Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 AM

3,391 posts, read 2,799,972 times

Advertisements

I just have a couple things...

Kyrie owes nothing to the organization and the fans of Cleveland, just as the organization and the Cavs fans owe nothing to Kyrie to send him to a destination of his choice.

To NY for Melo and protected picks- this is the joke of the century.
To SA for some role player- Ha.
To MN when Butler or Towns aren't involved.

You don't deal from a position of a weakness. Business 101. I would hold onto him, if becomes an intolerable baby I wait until the trade deadline. The drama would be better than the scrap heap of players being offered to the Cavs.

A 25 year old, multiyear All Star, 25PPG, friendly contract, locked up for the next couple years. If the only thing out there is Melo or Ricky Rubio or Patty Mills. I force him to be a Cav for another year- waste a year in Cleveland get spanked by the Celtics and send him to the Kings where he can win a scoring title the next season and win 35 games.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Just what I was thinking. Kyrie sees himself as being as good as Wall, Lillard and probably Derozan/Thomas - all considered the best players on playoff teams. Perhaps he can be a top-3 scorer and average 8-9 assist without Lebron controlling the offense?

Will Kyrie be better with his own team? Don't know, but I do think he'll always be considered outside the top 10 playing with Lebron.
He's slowly becoming the guy in Cleveland. He gets plenty of looks and opportunities. Its the NATIONAL MEDIA the plays on the Lebron hype.

Lebron is a facilitator Kyrie is a lethal scorer- they are perfect match. Now if Kyrie wants to prove he's more of the facilitator maybe his desire to seek other opportunities is valid.

I say worry less about the Facilitator role though...
I feel if he committed to the defensive end more and remained the lethal scorer that he is today- he's easily a top 10 talent.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
It seems like Kyrie has been around for a long time so people are forgetting he's only 25 and probably still approaching his prime. No way Cavs dump him for old man Melo and a pick. The only bad thing that happened here is making it public. Now the Cavs are in a bit of a worse position due to it getting out to the public. I don't see any situation where Kyrie could ever play again for the Cavs.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times
I don't see much of a deal worth it for Cleveland to make the trade. The Suns trade is fair, but Bledsoe is no Kyrie, and Booker is still an unproven raw talent. I've seen straight up Aldridge for Kyrie, which I still think is a poor trade for Cleveland. If you're going to make a trade under the pretenses that Lebron leaves next year, than try to make a Suns trade doable. If you are betting on another 1+1 deal from Lebron, than you really should maximize what you can get for Kyrie right now, and yet still compete for no less than the ECF. I don't think Cleveland is ready to fall back to mediocrity just yet.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I don't see much of a deal worth it for Cleveland to make the trade. The Suns trade is fair, but Bledsoe is no Kyrie, and Booker is still an unproven raw talent. I've seen straight up Aldridge for Kyrie, which I still think is a poor trade for Cleveland. If you're going to make a trade under the pretenses that Lebron leaves next year, than try to make a Suns trade doable. If you are betting on another 1+1 deal from Lebron, than you really should maximize what you can get for Kyrie right now, and yet still compete for no less than the ECF. I don't think Cleveland is ready to fall back to mediocrity just yet.
Bledsoe would be a better fit in Cleveland than Kyrie, IMHO. He offers two things the Cavs desperately need: defense & offensive distribution.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Bledsoe would be a better fit in Cleveland than Kyrie, IMHO. He offers two things the Cavs desperately need: defense & offensive distribution.
Assuming you make a deal before the season (not convinced they will), this is the most likely swap. Bledsoe and Lebron share an agent, James Jones recently took over a FO spot in Phoenix. The Trade deadline offers the opportunity for a bigger bidding war or gives the opportunity to possibly mend the fence.

I would hope the Cavs get back another player (the Suns have some good young talent Jackson, Chriss, Bender).

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is a game that's just hard to play. Before Lebron, Cleveland was going nowhere. After Lebron, Cleveland was going nowhere. Lebron comes back and they're in the Finals the next 3 years and they get a chip out of it (albeit some luck). I don't disagree that Lebron makes the water murkier, although Lebron has taken this team to lengths it hadn't seen since Brad Daughtery, Mark Price, and Craig Ehlo. We may not like the stipulations of how the Cavs rose back to stardom, but the Lebron effect is undeniable.
Of course the LeBron effect is what brought Cleveland out of the dumps. But there are downsides to everything. And LeBron's approach is tough to deal with. The short term deals. The constant talking publicly about how his team isn't good enough. His overall passive aggressive nature. Him being at the center of everything. Those things wear on other star players after awhile. Kyrie has won a title. That's something Westbrook, Lillard, CP3, and other peers of his have not done.

Lastly, the LeBron effect is worth putting up with when you know you have a shot at winning a title. I think Kyrie is looking at Cleveland's roster and looking at the competition out West. He realizes their chances of winning only get worse from now on. And if they can't really win, then why put up with LeBron and all the comes with him?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Of course the LeBron effect is what brought Cleveland out of the dumps. But there are downsides to everything. And LeBron's approach is tough to deal with. The short term deals. The constant talking publicly about how his team isn't good enough. His overall passive aggressive nature. Him being at the center of everything. Those things wear on other star players after awhile. Kyrie has won a title. That's something Westbrook, Lillard, CP3, and other peers of his have not done.

Lastly, the LeBron effect is worth putting up with when you know you have a shot at winning a title. I think Kyrie is looking at Cleveland's roster and looking at the competition out West. He realizes their chances of winning only get worse from now on. And if they can't really win, then why put up with LeBron and all the comes with him?

I think that was obvious. As soon as D Wills corpse made it to the court and stunk up the arena, there was no chance. For Cleveland, or any team for that matter to have a shot against Golden State, everyone needed to play a notch above their ability. You saw that in Game 1 of the WCF when San Antonio was shredding Golden State. Then Pachulia happened and San Antonio all but disappeared.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
I'm trying to think where I would WANT Kyrie to go if I want a team to compete with GSW. I can't come up with a single trade in my head that would challenge GSW. Spurs would have to give up too much to get him so they'd be same as they are now. Other teams that already have superstars don't have the pieces to land him either. I guess it would be entertaining if he would go to Minnesota and they somehow kept most of their team in tact, which again won't happen but I'm clueless how this is going to play out.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm trying to think where I would WANT Kyrie to go if I want a team to compete with GSW. I can't come up with a single trade in my head that would challenge GSW. Spurs would have to give up too much to get him so they'd be same as they are now. Other teams that already have superstars don't have the pieces to land him either. I guess it would be entertaining if he would go to Minnesota and they somehow kept most of their team in tact, which again won't happen but I'm clueless how this is going to play out.
Too many people assume the deal has to happen now or in December. This could easily play out until the deadline or the end of next season in which the landscape will change drastically

I don't see a deal that makes the Cavs a better team this season. Remember this is a team that dealt with Kevin Love rumors the past two seasons and Lebron coming and going drama, an in season coach firing (first place team). They don't have to be in harmony and I believe disharmony and better roster is the preferred avenue with James on a one year deal.

They have a 34 year old GM making his first big decision- they won't rush to anything. They have a 25 year old superstar who thinks the world is flat- he can change his mind as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball