Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Im going GS in 6. I think Durant is going to make a difference (obviously since he is KD), but I also think JaVale McGee is going to be an underrated factor as well--the second biggest reason why I think GS will win this series. I believe he is going to give the W's something they really have had in the past couple of seasons: A very, long, athletic big man that can catch lobs and block shots. I believe he will have more of an influence on the outcome than Pachulia, will make some key play and pick up his share of clutch rebounds.
I think if the Warriors are going to win Javale McGee has to protect the rim and rebound. I watched the Cavs enough to know how to beat them. You need size that can defend and rebound. Guys like Biyombo and Bogut gave the Cavs some problems.

You need a Lebron stopper or a gameplan to take away the paint (doubles) on Lebron drives. If you double you need to know where the cutters are- the Cavs offense thrive off of this. I've struggled to figure out how to deal with the Big 3, but they are routine in their ways. The Cavs like to get Love going early- so chances are Lebron will facilitate more at that point. But If Kyrie is hitting from the perimeter it opens up too much and Lebron can pick and choose at that point with his high BBall IQ.

You also need to resist the urge to get out in transition and run- this is where the Warriors need to be disciplined. You need to commit to the glass- going half @ssed and throwing a guy or two in the paint to duke it out with Thompson, Love and Lebron on the glass is no good. YOU CAN EXECUTE HALF COURT ON CLEVELAND and BE SUCCESSFUL. So you need to really be diligent in securing rebounds.

This is a Kyrie vs. Curry series, if someone has the advantage you are probably looking at the winner, but I also think Javale McGee needs to show up in a big way.

Cavs are deeper this year-while they miss a hustle guy like Delly they have a few options on the bench that can give them minutes and points on any given night. Lebron is playing better, Love is more confident. Kyrie has been a little more up and down (last year the last 20-30 games or so he was on a tear.) He was GREAT against Boston. Cavs had a little doubt last year- but this year its replaced with confidence. They won a Game 7 last year on this opponent's court- they will not be intimidated. The Cavs #1 struggle this year is respect- you play 100 games - a game in December means nothing- a game within a seven game series against an inferior foe means nothing- the Warriors present the challenge that every games means something. The effort and concentration has been bad. They have a team of vets they typically play sound basketball, but they've been plagued with sloppiness. The Warriors have their attention. I think Cavs fans are optimistic that the Cavs will show that next level throughout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:36 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
If the Cavs are going to win, they need to improve defensively, and against the pick-n-roll in particular. They have trouble in transition and with excessive ball movement, which is the Warriors' style.
Don't be fooled: The Cavs' defense hasn't improved and that spells doom against Golden State

Old 05-31-2017, 07:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If the Cavs are going to win, they need to improve defensively, and against the pick-n-roll in particular. They have trouble in transition and with excessive ball movement, which is the Warriors' style.
Don't be fooled: The Cavs' defense hasn't improved and that spells doom against Golden State
I agree--they will have to play better defense they have played pretty much all year.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
OK, but that hardly translates into a Cleveland win.

I don't see how they will overcome the addition of Durant, who in my mind is the toughest guy to stop in the league. And, very motivated to win it. Who will guard him?
There is no one who can effectively guard Durant. I think the Cavs would be smart to try to 'hide' Irving on him--let Durant get his and take the Warriors out of their offensive flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
If Kyrie continues his recent play who knows. I think this is a Kyrie vs Curry series in the guy with the upper hand their may bring his team a victory.

All Cavs fans hear are the mismatches that the Warriors create- those same mismatches exist on the other side

Checking Lebron? Kyrie and his ability to finish at the rim? Love stretching out? Spotting Thompson so he doesn't kill you on the glass.
The big difference is that the Warriors are full of two-way players, while the Cavs are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I expect to see a Cavs team that adjusts well and schemes up to the challenge. I'd pick the Cavs in 7, but my initial thought was that Game 7 in Oakland would be too intimidating to repeat...though I guess that discredits a psychological insecurity that could affect the Warriors, as they had Game 7 in their house last year and lost...

I personally think the Cavs will present a bigger threat to Golden State than people think. Again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Golden State win, but this series is gonna be more competitive than we realize. An astonishing amount if people are taking the Warriors in 4 or 5, and listen, on paper, they are that good. But hell, they were that much better on paper last year...
Last year the Warriors were a physically broken down team that still almost won it in spite of their starting 3 going ice cold from wide open 3 point range. I'll take the Warriors in 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think if the Warriors are going to win Javale McGee has to protect the rim and rebound. I watched the Cavs enough to know how to beat them. You need size that can defend and rebound. Guys like Biyombo and Bogut gave the Cavs some problems.

You need a Lebron stopper or a gameplan to take away the paint (doubles) on Lebron drives. If you double you need to know where the cutters are- the Cavs offense thrive off of this. I've struggled to figure out how to deal with the Big 3, but they are routine in their ways. The Cavs like to get Love going early- so chances are Lebron will facilitate more at that point. But If Kyrie is hitting from the perimeter it opens up too much and Lebron can pick and choose at that point with his high BBall IQ.

You also need to resist the urge to get out in transition and run- this is where the Warriors need to be disciplined. You need to commit to the glass- going half @ssed and throwing a guy or two in the paint to duke it out with Thompson, Love and Lebron on the glass is no good. YOU CAN EXECUTE HALF COURT ON CLEVELAND and BE SUCCESSFUL. So you need to really be diligent in securing rebounds.

This is a Kyrie vs. Curry series, if someone has the advantage you are probably looking at the winner, but I also think Javale McGee needs to show up in a big way.

Cavs are deeper this year-while they miss a hustle guy like Delly they have a few options on the bench that can give them minutes and points on any given night. Lebron is playing better, Love is more confident. Kyrie has been a little more up and down (last year the last 20-30 games or so he was on a tear.) He was GREAT against Boston. Cavs had a little doubt last year- but this year its replaced with confidence. They won a Game 7 last year on this opponent's court- they will not be intimidated. The Cavs #1 struggle this year is respect- you play 100 games - a game in December means nothing- a game within a seven game series against an inferior foe means nothing- the Warriors present the challenge that every games means something. The effort and concentration has been bad. They have a team of vets they typically play sound basketball, but they've been plagued with sloppiness. The Warriors have their attention. I think Cavs fans are optimistic that the Cavs will show that next level throughout.
The Warriors can't count on Javale as a rim protector. His role is to give the team 10-15 minutes of hustle and highlights a night. Pachulia adds another 20 minutes of solid rebounding and positional defense. The Warriors fill out the rest of the game with a small ball center--Draymond, Durant, or McAdoo.

There's no such thing as a Lebron stopper. The Warriors want to force Lebron into scoring on his own, especially from the perimeter and the post. The Warriors do need to get rebounds, but they want to get rebounds and run. Zaza & Draymond need to get bodies on Thompson when a shot goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is exactly right.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
https://twitter.com/theFRESHgods/sta...59704806735872

Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
There is no one who can effectively guard Durant. I think the Cavs would be smart to try to 'hide' Irving on him--let Durant get his and take the Warriors out of their offensive flow.

The big difference is that the Warriors are full of two-way players, while the Cavs are not.

Last year the Warriors were a physically broken down team that still almost won it in spite of their starting 3 going ice cold from wide open 3 point range. I'll take the Warriors in 5.

The Warriors can't count on Javale as a rim protector. His role is to give the team 10-15 minutes of hustle and highlights a night. Pachulia adds another 20 minutes of solid rebounding and positional defense. The Warriors fill out the rest of the game with a small ball center--Draymond, Durant, or McAdoo.

There's no such thing as a Lebron stopper. The Warriors want to force Lebron into scoring on his own, especially from the perimeter and the post. The Warriors do need to get rebounds, but they want to get rebounds and run. Zaza & Draymond need to get bodies on Thompson when a shot goes up.

This is exactly right.

This is easier said then done (getting out and running) when you have to commit the bodies on Lebron when he's getting in the paint and checking Thompson like you suggest. Its a different wrinkle that the Cavs throw out at the Warriors.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarzAddicts. View Post
For cavs to win it all Lebron needs to like score at least 45 points for most of tha series....
I think a better Lebron metric will be whether he gets 10+ assists and keeps turnovers low.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Light trivia Lebron's NBA Finals total stats...

35.8 points 13.3 rebounds 8.8 assists? Which year 2015? 2016?
29.7 points 11.3 Rebounds 8.9 assists? 2015? or 2016?

Is Lebron going to have to score the game winning bucket this year or is that Kyrie Irving's honor (again)???

Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thread will be a *sticky* for the next couple weeks.
Thank you good sir. I hope this become a series to tell the grand kids about. I dont know who I am rooting for yet. I went for GS in 2015 because I didnt think GS would ever be back to the finals. I went for CLE in 2016 because I wanted to see Cleveland finally get something.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
One hour to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball