Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times

Advertisements

Billy Donovan is doing the same thing that Scott Brooks did, let Westbrook and Durant/George play their games. It worked decently well with Westbrook/Durant. Made it to the Finals and won a game as a very young team. Where the franchise stubbed its toe was letting Harden go to Houston. None of us can see into the future, but there's no denying that not keeping Harden was a brick wall to the team's progression. Then, as the years went on, Durant was not only tired of not making it to the Finals, but he was tired of playing with Westbrook. That also played out well for Durant, because he went to the Finals, won, and was the Finals MVP.

Westbrook is the common denominator here, but what do you do? Steven Adams is not capable of being the face of your franchise. OKC isn't a destination spot, so even though Westbrook is wreck less, you need someone who can help move tickets. He's the lead banana, because no other star is likely going there, and the team won't be bad enough to gain a lottery pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jazz up 3-1 over OKC!

You have three scorers in George, Westbrook, and Anthony, and their stats in the fourth quarter are pathetic! Looks like will be yet another disappointing year for OKC and Westbrook, who must be wondering what will it ever take.
New York has exported pizza, bagels, and cheesecake to the rest of the country.

Our most recent export is Carmelo ball. To OKC specifically.

You're welcome.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
What happened to playoff P? Lol

Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York has exported pizza, bagels, and cheesecake to the rest of the country.

Our most recent export is Carmelo ball. To OKC specifically.

You're welcome.
The guy seemed to be toxic wherever he went.

Mitchell continues to be spectacular.

Just how the heck did Donovan Mitchell drop to 13th overall in the 2017 NBA draft?

Quote:
It happens all the time in every sport: A seemingly flawed prospect sinks like a stone in drafts and blossoms into a superstar.

The latest case: Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell, who came from Louisville as a career 11.7 ppg shooting guard who had a solid second season for the Cardinals (15.6 ppg, 2.1 spg) and dropped all the way to 13th overall, where he was taken by the Denver Nuggets and dealt to the Jazz for Tyler Lydon and Trey Lyles.

Then, he positively exploded in his rookie season and might lead the Jazz to a first-round playoff defeat of Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM

88 posts, read 50,597 times
The rookie of the year should be shared between Donovan Mitchell and Ben Simmons. Donovan has been playing with so much maturity.

Russ is a great athlete & his energy & effort is remarkable, but IQ wise he's dumb as a rock on a basketball court. Going back to 2012 NBA Finals, we've seen minimal growth from him in terms of reading the floor, decision making, identifying mismatches, etc....KD bailed out of OKC because of Russ, PERIOD!

While I appreciate Russ wanting to take up the challenge of trying to shut Ricky Rubio down, his ego during the whole series caused him to focus on the wrong things and as a result, he was not able to lead his team in the right way. Westbrook is a great player, capable of putting up monster stats; but OKC can not win with him playing this way.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
Quote:
Well that was quick.

Rockets delivering a reality check to the Twolves.
The Rockets have gears that the Twolves can't reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The regular season Rockets finally showed up. The 50 spot was impressive.

Here's my problem... The 4thQ.

Popvich and Kerr would be looking to win the quarter and continue playing well. Rockets put it in cruise and got a little sloppy. Bad habits....

Let's be real. They outplayed the Wolves in one quarter. Their playoff resume is still weak, as is D'Antoni's.

Close out games are tough... I am interested in how they respond.
No basketball team is immune from easing up with a big lead. I think the Twolves should be proud that they took a game from the season's best team to this point. They're still young, and Wiggins' defense is coming along nicely. Capela is doing work on KAT, who's got some things to learn this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Westbrick is a joke. Lol.
I don't mean to say I've been telling you all . . .

Quote:
Jazz up 3-1 over OKC!

You have three scorers in George, Westbrook, and Anthony, and their stats in the fourth quarter are pathetic! Looks like will be yet another disappointing year for OKC and Westbrook, who must be wondering what will it ever take.
This was a trio that was never going to work. Their best player (if he's thinking basketball) will be heading for greener pastures in the offseason. OKC is going to tie up bundles of cash next year in two guys who are just not winners. Immensely talented? Yes. Winners? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think it has been said before, but watching Melo continually shooting jumpers is painful to watch. I know this whole debacle to this point, isnt all his fault, but I almost find myself screaming at the television: "Drive to the basket, damn!"

But, as I said earlier in the season, it is frustrating to watch OKC play offense because they really dont do anything. It is somewhere in a thread how Russ doesnt move on offense after he passes to the wing.

The Jazz play defense--and watching OKC play their pathetic offense against them--is painful to watch.
Credit to Rudy Gobert for controlling the paint. Russ is at his best when he attacks the rim, but Rudy as a shot blocker, shot changer, and rim deterrent has been masterful at bottling #0. The Thunder's stars are all ball-dominant players. George has done a very nice job of adjusting to life off ball. Carmelo has been . . . better than I expected at adjusting. He just doesn't have the athleticism anymore, and his IQ never developed enough to compensate. Russ is Russ. He will never be the best player on a contender. He is destined to spending the rest of his athletic prime with a Thunder team that fights to make the playoffs and is likely bounced in Round 1. As he loses his athletic edge . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Not surprised by the Thunder losing at all; they’ve had high-volume, low FG% shooting from their three stars all season. Good on the Jazz for taking advantage.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Billy Donovan is doing the same thing that Scott Brooks did, let Westbrook and Durant/George play their games. It worked decently well with Westbrook/Durant. Made it to the Finals and won a game as a very young team. Where the franchise stubbed its toe was letting Harden go to Houston. None of us can see into the future, but there's no denying that not keeping Harden was a brick wall to the team's progression. Then, as the years went on, Durant was not only tired of not making it to the Finals, but he was tired of playing with Westbrook. That also played out well for Durant, because he went to the Finals, won, and was the Finals MVP.

Westbrook is the common denominator here, but what do you do? Steven Adams is not capable of being the face of your franchise. OKC isn't a destination spot, so even though Westbrook is wreck less, you need someone who can help move tickets. He's the lead banana, because no other star is likely going there, and the team won't be bad enough to gain a lottery pick.
When you've been through 2 coaches and a rotating cast of stars, you have to look at the franchise player. Neither Donovan nor Brooks ever had a real chance here. If Durant's supreme offensive game couldn't get Russ to defer, then nothing can. Presti wasted some great drafts, and should probably never work in a front office again. The ownership group's luxury avoidance scheme cost this team dearly.

Adams is a great big. The right move--the one that will never be made--is to move Westbrook.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:19 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
I will give the Rockets a little more credit for last night. Their run last from mid 2ndQ into the 4thQ.

It was 39-31 Wolves... It went to 104-69. That's a 73-30 run.

They still need to close out better though...

Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 PM

I think the Bucks/Celtics series is going 7

Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
My bet is that the weak officials will find some excuse to let Westbrook play despite the rules. No way would they want to be responsible for suspending such a star player.

NBA apparently reviewing whether Russell Westbrook should be suspended for Thunder-Jazz Game 5

Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Boston about to go up 3-2 in the series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball