Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 AM

65 posts, read 79,409 times

Advertisements

Why do people not have common sense?Why would paul george go to lakers?why go to a WORSE team that didn't even make playoffs?Now if its money wise i understand,but winning championships or even going to playoffs its NOT gonna happen at lakers and they are much worse then indiana.

The other part is when KD was a free agency,now lets look at facts

he only had two teams he can go to either cavs or warriors,cause okc was 3rd best team in nba,why would he go any where elese?boston?wizards?come on those are worse teams then he was.

And their is stephen curry free agency rumors,why would he leave an all star team like warriors?

People need to think players want to win,unless its about money like melo then i can see them going to any team..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:19 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Most people who talk like this are casual NBA fans who don't follow team movements very closely or even know who is drafting well vs who just plain sucks, so you get a lot of people talking out their neck about what they don't know.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
I assume that part of it is that George possibly prefers LA as a city to Indianapolis and also thinks that the Lakers will have an easier time than the Pacers recruiting high-level free agents. I would agree that his first couple of years there would likely be frustrating, though a lot depends on how quickly (or if) Russell, Ingram and Ball (assuming they pick him at #2) develop.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
People like living in the sun and fun = LA

Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Why do people not have common sense?Why would paul george go to lakers?why go to a WORSE team that didn't even make playoffs?Now if its money wise i understand,but winning championships or even going to playoffs its NOT gonna happen at lakers and they are much worse then indiana.

he only had two teams he can go to either cavs or warriors,cause okc was 3rd best team in nba,why would he go any where elese?boston?wizards?come on those are worse teams then he was.

And their is stephen curry free agency rumors,why would he leave an all star team like warriors?

People need to think players want to win,unless its about money like melo then i can see them going to any team..
Re: Paul George--it's his hometown, and there will always be the mystique of the purple & gold. It will probably take time, but there are a lot of pieces there for a bright future. If things don't work out in New Orleans this year, maybe the Lakers try to bring in George & Cousins as Free Agents, adding to their stable of young, promising players? That would be fun.

Re: Curry--he's not leaving.

Re: KD--he made a call about winning and basketball. That's not the call every star makes.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
People like living in the sun and fun = LA
so thats why all the free agents went to LA the last decade. now i got it.

oh wait, no they didnt. they went to miami for a couple years, then left and went north. then some went to the bay area, and some even went down to texas.

#FreeAgentsLikeLAIsAMyth

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Why do people not have common sense?
One aspect of lacking common sense is assuming that everyone else's priorities should mirror your own.

Quote:
Why would paul george go to lakers?why go to a WORSE team that didn't even make playoffs?Now if its money wise i understand,but winning championships or even going to playoffs its NOT gonna happen at lakers and they are much worse then indiana.
And the hundreds - no, thousands - of free agents that have bolted from champions and champion-caliber teams over the decades because some mediocre or lousy team threw a lot of money after them should make it obvious that money is often a consideration.

And there are other considerations as well that take only a modicum of, well, common sense, to understand.

It should be no surprise that people prefer to live in certain places, like New York and California (among others). You know, there's a reason New York has more people than any other American city and that California have more people than any other American state. Far more people choose to live there. There's more to do, more options in just about every way. Some people want to live in the place they're from - their home. Others factor in weather. Some might want the challenge of building up a championship from the ground. Others might want to play where they'll be the franchise will be built around them. And other considerations.

Championships are a consideration. They're not the only consideration.

This all is, frankly, really obvious.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,528 times
Quote:

George probably wants to play closer to home and family. And as bad as the Lakers are look at it this way. In the East you either play on LeBron's team or you never have a shot of winning anyway. And there aren't many real contenders left anymore. In light of all of that why not go play near family if that really means something to you.

On KD, I agree. If he wanted to leave OKC and go to a contender there were only a few teams he could truly consider. Golden State, Cleveland, or San Antonio. The Spurs already had a top level player in his same position. Cleveland did as well. Not to mention the Cavs didn't have cap space. The Warriors had a role player in that position who just happened to be a free agent. Plus, they had the cap space. It made the most sense.

And Curry would be insane to leave. Lacob will pay him right. And as long as Bob Myers is running the front office they should continue to be force. Who leaves that situation? Well, Klay Thompson probably will. But that's another conversation.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

And Curry would be insane to leave. Lacob will pay him right. And as long as Bob Myers is running the front office they should continue to be force. Who leaves that situation? Well, Klay Thompson probably will. But that's another conversation.

I think you are correct on Klay Thompson. I haven't sat down and done the math or tried to project where the NBA's salary cap will be going over the next 3 or 4 seasons but it is tough to imagine a team being able to pay and keep 4 max players (Curry, Durant, Draymond Green & Klay Thompson). Keeping Curry & Durant will be a no-brainer, as they are the two top players on the team, so I think Golden State will end up having to decide between Draymond & Klay. I think they will choose to keep Draymond and will have to let Klay Thompson leave via free agency. That is unless some of the other players on the roster are willing to take less money to keep Klay around.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I think you are correct on Klay Thompson. I haven't sat down and done the math or tried to project where the NBA's salary cap will be going over the next 3 or 4 seasons but it is tough to imagine a team being able to pay and keep 4 max players (Curry, Durant, Draymond Green & Klay Thompson). Keeping Curry & Durant will be a no-brainer, as they are the two top players on the team, so I think Golden State will end up having to decide between Draymond & Klay. I think they will choose to keep Draymond and will have to let Klay Thompson leave via free agency. That is unless some of the other players on the roster are willing to take less money to keep Klay around.
They have Klay's Bird rights, and Iguodala is probably not going to be on the books in '19-20. Curry is getting a big pay raise. Durant will get a raise, too--though not nearly as big a jump.

The Cavs right now are paying James $32M, Love $21M, Irving $17M, Thompson $15M, Smith $12.8M, and Shumpert $9.7M (with the rest of the team, $127M in team salary).

The Warriors right now are paying Durant $26M, Klay $16M, Green $15M, Curry $12M, and Iguodala $11M. With the rest of the team, the Warriors are at $101M. Durant will get a little more next year ($30?). Curry will get a big jump, maybe up to $35M. Iguodala is tough to say. He could earn more elsewhere, but he might stick around for the fit and contention. Depending on the exact numbers for Curry and Durant, Iguodala might get 2 more years at a good salary number with the Warriors, with the roster filling out with young players and vets chasing rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball