Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times

Advertisements

Basketball is a great game. Anyone else under 5'10 that loves to play (and obviously love to watch)? I'm 5'8 and I don't post up many people but love to play good defense, pass the ball and have developed a good outside shot.

I look at what NBA (and college) stars at their height can do and am amazed. I once heard someone say basketball is only for tall people and I attempt to combat the stereotype. Go Isaiah Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 01:27 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Basketball is a great game. Anyone else under 5'10 that loves to play (and obviously love to watch)? I'm 5'8 and I don't post up many people but love to play good defense, pass the ball and have developed a good outside shot.

I look at what NBA (and college) stars at their height can do and am amazed. I once heard someone say basketball is only for tall people and I attempt to combat the stereotype. Go Isaiah Thomas
I'm 5'7 and grew up playing streetball. Football is my first love, always was and always will be, but I love basketball too. I haven't actually played since the summer, but I play every once in a while...

I'm 28 years old, I tried out for a basketball team twice. Seventh grade I made it to the final four or five cuts, and eighth grade I made the final cut. The damn coach made me and the other guy play one-on-one, I think to 5, to see who would be the final player on the roster, which looking back is kinda cutthroat to do to 13-year olds lol. I ****ing lost to the other guy, but I remember I was kind of an honorary member of the team that year, as far as relationship with other players...

The reality is I was never a great ball player, and I never learned how to play organized basketball. On the streets growing up I was recognized as a good defender, probably because I got to foul alot without getting called lol, but good defense helped compensate for my lack of size and scoring ability. I think had a actually made a team and learned positioning from a coach and how to play defense within a scheme, I could have been an awesome defender. As it was, I had a bad jumper that has gotten better as I've aged, but I always had these odd streaks where I'd nail like five threes in a row. I think growing up I got in about three fights at the park, because I was a legit trash talker. When I was on someone's team, I wasn't picked because I could score, and when I had it going it was embarrassing to whoever would guard me and I rubbed it in their faces. I had a slight game where I'd attack the rim, I modeled my street gane after Iverson and at times I could be successful, but I got a lot of shots blocked and got knocked down alot because of my height. Lol...

I enjoy the game because I grew up playing it. I still enjoy playing. I was real close to making a team those two times but even if I made a team, I never had the height or physical ability to be a high school starter; I could have have been one of the last guys off the bench though...

Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 AM

412 posts, read 301,894 times
If you like playing basketball, just play Height disadvantage should not be a turnoff

Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
About half the male population is under 5’10 and I bet millions upon millions of them love playing basketball.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm 5'7 and grew up playing streetball. Football is my first love, always was and always will be, but I love basketball too. I haven't actually played since the summer, but I play every once in a while...

I'm 28 years old, I tried out for a basketball team twice. Seventh grade I made it to the final four or five cuts, and eighth grade I made the final cut. The damn coach made me and the other guy play one-on-one, I think to 5, to see who would be the final player on the roster, which looking back is kinda cutthroat to do to 13-year olds lol. I ****ing lost to the other guy, but I remember I was kind of an honorary member of the team that year, as far as relationship with other players...

The reality is I was never a great ball player, and I never learned how to play organized basketball. On the streets growing up I was recognized as a good defender, probably because I got to foul alot without getting called lol, but good defense helped compensate for my lack of size and scoring ability. I think had a actually made a team and learned positioning from a coach and how to play defense within a scheme, I could have been an awesome defender. As it was, I had a bad jumper that has gotten better as I've aged, but I always had these odd streaks where I'd nail like five threes in a row. I think growing up I got in about three fights at the park, because I was a legit trash talker. When I was on someone's team, I wasn't picked because I could score, and when I had it going it was embarrassing to whoever would guard me and I rubbed it in their faces. I had a slight game where I'd attack the rim, I modeled my street gane after Iverson and at times I could be successful, but I got a lot of shots blocked and got knocked down alot because of my height. Lol...

I enjoy the game because I grew up playing it. I still enjoy playing. I was real close to making a team those two times but even if I made a team, I never had the height or physical ability to be a high school starter; I could have have been one of the last guys off the bench though...
Nice reply. One thing I learned while playing "street" ball at the courts at the university I went to years ago is it's far different than playing an organized team (of college aged guys). On the pickup games my friends and I kept the same team for a few months and we were really good. We then signed up for an IM league within the university and I think we might of won 3 of 10 games....lol. The teams we played against in the league had passing, set plays and played defense. It was a learning experience going from the pickup to league games.

My most challenging thing whether pickup or league is playing against a bigger guy that wants to post you up. Any insights on how to defend these guys?

Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
About half the male population is under 5’10 and I bet millions upon millions of them love playing basketball.
Yep

Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Nice reply. One thing I learned while playing "street" ball at the courts at the university I went to years ago is it's far different than playing an organized team (of college aged guys). On the pickup games my friends and I kept the same team for a few months and we were really good. We then signed up for an IM league within the university and I think we might of won 3 of 10 games....lol. The teams we played against in the league had passing, set plays and played defense. It was a learning experience going from the pickup to league games.

My most challenging thing whether pickup or league is playing against a bigger guy that wants to post you up. Any insights on how to defend these guys?
When you meet them on defense, don’t allow them to get close to the basket...always make it a struggle to get in a comfortable position where they can catch the ball within 7-8 feet of the basket, turn and score. For example, when they run down the court, you start defending them at the 3 point line instead of waiting for them in paint. Hopefully they aren’t much stronger and able to bully you for position and hopefully they can’t simply drive by you or pull up for jumpers you can’t reach to defend.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:26 PM

78,371 posts, read 60,566,039 times
As a shorter player (I quit playing...got too old and all the guys my age were blowing out knees, Achilles etc.) one way to defend the post is to semi-front them which will allow you to pick off bad passes into the post.

Don't let them get a body on you and then zip around to intercept.

Also, if they're guarding you at the other end...sprint down so they have to go with you and try to tire the bigger player out.

Lastly, don't actually try to block them because you can't but pretend to. If you leave your feet bad things happen. Just make sure you box them out so they don't get their miss.

Lastly, consider switching whom you defend. If I have some guy 6 inches taller than me with skills, I'm going to ask if someone else is better defending him.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
All of this. Yep.

I am getting older, but I still play. For me, it has always been a great stress release to just shoot hoop. Honestly, I don't know when I am ever going to totally stop playing basketball. All my life, all I have needed is a hoop and a ball. I can shoot by myself for hours, and the older I get, the less I need to just play competitive games (And I have lost my quick first step a couple of years ago, anyway...Lol). I can just shoot...

...and shoot...

...and shoot...

...and shoot...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 AM

78,371 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
All of this. Yep.

I am getting older, but I still play. For me, it has always been a great stress release to just shoot hoop. Honestly, I don't know when I am ever going to totally stop playing basketball. All my life, all I have needed is a hoop and a ball. I can shoot by myself for hours, and the older I get, the less I need to just play competitive games (And I have lost my quick first step a couple of years ago, anyway...Lol). I can just shoot...

...and shoot...

...and shoot...

...and shoot...
Ever considered taking up Frisbee golf? Relatively cheap, no tee times, no uptight "golfers" or dress code etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball