Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,376,736 times

Advertisements

I know this is a stretch since Ayton and Bagley only played together for one month at Hillcrest Prep in the Fall of 2015 and Bagley was in a grade behind Ayton, but I got to see them play together during that month when they came down to Tucson to play Pima Community College.

Even though I'm a University of Arizona Alum and fan, I thought Bagley looked better than Ayton, at least in that game, time will tell how each will turn out in the pros. I guess I can at least say I saw them play together on the same high school team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM

78,675 posts, read 60,867,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I know this is a stretch since Ayton and Bagley only played together for one month at Hillcrest Prep in the Fall of 2015 and Bagley was in a grade behind Ayton, but I got to see them play together during that month when they came down to Tucson to play Pima Community College.

Even though I'm a University of Arizona Alum and fan, I thought Bagley looked better than Ayton, at least in that game, time will tell how each will turn out in the pros. I guess I can at least say I saw them play together on the same high school team!
Why did they only play together for one month? Did it take longer than expected to get enough cash in a grocery bag to get them to move there?

Big time HS sports are only a shade less ugly than the NCAA.

I've seen it first hand.

But hey! At least they made it unlike (not joking) the 6'8 guy that cleans the bathrooms where I work.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,376,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why did they only play together for one month? Did it take longer than expected to get enough cash in a grocery bag to get them to move there?

Big time HS sports are only a shade less ugly than the NCAA.

I've seen it first hand.

But hey! At least they made it unlike (not joking) the 6'8 guy that cleans the bathrooms where I work.
No doubt, elite level high school basketball is shady as heck, here's a great article the breaks down Ayton and Begley playing at Hillcrest Prep:

Short and sweet: The month Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley spent together at Hillcrest

Two days later, on Veterans Day 2011, azcentral reported that Marvin Jr. was taking Bagley and his brother out of Hillcrest because of “the negativity following the program.”

For one, the NCAA had knocked on the door of Starshine Academy about two weeks earlier, according to azcentral.

The article said that the NCAA would not call the visit an investigation and noted that “It is not unusual for the NCAA to show up when a new basketball academy opens to check on academics.” The article also quoted the NCAA’s director of media relations, Emily James, who said that Hillcrest did not have a list of NCAA courses.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM

939 posts, read 508,791 times
No, hasn't happened beyond this year's occurrence.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,294,376 times
I don't think people understand how expensive AAU is and all the travel time required. Not all these athletes have both Mom and Dad at home, so I can see why some of these kids or the parent(s) getting paid a little. The school and program gets a lot of exposure from these athletes, before they attempt to go one and done in college. Teenagers, and even tweens, play sports year round now, so there's a big market for kids who are a step or two above their competition. NCAA just cashed in on it long before AAU started closing the gap. Lebron James, as far as my lowly opinion goes, likely helped greatly in putting prep schools and AAU programs on the map. The game changed with him and will never be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball