Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times

Advertisements

Ok, what do you all think about all the talk saying that the only reason Hansbrough will win is b/c he's white?

My opinion is that these people need to get a grip. Basketball is predominantly a black mans game. Beasley only played to get his one year in to go to the NBA. He's all about making his own self look good, not his team. That's obvious since his team is not ranked and has a so so record. He's trying to get as high in the draft as he can so he'll make more money. It's not about playing college ball for him. Hansbrough, on the other hand, is part of the number 1 team in the country and has been a workhorse all year. He upped his game when Lawson was out and kept the 'Heels winning when everyone thought they'd be down with him out. He doesn't post outrageous numbers but he is consistent day in and day out. He loves playing college ball and won't even talk about the NBA yet.

Like it or not, like him or not, Hansbrough DESERVES to be the National Player of the Year. It doesn't matter if he is white, black, purple, or green. I just really wish the race card would stop being played every time something doesn't go the way they want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I agree; Hansbrough deserves it. There are certainly other great players, as there always are, that would have legitimate arguments, but an objective observer could not say that Hansbrough is not deserving.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Ok, what do you all think about all the talk saying that the only reason Hansbrough will win is b/c he's white?
Thats just crazy talk. Hansbrough is the Player of the Year without question.
He's like a Magic Johnson, makes his team and teammates better when he's on the floor. Beasley, while putting up good numbers, really is only trying to shine himself for hopes of being picked in top ten of the draft.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Crazy talk. Hansborough earned it, he IS the player of the year hands down.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM

266 posts, read 1,333,348 times
That Hansbrough would win only because he's white is absurd. He's an incredible talent and deserves to be among the final considerations for POY.

Thing is, the POY recognition is not just about how well you boosted your team (although, if I was in charge, that would be one of the biggest factors). It certainly has nothing to do with being on the #1 team, no matter how good you are. Beasley is far better than Hansbrough in terms of boards and ppg, and according to most basketball analysts, will perform much better in the NBA than Hansbrough would. Not to take anything away from Tyler, he's averaged what, 18+ points a season? He's a blast to watch too (see: AMAZING dunk over 7'7 Kenny George of UNC Asheville). As a disclaimer, I hate K-State and I don't think Beasley has shown even a fraction of the maturity off the court that Hansborough has maintained throughout his career.

The point I'm making is that if you watch enough college ball, you'll understand that there are more important considerations in choosing a POY than what team you're on. How much you contribute to your team's success is more significant, although preferably that would be one of the primary considerations as well as class shown. Hansbrough would indeed be more deserving on both accounts.

EDIT: Case in point: Jason Thompson of Rider has averaged 20.6 ppg and 12.0 rpg this season. He is a relatively unknown player but a complete workhorse. Rider ended the season with a 13-5 record in the MAAC and 23-10 overall, but still lost to Siena in the MAAC championship game, putting their bid hopes in doubt. I don't believe Thompson is being considered heavily for POY, but it just goes to show that many of the best players do not play for elite teams.

Last edited by AndyJ; 03-12-2008 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,539 times
Beasley may win it BECAUSE Hansbrough is white.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Hansbrough: 23.1 PPG, 10.5 RPG on the best team in the Nation. One of the grittiest and toughest players in the country.

Beasley will be a better pro but Psycho-T is the POY in the NCAA for '08!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
I really think that Hansborough answered all the critics today. He made it clear today that he's the player of the year. That was a great performance not to mention his dance after the last shot, he showed that he can not only play ball but he can also get down!!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I really think that Hansborough answered all the critics today. He made it clear today that he's the player of the year. That was a great performance not to mention his dance after the last shot, he showed that he can not only play ball but he can also get down!!
YOU KNOW IT!
Not even a question at this point.
GO HEELS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball