Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Clippers hit their ceiling 2 or 3 years ago with this core. They need change, but it's going to be a difficult process to go from where they are to where they need to get with most of their core unrestricted free agents this offseason.

Rockets-Spurs will be a great series, and I think either team could come out of it the winner.

It's funny, the Thunder have been at their best this series when Westbrook is taking (relatively) fewer shots. He's capable of being a better player for his team, but you can't just turn that on for the playoffs. He's spent most of the regular season putting up big numbers for himself and teaching his teammates to support an inefficient game. The Thunder have enough talent that they got to the playoffs with that style, but they would be much better if Westbrook committed to a more team-centric approach on both ends of the court.

Two things you should watch during Thunder games: 1) on offense, watch how many half-court possessions involve no movement off the ball--you basically have four players just standing around, 2) on defense, watch how many possessions Westbrook is in no man's land, offering no help defense or guarding a player off ball--this lack of positioning has created a lot of easy rebounds for Westbrook, but are hugely negative for the team's defensive performance.

He seems to think it does. Ever since he came back from the surgery, there have been times when you could see him react to headaches & pain on the sidelines. I hope he improves (for the sake of his own health and quality of life) and that he can return to coaching. I think he could be one of the greats.

Part of the problem for the Spurs (it's one shared by the Warriors and Celtics) is that officials allow much more physical defense, especially off ball, during the playoffs. This really disrupts the rhythm of motion offenses--especially against a team like the Grizzlies that are ready to turn up the physicality. I think the best remedy is a healthy dose of pick and roll. The Spurs have the personnel to give the Grizzlies fits with the pick and roll. Get Gasol out of the lane and make the Grizzlies pay for helping off of perimeter shooters.

The Warriors big three is Curry/Durant/Draymond. If the Warriors get out of the West, I think the Cavs have a chance, but will likely be a lesser opponent than the WCF. There are three great teams in the West, and the Cavs have not shown that they belong in that company this year.

This is exactly the problem. This team underachieves its talent because Westbrook plays this way.

The best player on offense in the playoffs thus far has been John Wall or James Harden. The best player on defense has been Draymond Green. Lebron's been great. But neither the best on offense nor the best on defense.

The Pacers were not a good team this year. Their role players last year were a better fit around Paul George. Al Jefferson would have been helpful for them against the Cavs, but not enough.
Lebron's per stat line...3rd in Points (32.8) 4th in assists (9), 7th in Rebounds, 7th in blocks, 1st in steals. He's shooting 54% FG, 45% from 3 I think that covers every major category. Being open and honest here, he had 8 Turnovers in Game 3. Mainly responsible for shutting down Paul George in Game 4. Led his team to a 4-0 sweep.

I looked up Harden- not even close. You can see for yourself. Up 3-1.
John Wall shooting at a slightly better clip but far fewer attempts, but he averages one more assist a game. Strictly speaking by the numbers he's closer to Lebron. Series in Question.

Draymond gets the block category, is he D'ing up Paul George?

Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Lebron's per stat line...3rd in Points (32.8) 4th in assists (9), 7th in Rebounds, 7th in blocks, 1st in steals. He's shooting 54% FG, 45% from 3 I think that covers every major category. Being open and honest here, he had 8 Turnovers in Game 3. Mainly responsible for shutting down Paul George in Game 4. Led his team to a 4-0 sweep.

John Wall shooting at a slightly better clip but far fewer attempts, but he averages one more assist a game. Strictly speaking by the numbers he's closer to Lebron. Series in Question.

Lebron seems to be a very polarizing figure. I was watching a clip today from Skip and Shannon, and Skip somehow found a way to take a jab at Lebron when explaining why the MVP should be Westbrook instead of Harden. Lebron had nothing to do with that conversation.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Lebron seems to be a very polarizing figure. I was watching a clip today from Skip and Shannon, and Skip somehow found a way to take a jab at Lebron when explaining why the MVP should be Westbrook instead of Harden. Lebron had nothing to do with that conversation.
Sports talk idiots always try to stir the pot and Lebron is the most famous player in the league soooo, he gets drug into everything. It's not like Skip Brainless is going to take a jab at some Orlando 8th man.

Lebron is wayyyy less polarizing now after coming back to Cleveland and winning a championship.

P.S. Even MJ used to be "polarizing" during his career until he started racking up championships. The Bird and Magic fans in particular.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:27 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:

The Pacers were not a good team this year. Their role players last year were a better fit around Paul George. Al Jefferson would have been helpful for them against the Cavs, but not enough.
You think the change in coaching had anything to do with it? Frank Vogel must be somewhere smiling to himself after getting fired for no reason other than Bird's boredom.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

Lebron is playing well. He is playing against a mediocre Indiana team.

Offense:
Wall is putting up ungodly numbers against a very good defensive team in the Hawks (NBA's 4th best defense). The simple per game numbers look great--31 pts & 10 assists. The Advanced numbers are almost unbelievable: 132 ORtg on 30.9% usage with .668 TS%.

For comparison, Lebron's advanced numbers are a still-stellar 119 ORtg on 32.4% usage with .602 TS%. His simple averages are comparable, 32.8 pts & 9 assists, but he's playing almost 7 minutes more per game and playing less efficiently (still incredibly efficient, just comparatively less).

Harden's simple numbers are also great, at 33 pts & 7.8 assists. His advanced numbers, too, are stellar: 117 ORtg on 37.2%(!) usage with a .619 TS%. Harden is generating fantastic production matched up against Andre Roberson, a steller defender (and an anchor of the NBA's 10th best defense).

I'm probably undercounting Kawhi Leonard's offense, which has been fantastic and he probably belongs in this discussion.

Defense:
Indiana put up much better offensive numbers in that 4-0 series than they put up during the NBA season. They went from a middle of the pack 108.6 ORtg during the season to a 115.5(!) against the Cavs. 115.5 would have been just a hair behind the Warriors for the NBA's #2 offense during the season. So I do not credit the Cavs with a good defensive performance, and I don't credit Lebron with being a defensive monster. Blocks and steals don't say a lot about good defense. Lebron was the Cavs' best defender . . . but that's not saying much. Lebron is putting up a mediocre 107 DRtg against a mediocre NBA offense.

Draymond has been a defensive monster against a dangerous Portland offense. Portland was the 11th-ranked offense in the NBA (ORtg). Draymond has an outstanding 90 DRtg while playing almost 36 minutes per game (he also has a great 127 ORtg, but a relatively low usage of 13.3%--and I could explain why I would put an asterisk next to Draymond's offensive numbers, but this is not really the place for it). His simple defensive numbers are still insane, with 2 steals and 4.7 blocks per game. Yet those numbers still don't capture his defensive performance. The Warriors are holding the Blazers to an abysmal 98.2 ORtg (which would be league worst by a mile in the regular season--even the league-worst 76ers managed 103.2) and Draymond is the floor general on defense. Between help defense, one-on-one stops, rebounding, and switching, Draymond is disrupting NBA offense in ways we haven't really seen before.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Kerr may be out for rest of post season.

Someone at work was saying it might be cancer but I never heard of that rumor.

I know he had a failed back surgery or something last year and leaking spinal fluid.
As far as I know - spinal fluid drip is causing nausea and headaches.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:04 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
The Clippers hit their ceiling 2 or 3 years ago with this core. They need change, but it's going to be a difficult process to go from where they are to where they need to get with most of their core unrestricted free agents this offseason.

Rockets-Spurs will be a great series, and I think either team could come out of it the winner.

It's funny, the Thunder have been at their best this series when Westbrook is taking (relatively) fewer shots. He's capable of being a better player for his team, but you can't just turn that on for the playoffs. He's spent most of the regular season putting up big numbers for himself and teaching his teammates to support an inefficient game. The Thunder have enough talent that they got to the playoffs with that style, but they would be much better if Westbrook committed to a more team-centric approach on both ends of the court.

Two things you should watch during Thunder games: 1) on offense, watch how many half-court possessions involve no movement off the ball--you basically have four players just standing around, 2) on defense, watch how many possessions Westbrook is in no man's land, offering no help defense or guarding a player off ball--this lack of positioning has created a lot of easy rebounds for Westbrook, but are hugely negative for the team's defensive performance.

He seems to think it does. Ever since he came back from the surgery, there have been times when you could see him react to headaches & pain on the sidelines. I hope he improves (for the sake of his own health and quality of life) and that he can return to coaching. I think he could be one of the greats.

Part of the problem for the Spurs (it's one shared by the Warriors and Celtics) is that officials allow much more physical defense, especially off ball, during the playoffs. This really disrupts the rhythm of motion offenses--especially against a team like the Grizzlies that are ready to turn up the physicality. I think the best remedy is a healthy dose of pick and roll. The Spurs have the personnel to give the Grizzlies fits with the pick and roll. Get Gasol out of the lane and make the Grizzlies pay for helping off of perimeter shooters.

The Warriors big three is Curry/Durant/Draymond. If the Warriors get out of the West, I think the Cavs have a chance, but will likely be a lesser opponent than the WCF. There are three great teams in the West, and the Cavs have not shown that they belong in that company this year.

This is exactly the problem. This team underachieves its talent because Westbrook plays this way.

The best player on offense in the playoffs thus far has been John Wall or James Harden. The best player on defense has been Draymond Green. Lebron's been great. But neither the best on offense nor the best on defense.

People here will remember I have long criticized the Clippers and the way they've been built. That team has to blow it up now; there is no real justification in keeping that squad together. At their best, they were never a true championship contender, never earning above a 3 seed. The problems have been many, I think it is fair to point out they've had unlucky timing with injuries, but also some issues that have never gotten enough burn:

Doc Rivers is a poor GM and one of the most overrated coaches in NBA history. I don't know how you continue with him running basketball operations beyond this season, and personally, I'd take a long consideration at firing him altogether. He has routinely been outcoached and outclassed, particularly in the postseason, and his roster building has been horrendous...

Chris Paul is one of the more overrated players of his generation. What is the excuse for a player with HOF-talent and supposed HOF-leadership being 12 years in without a single appearance in a conference final? What is missing? While his basketball talent and brain likely make him the greatest point of his era, his leadership has been grossly overrated. I've seen him wilt in the biggest moments. If he cares anything about winning a ring he will opt out of LA and go to a team better positioned to win a championship. All indications seem to point otherwise, however, and that he'll stay in LA, so he's basically just Carmelo Anthony...

Blake Griffin was never suited to be the #1 option. That Rivers tried to force that for so long, instead of realizing how to better utilize him, is beyond me. If I'm Blake, I'd be ready to go. They have to tear this team down, now...

Old 04-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You think the change in coaching had anything to do with it? Frank Vogel must be somewhere smiling to himself after getting fired for no reason other than Bird's boredom.
I don't think McMillan's a bad coach (I do think Vogel was a good one). I think the problem for Indiana is team composition more than anything. Paul George does so much ball handling that he deserves a point guard who is a deadly shooter and a good defender. George Hill was a better fit than Jeff Teague. Teague's a good player, but he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Hill was a 3Pt threat and is a better shooter than Teague.

I think the traditional 4/5 look with Myles Turner and Thaddeus Young hurts the team defense--those two just don't have the quickness to switch on picks and they can't cover ground like smaller players. The Pacers were an elite defense last year, and they did it by defending the 3 and generating turnovers. They played smaller lineups, with C.J. Miles & Paul George often the 3 & 4. Last year the Pacers also played Monta Ellis somewhat more at PG than this year, which makes him a less of a defensive liability.

I like Thaddeus Young as a player (in the right situation). But I don't think the Pacers are the right situation.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
People here will remember I have long criticized the Clippers and the way they've been built. That team has to blow it up now; there is no real justification in keeping that squad together. At their best, they were never a true championship contender, never earning above a 3 seed. The problems have been many, I think it is fair to point out they've had unlucky timing with injuries, but also some issues that have never gotten enough burn:

Doc Rivers is a poor GM and one of the most overrated coaches in NBA history. I don't know how you continue with him running basketball operations beyond this season, and personally, I'd take a long consideration at firing him altogether. He has routinely been outcoached and outclassed, particularly in the postseason, and his roster building has been horrendous...

Chris Paul is one of the more overrated players of his generation. What is the excuse for a player with HOF-talent and supposed HOF-leadership being 12 years in without a single appearance in a conference final? What is missing? While his basketball talent and brain likely make him the greatest point of his era, his leadership has been grossly overrated. I've seen him wilt in the biggest moments. If he cares anything about winning a ring he will opt out of LA and go to a team better positioned to win a championship. All indications seem to point otherwise, however, and that he'll stay in LA, so he's basically just Carmelo Anthony...

Blake Griffin was never suited to be the #1 option. That Rivers tried to force that for so long, instead of realizing how to better utilize him, is beyond me. If I'm Blake, I'd be ready to go. They have to tear this team down, now...
I agree with you on Doc Rivers. His Celtics had a phenomenal roster and a pair of defensive geniuses on staff (Tom Thibodeau & Kevin Garnett--who also happened to be on the floor).

Imagine how different NBA history would be if the NBA hadn't nixed the Chris Paul -> Lakers trade. Instead, Paul has hung around the Clippers for a long time. An impressive talent, but a deeply flawed team. I think his best bet now would be to flee to San Antonio, Utah, Milwaukee, or Minnesota (if the numbers work out to keep the rosters relatively intact with him). I think the Bucks would have to move Dellavadova & Teletovic (but I would love to watch that squad). I think the Jazz would need to move Joe Johnson.

I'd like to see Griffin either: 1) play with a center in the mold of Serge Ibaka, who is a good defender and has shooting range, or 2) play small-ball center himself.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

The Clippers should have blown it up last summer. And they would be crazy to give Blake and Paul the extensions they are eligible for this summer. The rumor is Doc is mulling over a possible return to Orlando. Now would be a good time for him to make his exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball