Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Did Westbrook get dunked on worse than any superstar in history? I give him credit though for getting in there and trying to take a charge against a much bigger player - most will play that matador defense on dunk attempts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Did Westbrook get dunked on worse than any superstar in history? I give him credit though for getting in there and trying to take a charge against a much bigger player - most will play that matador defense on dunk attempts.
Meh, great players don't care about getting dunked on or having shots blocked, they just keep bringing it.

Meanwhile, Stephen Adams went 10-11 with 10 offensive boards against Embiid... used him like a rental car in the paint where it really counts for centers.

Westbrook and Adams also got a win, Embiid got a loss.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Meh, great players don't care about getting dunked on or having shots blocked, they just keep bringing it.

Meanwhile, Stephen Adams went 10-11 with 10 offensive boards against Embiid... used him like a rental car in the paint where it really counts for centers.

Westbrook and Adams also got a win, Embiid got a loss.
And Embiid still had the nerve to post the dunk on his instagram account. Lol

Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Might be more that he grew up “comfortableâ€; Klay Thompson (son of a Laker) was a childhood friend. I think Delladova fit in better there, but overall it’s chickens coming home to roost for allowing a player to run the entire organization. The top-down systems have prospered for a reason, and that’s why Boston is the future of the East.
Please.

Love fits in well in Cleveland. It is absolutely hilarious that people buy a story from Raja Bell--he was axed & has an axe to grind. Bell wasn't in the locker room--he was in the front office. LBJ runs the organization because he is the organization. The Cavs front office was comically bad in his first time around, and he was willing to build in his home State in exchange for control over the FO. LeGM is not the league's best, but he got the Cavs to open their wallets and put legitimate teams on the floor--teams with a real shot at winning (and winning once).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
LeBron strong-arms an organization into overpaying veterans who can't keep up on defense and role players who lack talent (*cough* Tristan Thompson). Plus he uses his condescending attitude to chase off a superstar point guard. Then when the team implodes all the players think the solution is to -- you guessed it -- bully Kevin Love! Makes perfect sense, right?

I'm not a K-Love fan, but I agree 100% it's ridiculous for these guys to try to scapegoat him, as if he wasn't averaging 20 and 10 before IT came back. Kevin should go into the next b.s. team meeting and come back at IT and the rest of those guys like Shannon Sharpe said: "PUT SOME TIME IN, BRUH!" (2:57). lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR93fJxmGqY
Love fit well enough to sign a 5 year, $110M deal--expecting to spend the rest of his prime with LBJ in Cleveland. Irving demanded out. LBJ (rightfully) probably wanted to move him for Paul George. Irving couldn't handle the pressure and headed for the exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Racism against whites may exist in basketball but you’ll never really hear it talked about...especially when it’s a “privileged†guy like Love. I’ve often thought that you have to be tough as nails to be an American born white player/star in the NBA. Look at Larry Bird...talk enough crap and he’s swinging on anybody in the league. John Stockton; wears short shorts, considered dirty and just doesn’t give a damn. Chris Mullin strikes me as a tougher guy too.

I get more of an old school “he’s the spoiled, soft, overrated white dude†vibe from Lebron and his teammates. I bet Love would fit right in with Warriors though...Thompson and Curry are essentially Kevin Love with darker skin. Love could do his thing with no worries of being scapegoated.
This is ridiculous. Love is a great player. He fits well in Cleveland and would fit well in GS. He's not a scapegoat in Cleveland.

The Cavs are expected to contend for a title. They are sucking. Everybody is on edge because they are underachieving. That's normal. You would be concerned if the Cavs were this mediocre and reports were that the locker room is in perfect harmony. The Cavs will either figure it out on the court and the reports will fizzle, or they won't figure it out and there will be a major overhaul this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
I know, I can't stand IT, even before I ever heard him speak I knew he was a brat.
I was amazed when Max Kellerman said "Isaiah is my favorite player in the whole league!"
IT has managed to make the legendary Isiah Thomas of the Detroit Pistons an extremely likable character.
IT just reaching the NBA at 5'9" is a testament to his work ethic and talent. He was a star last year, probably the best PG in the East (excluding Lebron). I hope his body recovers, because the NBA benefits from players that dynamic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think Crowder and Thomas benefited from the heavily structured offense and defense that Brad Stevens ran. Crowder looked good defensively because all of his teammates were committed as well. When the backline defense is there wing players can really press up on the opposition. When you know all of your guys will rotate you can do so without a second thought. Without that structure he's really lost in Cleveland.

Offensively, Thomas had a green light in Boston. And even then Stevens knew how to deploy Thomas at the right times. It wasn't all IT all the time. But in fourth quarters Stevens knew how to run sets for Thomas and really set him loose.

Without that a real game offensively and defensively Thomas and Crowder just aren't the same players.
Crowder has never been *that* good. He is a decent piece, able to shoot when wide open and offering the physical tools (if not the mental ones) of quality defense.

Thomas has been that good. When healthy, he is a special player. Hip surgery, an empty offseason, and missing the first third of the season have all contributed to his current status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I don't see the Celtics reaching the Finals because they have a weak bench.
I don't see the Celtics reaching the Finals because they are playing harder than everyone right now. They are not more talented than the Cavs (or even the Raptors), but they are putting in more effort. The effort gap will close in the postseason. And the talent gap will appear.

Quote:
True, but at least the bench isn't used as much in the playoffs anyway, especially in a series of close games.
Smart, Rozier, and Morris are really nice bench pieces. Tatum will be, too, next year.

Quote:
And Philly only has 2 more losses than the 3rd placed Cavs, and Philly had one of the most difficult schedules early in the season.
Philly are a solid road team too, so they could do something in the playoffs.
I still expect the 76ers to lose first round. The Cavs are 4 games ahead of them. I think their highest likely finish is 6, matching them up with the Raptors or Cavs in Round 1. That won't end well for them, I think. There is a lot to like about their future, but they are just too young right now.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Please.

Love fits in well in Cleveland. It is absolutely hilarious that people buy a story from Raja Bell--he was axed & has an axe to grind. Bell wasn't in the locker room--he was in the front office. LBJ runs the organization because he is the organization. The Cavs front office was comically bad in his first time around, and he was willing to build in his home State in exchange for control over the FO. LeGM is not the league's best, but he got the Cavs to open their wallets and put legitimate teams on the floor--teams with a real shot at winning (and winning once).

Love fit well enough to sign a 5 year, $110M deal--expecting to spend the rest of his prime with LBJ in Cleveland. Irving demanded out. LBJ (rightfully) probably wanted to move him for Paul George. Irving couldn't handle the pressure and headed for the exit.

This is ridiculous. Love is a great player. He fits well in Cleveland and would fit well in GS. He's not a scapegoat in Cleveland.

The Cavs are expected to contend for a title. They are sucking. Everybody is on edge because they are underachieving. That's normal. You would be concerned if the Cavs were this mediocre and reports were that the locker room is in perfect harmony. The Cavs will either figure it out on the court and the reports will fizzle, or they won't figure it out and there will be a major overhaul this offseason.

IT just reaching the NBA at 5'9" is a testament to his work ethic and talent. He was a star last year, probably the best PG in the East (excluding Lebron). I hope his body recovers, because the NBA benefits from players that dynamic.

Crowder has never been *that* good. He is a decent piece, able to shoot when wide open and offering the physical tools (if not the mental ones) of quality defense.

Thomas has been that good. When healthy, he is a special player. Hip surgery, an empty offseason, and missing the first third of the season have all contributed to his current status.

I don't see the Celtics reaching the Finals because they are playing harder than everyone right now. They are not more talented than the Cavs (or even the Raptors), but they are putting in more effort. The effort gap will close in the postseason. And the talent gap will appear.

Smart, Rozier, and Morris are really nice bench pieces. Tatum will be, too, next year.

I still expect the 76ers to lose first round. The Cavs are 4 games ahead of them. I think their highest likely finish is 6, matching them up with the Raptors or Cavs in Round 1. That won't end well for them, I think. There is a lot to like about their future, but they are just too young right now.

The way they been playing the west teams the sixers wont be a easy out

Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Adios Blake, back to the cellar for the woeful Clippers, the cursed team.

Next up on the trade block, Jordan.

Shoulda coulda woulda.

Sources: Clippers trade All-Star forward Blake Griffin to Pistons

Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Hilarious that Jordan was the first one to try to leave, but the last man standing in lob city!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 PM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Hilarious that Jordan was the first one to try to leave, but the last man standing in lob city!
Its like the Addams family moves out and leaves Lurch behind....

Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I doubt DeAndre will be around for long; this is probably the best deal they could get for Blake with his contract and injury history, and will flip Jordan for more draft picks. It's a shame it will be Doc Rivers who will be using them.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Jerry West is doing his thing. They are going to be horrid for awhile here but are stockpiling picks and cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball