Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Huge gamble for the Raptors. Kawhi doesn't want to play there and will likely bolt for the Lakers next summer anyway. I get Toronto wanting to shake things up but the timing on this trade isn't ideal for them in the long-run.
Gamble or not, this will be the biggest star to ever play for their roster. That's worth something. No big time free agent would ever voluntarily go to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:54 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I wish I could be paid over 20 million per year and " insulted" at being traded/feeling hurt.

These pros have lost touch with the real world don't you think??

Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I wish I could be paid over 20 million per year and " insulted" at being traded/feeling hurt.

These pros have lost touch with the real world don't you think??
They lost sight of the real world when the "Hoop Dreams" started and they were recruited as pre-teens for big sports high schools. One year out of high school and the genetic lottery winners will earn more than everyone I know combined, and I have two relatives who made it to the NFL for two years. If that is not the definition of "F me" money I don't know what is.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They lost sight of the real world when the "Hoop Dreams" started and they were recruited as pre-teens for big sports high schools. One year out of high school and the genetic lottery winners will earn more than everyone I know combined, and I have two relatives who made it to the NFL for two years. If that is not the definition of "F me" money I don't know what is.
In the real world, labor can take their services to any employer who would have them. We’re conditionec to think of pro sports as something other than work, but it isn’t. Most successful people were “genetic lottery winners”. They were born into households that could provide them with everything they need to achieve success.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
I'm happy that Kawhi has changed his mind and decided to give his one year in Toronto a fair chance. I think he still walks at the end of the year but this year, if all breaks right for Toronto, will be their best year in franchise history. I expect this team to have either pulled even with Boston for next year or slightly surpassed Boston and they have a real shot at making the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history next year (I think if everything breaks right for them that they will).

Kawhi Leonard is easily the best player to ever don a Toronto Raptors jersey and given Toronto's track record in drafting talent and acquiring them in free agency, it might stay that way forever (Hakeem was way over the hill by the time he suited up for his 1 year in Toronto).

Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
In the real world, labor can take their services to any employer who would have them. We’re conditionec to think of pro sports as something other than work, but it isn’t. Most successful people were “genetic lottery winners”. They were born into households that could provide them with everything they need to achieve success.
The thing about winning a lottery is for the real world it becomes the moment to retire. Not to continue to squeeze a giant body into aircraft half of the year as basketball workers do. Some continue to work for the other fringe benefits like being able to attract groupies on the extended road trips or just applause from thousands.

However when a player doesn't want the fringe benefits the money is so huge that along with doing one year in college and stopping to qualify for the NBA that working one season and stopping like many real world lottery winners would do is an ever increasingly enticing offer. In effect so what if my body can keep this up for 5 or 10 more years I have more now than everyone else I grew up knowing combined. A basketball worker joining the real world does retire as a very young man. And hopefully he can control himself and not spend his lottery winnings all at once.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Outstanding move for both sides. Toronto looked like a sinking ship after firing Casey. This will keep them relevant and competitive...

I think they have a shot to win the East. The biggest unknowns are if Kawhi can return to form and the coaching acumen of Nick Nurse and how he will perform in big spots, and how will he manage Kawhi and what he can do to convince him to re-sign. Other than that, this team has a smart GM, an assumed Top 10 caliber player, excellent team defense, depth, shooting, size...there is nothing not to like about this from Toronto's perspective. You got a superstar in return for DeRozan, who is a good player but a chronic postseason underperformer who is a below average defender with a throwback offensive game. That was your best player...

I want to see how Kawhi looks in preseason but from jump, you have to expect the Raptors are still a Top 3 seed at worst. Potentially, I think they can be the #1 if Kawhi returns to form and The Nurse has quality coaching. I have serious doubts that Boston is going to demolish The East. Serious, serious doubts. The Raptors are in a good spot...

Conversely:

This is addition by subtraction for San Antonio. They won 47 games without Kawhi. This is Year 3 of the Aldridge era and I think DeRozan may be a more natural complement. You have to think 50 wins is easily attainable now. The thing for the Spurs is they are in a crowded and very competitive field, so they could land anywhere from 3-8 in seeding. But they are retooling the roster, and Houston is going to take a step back, and DeRozan adds a reason to believe they can compete with OKC, Utah, or the Pels or the Lakers. The Spurs will be fine, though they've lost defensive flexibility...

The way I see it for the Spurs, Aldrudge is getting long in the tooth and you have two guaranteed years with DeRozan. This is the year to see if Aldridge is the player he supposedly was in Portland. A Top 4 seed is attainable and they are seemingly level with every team in their bracket besides Golden State. Get us a Top 4 seed, and if they get the Dubs, fight your best fight. If Aldridge can't be a true #1, next season will have to be s true rebuilding year...

DeRozan was never a true #1, we have 9 years of evidence to support my position, so he shouldnt br relied upon for that. I think he can be a GREAT #2, given there is a true #1 on the roster. This team has potential, and Pop will get the most out of DeMar...

Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
For the record, Aldridge has never led a team to higher than a 4-seed, 54-wins, or beyond 5 games in the semifinals. This trade allows him the room to operate as the unquestioned #1 again and gives him the legitimate #2 he didnt have last year. This is put up or shut up year for him...

Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
If Kawhi plays up to his pre-injury form, the Raps will be a legit 60+ win team that contends for the title. A healthy, fully engaged Kawhi is one of the best two-way players in the game.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
IDK, looking at the Raptors roster, now they have the two 'KL' stars, but just not enough of a supporting cast behind them. If I'm a GM, the only other player I'm remotely interested in is Ibaka. They would have to get career years out of Miles and VanVleet to get to 60 wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball