Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times

Advertisements

Quite the day yesterday and it will continue as more info is leaked.

FBI probe into corruption reveals basketball powers may have broken NCAA rules

Sean Miller will be the first casualty of it all at the head coach level as I doubt he'll ever coach another college game again, as he shouldn't. Arizona has a game tonight so we'll see if they have any integrity whatsoever or will allow him to coach and Ayton to play.

This was the least kept secret in the history of "secrets" though. The amount of blame for the game getting to this point is really a long list.

NCAA for not setting up a way to pay players to head off some of this.
Shoe companies for injecting dirty money into AAU and college basketball as quickly as they can to try and influence for potential future gain.
AAU for having coaches making $200k and funneling kids based on where the coaches are getting paid from.
College coaches for enabling and participating in this and paying to get players.

The list of places that are systemically broken is a long one and there's a lot to fix. Not sure the NCAA will punish schools (as there are a lot) or go after the individual figures causing the issue.

The REALLY sad part is this all came from ONE AGENT. Think about that for a second. A single agent, not even a big one really, created all of this. You think he's the only shady one out there? LOL

The system is completely rotten from the inside and needs a full overhaul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 02:54 PM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Miller: good riddance, what a liar and phony. Of course he won't be the only casualty. It's sad on one hand, and a lot of these programs and the NCAA we knew were a disgrace. I'm happy watching mid major and lower high level programs. Best basketball to watch anyways. If there is corruption, no evidence of it from the FBI report. And most of these particular athletes actually graduate. These schools that allow these obvious one and dones to be enrolled at their schools are getting exactly what they deserve; can't blame the NCAA and agents for EVERYTHING.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:39 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Quite the day yesterday and it will continue as more info is leaked.

FBI probe into corruption reveals basketball powers may have broken NCAA rules

Weasel word of the day, "may"... also "may not".

Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
as i understand miller will not be coaching the team tonight. as for ayton, chances are he plays tonight anyway, we shall see. i have a feeling that miller saw this coming when he hired lorenzo romar after washington let him go, and made him an associate head coach. i hope romar doesnt get caught up in this crap though, again we shall see.

it does disappoint me though that miller got caught up in this crap, but from what i have heard this isnt new, in fact it goes back many many years and is nation wide.

the really bad thing is if arizona fires miller for cause, he still walks away with $10.3 million for a contract buyout.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Sean Miller will be the first casualty of it all at the head coach level as I doubt he'll ever coach another college game again, as he shouldn't.
Rick Pitino of Louisville was the first casualty in this investigation, which has been on-going for months now.

Quote:
NCAA for not setting up a way to pay players to head off some of this.
If players want to be paid, they can set up a minor league system.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I grew up in Illinois in the 1970's. Illinois state U. was never a basketball power, but somehow Doug Collins went there. He's now known mostly as a coach, but he did play in the NBA 8 years as a shooting guard. My friend at ISU told me that as a 'struggling' college student Collins had a Corvette and a Lincoln Continental sedan. Most college students back then did not even have a TV, much less a car.

So that was about 45 years ago. I doubt that things will change after this case, but coaches and their staff will just get smarter about avoiding detection. Miller did his deal on a cell phone. That's the last time that will happen.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
yup, this issue has been going on for many many years, and the NCAA has been letting the schools get away with more and more over those years. the only reason its coming to a head now is because the FBI has gotten involved in the issue. a lot of coaches are going to lose their jobs, a lot of student athletes are going to get hurt in this, and a lot of schools are going to have ncaa sanctions put on them, probably enough schools that the 2019 ncaa champion will be some school that few have heard of, or are at best a middle of the road school. probably some school like rhode island state, or eastern southern washington st college or some such school.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
The whole system is rotten, and why those who crow about the college game being more “pure” are full of it. Everyone is making millions off these kids while they get suspended if they’re given so much as a free sandwich.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
It's strange on one hand why much more of the sleaziness is harped upon by the media when it comes to basketball than football, sans the FBI wiretaps publicized the last six months. I think it comes down to agents being able to pinpoint top professional prospects at a younger age more so in hoops. Then the reality also, where one player easily is worth $100,000 to a top tier program, which can be the difference between a national contender and being a third tier team. Still, high time these two sports get fixed for a litany of reasons beyond just agents and bribes. Issues exist too probably with other niche sports in a few select programs.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Well the kids are having college paid for and at some of those schools, that's quite a big of money. For the more talented ones, this is a showcase for their NBA draft.

They can try to hide it all they want but they will get caught. It doesn't have to come down to intercepting e-mails or text messages. When a kid and/or his family are suddenly driving new cars, buy a new house, etc., that's suspect right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball