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ideal point guard for the Spurs from the free agent market this year?
Chris Paul 1 50.00%
George Hill 1 50.00%
Jrue Holiday 0 0%
Jeff Teague 0 0%
Other (Name it) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

A question for San Antonio Spurs fans: Free Agent Targets - Jrue Holiday, George Hill, Jeff Teague, or Chris Paul

I'm not a San Antonio Spurs fan (Lakers fan), though like everyone else out there I admire the team and the success and culture they are able to foster. I also like that they're a soft spoken team, largely just go out there and compete to the best of their abilities.

That being said, I am a fan of the NBA and can't help but notice that the production that the Spurs get from their backcourt is downright anemic. Their frontcourt and bench production has to carry the entire team for the entire season and that will be a huge issue in the playoffs. The reason I think the Spurs can't compete with the Warriors is because they don't have a good enough backcourt to do any damage. Especially at point guard. Tony Parker is a few steps slow now and Danny Green, while a good defender, isn't the same Danny Green he was in 2013 offensively.

There are some free agents this year like Jeff Teague, George Hill, Jrue Holiday, and Chris Paul that play the point guard position. Chris Paul will likely resign with the Clippers but it is thought of that if there were a team he'd take calls from, it would be the Spurs according to insiders.

So as Spurs fans, which of these guys would you like to see as the team's floor general if San Antonio goes after a point guard on the free agent market? (They will, no way they leave the backcourt as a liability going forward the way it is right now). They'll have to shed some salary to make it all work and that will be interesting to see play out but if you had a choice in these guys or others (not named in this thread), who would you like to see in Spurs uniform next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 05:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
I don't see the spurs having the money to go after any of them.
Any of them would be an upgrade over Parker at this point though.

The only way anything like any of these happens is if Parker is traded, that's not going to happen.
Paul is going to opt in, manu will likely come back again, mills, Simmons, and dedmon will all get raises or leave. Lee may opt in.

George hill I believe is a priority to Utah
Teague will get interest but resign
Holiday may be the most sought after pg available so he will get paid
And Chris Paul isn't leaving LA.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Why don't they just move up Patty Mills and find their next point guard from the American Samoan Islands? Their foreign outreach program has done well for them.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why don't they just move up Patty Mills and find their next point guard from the American Samoan Islands? Their foreign outreach program has done well for them.
Honestly I'd be surprised if patty is a spur next years. He's gonna get paid more than the spurs can afford I think.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Gotta admit the Spurs are second to none in terms of talent development.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 PM

120 posts, read 96,578 times
In today's league spurs old school way isn't working point guards like parker or what spurs do isnt enough to win.Point guards are suppose to be putting big numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball