Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
And this is why I like College Hoops better than the NBA. The NCAA Tournaments are way more exciting than the NBA Playoffs especially because of major upsets. Plus, in college it's all about passion and pride. In college it's also all about defense but in the NBA it's just one-on-one. For more info in why I like college better than NBA, see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/baske...ll-better.html
I agree that the NBA playoffs can't top the NCAA tourney. One game elimination is brutal, but that makes it fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
I used to follow the NBA in-depth, because somebody on another website followed every game and every player, and was able to determine the league's next breakout star. While there's a lot of talent in the league, the only real superstars to emerge this decade are Curry and the former Thunder core. The Anthony Davises, Paul Georges, Demarcus Cousins and other "ones to watch for" haven't developed into champion contenders.
And I'm tired of nearly 20 years of the non-competitive East. Watching NBA replays on Youtube is enough for me.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
I stopped watching completely. It's a watered down mess now-a-days. Some really bad ball is being played as well. That's always happened of course but it's worse now. Too many of the players don't seem to care one way or another, as long as they get paid. Again, that's always been there but now it's all about the money and who cares about the fans. Hard to watch product.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM

255 posts, read 414,881 times
NBA is far better than College Basketball in my honest opinion. I used to think that college was much better, using the stereotypical buzz words/phrases about the NBA like: "They don't play any defense", "College players play with more heart", "You only have to watch the 4th Quarter", etc etc.

I'm a college freshman, and I watched the NBA Christmas Day games like always, and the Cavs Warriors game convinced me to become an NBA addict. I watch as many games as I can now. And here are the reasons why I love the NBA and now I think college ball basically sucks until the tournament:

1. NBA has storylines that go on for many years. With the one and done phenomena, unless you are a rabid fan of one school, the teams have continuously changing rosters that strip away storylines from when players played 3-4 years, and even with 3-4 years, they'll be gone and you have more continuous change.

2. NBA has much better execution in all facets of the game. College players make far more basic mistakes, so by watching the NBA, you're getting to see the best of the best. NBA has defense, but the offensive execution is much better than in college.

3. Why would I watch some Indiana vs Michigan State game that will mean nothing in a couple years to the general populace when I can be watching Westbrook, LeBron, Durant, Curry, etc put up historical numbers? I don't want to miss history in front of my eyes at the highest level.

Yes, there are some players that don't seem to care enough to improve, Randy Foye and Jeff Green for example, but I find following the NBA much more stimulating. There are less teams to keep up with than college, making it easier to follow as well. I now am a fan of the Miami Heat because I fell in love with their never give up mentality during the 2nd half of this season.

I get the argument that the college fans make, but the NBA is far better in the majority of parts of basketball.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I used to follow the NBA in-depth, because somebody on another website followed every game and every player, and was able to determine the league's next breakout star. While there's a lot of talent in the league, the only real superstars to emerge this decade are Curry and the former Thunder core. The Anthony Davises, Paul Georges, Demarcus Cousins and other "ones to watch for" haven't developed into champion contenders.
And I'm tired of nearly 20 years of the non-competitive East. Watching NBA replays on Youtube is enough for me.
I've found my own interest declining over the last couple of years. Ironically, I think the league actually holds onto its "faces of the league" too long. I'm a Lakers fan and I was glad to see Kobe retire. I loved watching Tim in his heydey. But I grew tired of him the last few years as well. The thought of LeBron in another Finals actually makes me lose interest.

A big part is the change in the way the game is covered. The stars have become more than the faces of the league. They are the centers of all the story lines. Every sports show is a LeBron hater vs a LeBron fanboy. Five years ago it was Kobe. Either way a select few guys monopolize all of the coverage. After awhile the characters overshadow the game itself.

I think the young "stars" haven't made the impact people expected because the game has changed so much. Teams are following the Spurs model of five man motion and ball movement basketball. While that style makes all five players valuable, it actually minimizes individual dominance.

Finally, your point on the East is well taken. Jeez its bad!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
To be honest I've begun to lose interest in it myself. The talent IMO is just as not as good as it was 5-10 years ago. Too many one and done types are no where close to being NBA ready. The last mock draft I saw has 13 of the top 15 picks being freshmen. There's no way all of them are going to be stars. I see the D-League and overseas in some of their futures when an extra year or two college would have benefitted them in the long run.

I also can't stand the ridiculous numerous uniforms teams wear. The sleeved jersey is a failure and yet teams are still wearing them. Then there are the ugly throwbacks that should just stay in the past. 1 home, 1 away, and 1 alternate is more than enough.

I'll still watch, but once guys like LeBron, Durant, and Harden hang them up, I'm not sure I will stick around.
NBA talent is better than it was 10 years ago--much better. In addition to the current stars (many of whom have 5+ years of top echelon play ahead of them), there are many stars on the rise: Cousins & Davis, Smart, Towns & Wiggins, Prozingis, etc. Even when players had to stay in college, the top draft picks were not a sure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
And this is why I like College Hoops better than the NBA. The NCAA Tournaments are way more exciting than the NBA Playoffs especially because of major upsets. Plus, in college it's all about passion and pride. In college it's also all about defense but in the NBA it's just one-on-one. For more info in why I like college better than NBA, see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/baske...ll-better.html
NBA defense is so good. The Spurs, Warriors, and last year's Hawks turned basketball into the beautiful game with player & ball movement. Defense has new levels of complexity with switching and the 3 second rule, instead of illegal defense and ISO in the previous era. NBA players still have the passion of college players--they just have a lot more talent, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I stopped watching completely. It's a watered down mess now-a-days. Some really bad ball is being played as well. That's always happened of course but it's worse now. Too many of the players don't seem to care one way or another, as long as they get paid. Again, that's always been there but now it's all about the money and who cares about the fans. Hard to watch product.
There is glorious basketball being played in the NBA right now. You are missing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I've found my own interest declining over the last couple of years. Ironically, I think the league actually holds onto its "faces of the league" too long. I'm a Lakers fan and I was glad to see Kobe retire. I loved watching Tim in his heydey. But I grew tired of him the last few years as well. The thought of LeBron in another Finals actually makes me lose interest.

A big part is the change in the way the game is covered. The stars have become more than the faces of the league. They are the centers of all the story lines. Every sports show is a LeBron hater vs a LeBron fanboy. Five years ago it was Kobe. Either way a select few guys monopolize all of the coverage. After awhile the characters overshadow the game itself.

I think the young "stars" haven't made the impact people expected because the game has changed so much. Teams are following the Spurs model of five man motion and ball movement basketball. While that style makes all five players valuable, it actually minimizes individual dominance.

Motion and ball movement have made the basketball better, and made BBIQ a more important trait than physical talent. Teams have also gotten better at team defense in comparison to, for example, the 90s. The rule change was a catalyst, and you can see the effects now: watch the way a good defense moves during half court play. Ignore the ball & watch just the defenders. You will see that they are constantly shifting positions and moving almost as a single organism. The best defenses in the NBA are dictating the offenses' shot by controlling the space on the court--it is a marvel to watch.

It took a while for young stars to become dominant--they rarely are at ages like 23 & 24. Antetokoumpo is already looking beastly at the tender age of 22. Davis and Cousins have shown that the NBA will be in good hands in the future. John Wall is hitting his prime, as is Kawhi Leonard. Lillard and McCollum are definitely players to watch. Towns is already a handful to slow down.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM

290 posts, read 313,060 times
I played in high school and I enjoy the NBA because I can appreciate how talented the players are. Most college basketball teams have players that are average at best and that is boring to me. People talk as if it is exciting to see a college basketball team enter a tournament and we know at the beginning of the season that there are only 10 teams and by the end of the season 5 teams with a realistic chance to win it all. The college teams with the most future pros normally will be the team that will it all, I just take a shortcut and watch the pros.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
Quote:

It seems like the players aren't allowed to be personalities, like the 90s and earlier. That doesn't really matter to me, but I don't agree that stars represent the league like they used to. The nature of the CBA and the prevalence of analytics has removed must-see rivalries, "one-two punches," etc. Lebron will get his jersey retired and/or statue in Cleveland, because he was born in the state that he plays for, but team loyalty and other narratives of the past doesn't mix with the way the game is played or managed today.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Do you watch college hoops? I think you'll like it better. It seems like the NBA has turned into complete trash. That is why college basketball is far better than the NBA and it is far more the superior game. I like the NCAA Tournaments and as well as high school basketball tournaments way better the the NBA playoffs. And I think a lot of NBA fans would consider former commissioner David Stern to be the worst commissioner.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
True but the opposite of this is a lack of 'star appeal.' Hockey is almost devoid of any stars or villains to draw interest from casual fans. Baseball's lacking here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball